• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith in Christ is Completely Logical

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I'm sure it doesn't really matter who claimed it. Surely many scientists believe it. I'm presently reading a book by Bill Bryson entitled "A brief history of nearly everything". It was published in 2003 by Broadway books. Here's a quote from his book I found on page 10:

It is natural but wrong to visualize the singularity as a kind of pregnant dot hanging in a dark, boundless void. But there is no space, no darkness. The singularity has no "around" around it. There is no space for it to occupy, no place for it to be. We can't even ask how long it has been there - whether it has just lately popped into being, like a good idea, or whether it has been there forever, quietly awaiting the right moment. Time doesn't exist. There is no past for it to emerge from.
And so, from nothing, our universe begins."

I recognize that Bryson is no scientist, and I can't say I'm certain at this point where he got his information, but I can only imagine that it must have come from scientists' general consensus.
What is your point mate?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Sure I have, and I have concluded that because I don't agree with you, you consider me to be stubborn, illogical, and aggressive. I realize that this is a two-way-street, and aggression is often met with aggression, but there is always a first aggressor, and it's not me.
Except that the bible instructs you very clearly that you MUST speak to others about your faith with kindness, patience and compassion. And FYI, you are usually the first aggressor.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Except that the bible instructs you very clearly that you MUST speak to others about your faith with kindness, patience and compassion. And FYI, you are usually the first aggressor.
I especially like how he knew I considered him blah blah blah "because I disagree with you."

I've only been back on RF for a few hours, @Sonofason I wasn't even aware you disagreed with me.

Sonofason

No? And what have I said that earned your aggression? Because I didn't think you stubborn, illogical, or aggressive until you informed me that I do based on 2 brief and perfectly civil posts.

FYI, I'm not a theist.

EDIT: @Sonofason I
I thought I quoted that. New software.
E2: There we go.
Sorry, actually, I saw your comment to sapiens and thought you were him responding back to me. Sorry for my confusion.

No, I think I understand what your saying, surely that which is learned affects our understanding of our experiences. There is certainly a difference between sensations and perceptions, but there's something wrong with your quote by Thomas Aquinas. It seems to me to be missing a word like "with".

Is there not something missing in this portion of the quote you provided?

...Compare what happens when we observe the movements and actions of what happens when we observe the movements and actions of human beings,...

Nothing is missing from the quote. The brackets, [], indicated that the space was my addition to a word that probably should have been two words.

Sonofason

Nothing is missing from the quote. The brackets, [], indicated that the space was my addition to a word that probably should have been two words.
I'm having trouble making a comparison. I am supposed to be comparing what (with) what from that quote. Again, I'll repeat that part of the quote I'm having trouble with. It doesn't seem like a complete comparison. One must compare something either with or to something else. There is not "with" and there is no "to" to delineate those things that are being asked to be compared.

"...Compare what happens when we observe the movements and actions of what happens when we observe the movements and actions of human beings,..."

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Sure I have, and I have concluded that because I don't agree with you, you consider me to be stubborn, illogical, and aggressive. I realize that this is a two-way-street, and aggression is often met with aggression, but there is always a first aggressor, and it's not me.
No, Serenity and Legion are often out ahead and then you and Disciple and maybe some others like to try and form a dog pile.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

And it also basically says to not let the door hit you in the butt as you beat a hasty exit, when they don't receive you or your Bible verses. :p No religious badgering of non-believers!

Sonofason

No, Serenity and Legion are often out ahead and then you and Disciple and maybe some others like to try and form a dog pile.
Ah well, I'll try not to get you fired up. I consider any kind of insult an attack, but I'll try to be more forgiving, and I'll make a conscious effort not to throw the first blow.

Sonofason

To you they are evidence. But your Bible tells you to go - shaking the dust from your foot, if they do not accept you, or your "evidence."

I am not trying to convert you. I'm just here to debate you. I don't care to convert those who do not desire to be a part of the kingdom of God. That's your choice, and you're problem, not mine. But when you say wrong things, I'm going to speak my mind. And when you ask questions, I'm going to give my answer.

oh yes, whether you want it or not.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I am not trying to convert you. I'm just here to debate you. I don't care to convert those who do not desire to be a part of the kingdom of God. That's your choice, and you're problem, not mine. But when you say wrong things, I'm going to speak my mind. And when you ask questions, I'm going to give my answer.

oh yes, whether you want it or not.

I. It is directed at YOU by word of your Bible, not by me.

2. "Most" of us are here to debate, - however, - obviously several Christians are just here to proselytize.

Sonofason

I. It is directed at YOU by word of your Bible, not by me.

2. "Most" of us are here to debate, - however, - obviously several Christians are just here to proselytize.

First, I'm not in your house, I'm in my house. I'm not going anywhere, except to bed; its late.
secondly, then you must not be referring to me.