• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite religious/spiritual quotes.

GabrielWithoutWings

Humans are born, they live, then they die,
this is the order that the gods have decreed.

But until the end comes, enjoy your life,
spend it in happiness, not despair.

Savor your food, make each of your days a delight,
bathe and anoint yourself,
wear bright clothes that are sparkling clean,
let music and dancing fill your house,
love the child who holds you by the hand,
and give your wife pleasure in your embrace.

That is the best way for a man to live.

- The Epic of Gilgamesh

GabrielWithoutWings

Listen to the words of the Dark God,
Who was of old called Acheron, Chamer,
Iakchos, Donn, Anubis, Hades, Setesh, Mors, Hoder,
And by many other names:

I am the shadow in the bright day;
I am the reminder of mortality at the height of living.
I am the neverending veil of Night
Where the Star Goddess dances.
I am the Death that must be so that Life may continue,
For Behold, Life is immortal because the living must die.

I am the strength that protects, that limits;
I am the power that says No, and No Further, and That Is Enough.
I am the things that cannot be spoken of,
And I am the laughter at the edge of Death.

Come with me into the warm enfolding dark;
Feel my caresses in the hands,
In the Mouth,
In the Body of one you love,
And be transformed.

Gather in the moonless night and speak in unknown tongues;
The Dark Mother and I will listen.
Sing to us and cry out,
And the Power will be yours to wield.

Blow me a kiss when the sky is dark,
And I will smile,
But no kiss returns;
For my kiss is the final one
For all mortal flesh.

- Charge of the Dark God

Popeyesays

"Love Me that I may love thee; for if thou lovest Me not, My love can in wise reach thee. Know this, O Servant!"

Baha`u'llah, Arabic Hidden Words

Fantastic idea Gabe.

Subtlest of the subtle, greatest of the great, the atman is hidden in the cave of the hearts of all beings. He who, free from all urges, beholds Him overcomes sorrow, seeing by the grace of the Creator, the Lord and His glory.
~Yajur Veda

In heaven there is no fear at all. Thou, O Death, art not there, nor in that place does the thought of growing old make one tremble. There, free from hunger and from thirst and far from the reach of sorrow, all rejoice and are glad.
~Krishna Yajur Veda
px.gif

Sahar

"I am as My servant thinks I am. I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed." God the Almighty said, Hadith Qudsi.

Atman

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]If you treat the opposite sex with reverence
will you pay a price?
If you stop your fault-finding and covetous ways
will your earnings not suffice?

If you sit in prayer and meditation
will it cost a living wage?
If you trust the words of realized souls
will your boss forget your pay?

Is it a burden to pursue wisdom?
Do you fear the price it brings?
Tuka says,
Fools worry about the little stuff.
Don't they know? God brings everything!
[/FONT]
-Tukaram

Somkid

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

~~THE BUDDHA, Gautama Siddharta~~

GabrielWithoutWings

Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them. "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.

After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' So he got up and went to his father.

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

"Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'

"The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

" 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "

- Parable of the Prodigal Son, Gospel of Saint Luke

The20Prodigal20Son.jpg

GabrielWithoutWings

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Sahar

"Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah. for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Qur'an

mr.guy

crapsack
"In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women."

-Tony Montana

Sahar

"Truly in the heart there is a void that cannot be removed except with the company of Allah.

And in it there is a sadness that cannot be removed except with the happiness of knowing Allah and being true to Him.

And in it there is an emptiness that cannot be filled except with love for Him and by turning to Him and always remembering Him.

And if a person were given all of the world and what is in it, it would not fill this emptiness."

- Ibn al-Qayyim

arthra

Baha'i
"O My servants!

There shineth nothing else in Mine heart except the unfading light of the Morn of Divine guidance, and out of My mouth proceedeth naught but the essence of truth, which the Lord your God hath revealed. Follow not, therefore, your earthly desires, and violate not the Covenant of God, nor break your pledge to Him. With firm determination, with the whole affection of your heart, and with the full force of your words, turn ye unto Him, and walk not in the ways of the foolish.

The world is but a show, vain and empty, a mere nothing, bearing the semblance of reality. Set not your affections upon it. Break not the bond that uniteth you with your Creator, and be not of those that have erred and strayed from His ways. Verily I say, the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion. It may, moreover, be likened unto the lifeless image of the beloved whom the lover hath sought and found, in the end, after long search and to his utmost regret, to be such as cannot “fatten nor appease his hunger.”

~ Baha'u'llah

Smoke

Done here.
“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
~~~THE BUDDHA, Gautama Siddharta~~
That's one of mine, too. Here are some more:

Laozi:
"The way that can be walked is not the eternal way;
The names that can be named are not the eternal Name."

Kendrick Fritz:

"But the Spider Grandmother did give two rules. To all men, not just Hopis. If you look at them, they cover everything. She said, 'Don't go around hurting each other,' and she said, 'Try to understand things.'"

Bertrand Russell:
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge."

Amy Tan:

"You must think for yourself, what you must do. If someone tells you, you are not trying."

The Buddha:
"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear."

The Buddha (the Tathagata):
"Malunkyaputta, anyone who should say, 'I will not lead the religious life under the Blessed One until the Blessed One shall explain to me either that the world is eternal, or that the world is not eternal, that the world is finite, or that the world is infinite, that the soul and the body are identical, or that the soul is one thing and the body another, that the saint exists after death, or that the saint does not exist after death, that the saint both exists and does not exist after death, or that the saint neither exists nor does not exist after death'; -- that person would die, Malunkyaputta, before the Tathagata had ever explained this to him. ... And why, Malunkyaputta, have I not explained this? Because, Malunkyaputta, this profits not, nor has to do with the fundamentals of religion, nor tends to aversion, absence of passion, cessation, quiescence, the supernatural faculties, supreme wisdom, and Nirvana; therefore have I not explained it."

Sheryl Crow:
"I took the I-95 down to Pensacola
All I found was a bunch of holy rollers
They don't know nothing 'bout saving me"

Seung Sahn:
"
Craziness is good. Crazy people are happy, free, they have no hindrance. But since you still have many attachments, you are only a little crazy. This is not crazy enough. You must become completely crazy. Then you will understand."

Najagneq:

"The inhabitant or soul of the universe is never seen; its voice alone is heard. All we know is that it has a gentle voice, like the voice of a woman, a voice so fine and gentle that even children cannot become afraid. And what is says is: Sila ersinarsinivdluge, 'Be not afraid of the universe.'"

Jesus:

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

Pär Lagerkvist:
"He who has once been a pilgrim must always be ready to move on, to set forth on his journeying again. It is of no use to say, 'No longer. I'm no longer a pilgrim.'"

Lame Deer:

"I am no wino or pishko, but I am no saint either. A medicine man shouldn't be a saint. He should experience and feel all the ups and downs, the despair and joy, the magic and the reality, the courage and the fear, of his people. He should be able to sink as low as a bug, or soar as high as an eagle. Unless he can experience both, he is no good as a medicine man."

Muid ad-Din ibn al-Arabi:
"Do not attach yourself to any particular creed exclusively, so that you may disbelieve the rest; otherwise you will lose much good, nay, you will fail to recognize the real truth of the matter. God, the omnipresent and omnipotent, is not limited by any one creed, for, he says, 'Wheresoever ye turn there is the face of al-Lah'. Everyone praises what he believes; his god is his own creature, and in praising it he praises himself."

Brad Warner:
"Some people think enlightenment is some kind of superspecial state without questions or doubts, some kind of absolute faith in your beliefs and the rightness of your perceptions. That's not enlightenment. In fact, that's the worst kind of delusion."

Quentin Crisp:
"The apostate must work out his own damnation."

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Who then knows whence it has arisen,
Whence this emanation hath arisen,
Whether God disposed it, or whether he did not,-
Only he who is overseer in highest heaven knows.
Or perhaps he does not know!
(Rig-veda; 10:29)

I came into being as 'One who becomes'; I came into being and Becoming became. All beings came into being after I had come into being. Many are the becomings that came forth from my mouth.

At a time when the sky did not exist, the earth did not exist, solid land had not been created, no more then the snakes which are in this place, I created some of them in the Primeval Ocean as Inert Ones, at a time when I had not yet found a place to stand.
(French-to-English translation of the Coffin Texts)

Others have enough and more,
I alone am left out.
I have the mind of a fool,
Confused, confused.

Others are bright and intelligent,
I alone am dull, dull,
Drifting on the ocean,
Blown about endlessly.
(Tao Te Ching; 20)

Joy does all things without concern:
For emptiness, stillness, tranquillity, tastelessness,
Silence and non-action
Are the root of all things.
(Chuang Tzu; 13:1)

EDIT* Oh, and of course, the one in my sig. :)

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Some really nice quotes, schocked to ree the Rig Ved quote :D

*smiles*

We should not be ashamed to acknowledge truth, and to assimilate it from whatever source it comes to us, even if it is brought to us by former generations and foreign peoples.

For him who seeks the truth there is nothing of higher value then truth itself; it never cheapens or debases him who reaches for it, but enobles and honours him.
(Yaqub ibn Ishaq al-Kindi)

if you can't survive life, then atleast do what you want while you got it and face the effects of your actions with pride instead of regret

anonymous

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Be not afraid, I go before you always, come follow me, and I will give you peace.
-don't know the verse.