• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear of hell

Is the fear of hell the main reason why you follow a religion?

• Yes. (explain...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and I fear god's anger, too.

• Yes, but I also follow becuase I love god.

• Yes, but there are reason. (explain...)

• No, I know I am going to heaven.

• Total voters

gnostic

The Lost One
Is the fear of hell, or eternal damnation or punishment the main reason why you convert or follow a religion?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Although an Atheist, the educated know that the religion of my people does not advocate a concept of hell.

gnostic

The Lost One
Then you can select this in the poll:

• No, because I don't believe in hell... (to keep the atheists happy)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Then you can select this in the poll:

• No, because I don't believe in hell... (to keep the atheists happy)
I'm talking about Judaism, not atheism.
If you started a thread to get yourself educated, take the time to read.

gnostic

The Lost One
caladan said:
I'm talking about Judaism, not atheism.
If you started a thread to get yourself educated, take the time to read.

Actually, I know that Judaism has no concept of hell. Everything is about (referring to the religion) what they do on earth when they are alive, and their relationship to god, and not about reward or punishment in the afterlife.

But my questions are mainly for Christians or Muslims. I want to know what their main reason for following their religion. Is it because they fear eternal punishment? Is it to receive rewards in heaven?

You have heard of Pascal's Wager. The sort of people who convert to Christianity, not because they believe in God or Jesus' words, but because they want the option of going to heaven, and not to hell. Hence they fear hell more than they believe in God.

I would like to know someone accept the Pascal's Wager or not.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You have heard of Pascal's Wager. The sort of people who convert to Christianity, not because they believe in God or Jesus' words, but because they want the option of going to heaven, and not to hell. Hence they fear hell more than they believe in God.
You have a point, the fear of hell and the devil has been instrumental in the building of Christendom.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I know when I was a Christian, I was not so because of a fear of hell. I never had a fear of hell. I knew that I was going to heaven. However, even that hardly crossed my mind. I was a Christian because I thought it made sense.

From my experience, I would say a lot of Christians don't even think about hell, and it really has little to do with why they are a Christian. Definitely for some though, it does play a major role.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
I said no because the fear of hell is not the main reason I remain in my religion. It is certainly a reason I stay but its not something I think about often. But there are those times when I think life would be so much easier if I were to just slip off into a life of hedonism. At those times I must admit that it is the fear of hell more than the love of God which keeps me from doing so. Also the Catholic doctrine of purgatory is a great relief in this area, I don't have to be perfect to stay out of hell, I can get away with being just good enough. Then after I die God can finish the job in purgatory. If it wasn't for that, I would likely think that I was beyond saving.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is the fear of hell, or eternal damnation or punishment the main reason why you convert or follow a religion?
I voted "No, because I don't believe in hell," but I object to the snide addition of "to keep the atheists happy."

Yes, I saw the follow-up post saying that the poll was mainly aimed at Christians and Muslims, but you didn't specify that in the OP. There is more to religion than those two.

gnostic

The Lost One
Anyone can participate.
storm said:
Yes, I saw the follow-up post saying that the poll was mainly aimed at Christians and Muslims, but you didn't specify that in the OP. There is more to religion than those two.

Yes, there are many religions. They are not unique in this, but these 2 religions used the heaven/reward and hell/punishment as one of the basis of their religions than all others.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
You have a point, the fear of hell and the devil has been instrumental in the building of Christendom.
Absolutely. The fear of hell was instrumental in my Christian conversion when I was 16. Paradoxically, the concept of hell and the ultimate disbelief I grew to have was mainly why I left Christianity....that and the absurdity of the whole storyline. Sometimes I can't believe how dumb I was for so long.

Consequently, I have no idea how to vote in the poll. :D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I don't believe in God and Jesus because I am afraid of any hell. I don't really believe in a literal hell, anyway.

Smoke

Done here.
Even when I was a Christian, and believed in hell -- I quit believing in an everlasting hell a long time before I quit believing in God -- the fear of hell wasn't much of a motivator. It was the pursuit of God that motivated me. But I've always been more inspired by the carrot than the stick in any endeavor. I've talked to people who are the opposite.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I don't believe in everlasting hell; I believe that everyone will ultimately reach God. I simply believe what I believe because it works for me.

Now if only I can actually transfer what I believe into what I actually do...

SKB

I believe everyone will go to heaven eventually.
When you live in sin you are living in hell. And sinners are blind to just how much they are suffering.
Since sinners want nothing to do with God’s spirit, the spirit is extremely hardheaded. So much, so that it could take God 10,000 or 100,000 years of your life to straighten out our corrupt spirit.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I follow my religion because it provides me with what I need to make sense of the wonder in which I find myself.

Hell has nothing to do with it. Don't believe in it anyway.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, of course I don't believe in Hell. But in a way I do.

We do live in Hell already, if Hell is the place where we are misjudged and suffer injustices.

In that sense I guess you could say I follow and value religion because I want to see this Hell become less hellish.