• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifty-eight Percent of Americans Favorable to Palin

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Why is that dumb? They know she wouldn't be able to handle them.

O.K., then dumb idea to choose a running mate who can't handle questions from the press. I mean, you're telling us she's qualified to be President, but she can't handle a press conference? Seems like a bad message to convey.

But really dumb because the press is the press. They write the stories. They decide whether to keep harping on about her pregnant teenage daughter or turn to her record and positions. So it's elementary politics to be nice to the press. Now you've got news stories about how she won't take questions from the press. Dumb strategy.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
O.K., then dumb idea to choose a running mate who can't handle questions from the press. I mean, you're telling us she's qualified to be President, but she can't handle a press conference? Seems like a bad message to convey.

But really dumb because the press is the press. They write the stories. They decide whether to keep harping on about her pregnant teenage daughter or turn to her record and positions. So it's elementary politics to be nice to the press. Now you've got news stories about how she won't take questions from the press. Dumb strategy.
Not if you can convince people that the "liberal" press is out to get the GOP.

I agree with you that Palin is under-qualified. But I also think she's a smart cookie and the Left is gonna get burned once again if we keep playing into the "liberal elite" thing and bashing her intelligence. Obama is too smart to fall for that but unfortunately he can't control the rest of us. :cover:

Besides which, McCain has very effectively rallied the GOP's political base - the Christian Right - which had been lukewarm towards him up until now.

It was not a dumb choice. It was a risky choice, because he risks alienating the independents. But if we keep doing what we're doing, we make Palin more sympathetic to the indies.

Why (oh why) can't we stick to the issues instead of attacking her personally?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Not if you can convince people that the "liberal" press is out to get the GOP.

I agree with you that Palin is under-qualified. But I also think she's a smart cookie and the Left is gonna get burned once again if we keep playing into the "liberal elite" thing and bashing her intelligence. Obama is too smart to fall for that but unfortunately he can't control the rest of us. :cover:

Besides which, McCain has very effectively rallied the GOP's political base - the Christian Right - which had been lukewarm towards him up until now.

It was not a dumb choice. It was a risky choice, because he risks alienating the independents. But if we keep doing what we're doing, we make Palin more sympathetic to the indies.

Why (oh why) can't we stick to the issues instead of attacking her personally?

Well, that's the line they're trying to take. We'll see how it pays off. I agree, lilithu, that basically the whole Repub strategy is to throw the long ball, because they start out with the enormous disadvantage that their record sucks rocks. When you consider that, they're doing rather well.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Well, that's the line they're trying to take. We'll see how it pays off. I agree, lilithu, that basically the whole Repub strategy is to throw the long ball, because they start out with the enormous disadvantage that their record sucks rocks. When you consider that, they're doing rather well.

I heard on the radio that McCain is ahead in the polls again.

Hee hee.

I don't think the press is harder on her just because she's a woman, but because Palin just doesn't stand to scrutiny with her record as a governor.

I mean, we didn't have the same rhetoric out with criticisms against Hillary or Condi Rice, so I'm just curious why the worry about being too harsh with Palin - who's a tough-talking moose-killer for pity's sake? :trampo:

The only thing admirable about her is that while she stabs her opponent, she does it with a smile. My advice: don't ever turn your back on her.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I was actually referring to the potential commentary after the VP debates...........

I see. :)

If the commentators start with sexist rhetoric after the VP debates, I worry that one of my shoes is going to be thrown at the TV.

I wish that Palin would talk to the press, though..........Sarah Palin, meet Helen Thomas. :cool: :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
John Kerry lost the electoral votes by one state: Ohio

So all Obama has to do is overturn this. So far, besides OH, the following states are vulnerable: CO IA NV NM ND.

Electoral-vote.com: President, Senate, House Updated Daily
The last I looked, McCain was slightly ahead in the (polled) popular vote, whereas Obama was ahead in (polled by state) electoral votes.

It looks like it will be another incredibly close race. As much as some people (including myself) try to rise above the red state/blue state dichotomy, it seems undeniable that the U.S. is deeply divided. Not by state, actually, but by class and culture.

We are making a transition from the U.S. being dominated by one group to a time soon when that one group will no longer be the majority. These are our growing pains. If we survive, we will be much the better for it.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I believe that by the year 2040 (give or take), white people will no longer be a majority in this country.

I don't know that that's a bad thing, considering how we now run this country, what our government has become, and how corporations now dominate our lives.