• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifty Shades of Grey

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I don't know, I've just never been struck by the bug to run out and read any of them, nor to watch the movies. Not that I have anything against them I don't think, just...eh.

I understand. I was in that camp until I gave in to peer pressure. I just figured, why not? "Just try it."

Kind of like when Avatar came out. I resisted because - well - SO many people saw it and raved about it. I thought about not becoming one of those "sheep" in my mind, refusing to follow the herd. And when I finally saw it on DVD, I quietly reprimanded myself for not going to see it in 3D at the theatre. So hearing all the oohs and aahs from many of my friends at the mere mention of "Christian Grey", I was skeptical with it much like my skepticism with Avatar and with Twilight.

The Hunger Games trilogy was a little of the same, though, I have to say that taking up that bet proved to be great for me and for my daughter. We both love the series.

BTW, I'm the only one in my family who read it. My mother and my grandmother refuse. They think it would be stupid and atrocious given what they've heard too, so you're not alone.

And judging by the responses in this thread, you still aren't alone. If that makes you feel any better. :shrug:

Draka

Wonder Woman
I understand. I was in that camp until I gave in to peer pressure. I just figured, why not? "Just try it."

Kind of like when Avatar came out. I resisted because - well - SO many people saw it and raved about it. I thought about not becoming one of those "sheep" in my mind, refusing to follow the herd. And when I finally saw it on DVD, I quietly reprimanded myself for not going to see it in 3D at the theatre. So hearing all the oohs and aahs from many of my friends at the mere mention of "Christian Grey", I was skeptical with it much like my skepticism with Avatar and with Twilight.

The Hunger Games trilogy was a little of the same, though, I have to say that taking up that bet proved to be great for me and for my daughter. We both love the series.

BTW, I'm the only one in my family who read it. My mother and my grandmother refuse. They think it would be stupid and atrocious given what they've heard too, so you're not alone.

And judging by the responses in this thread, you still aren't alone. If that makes you feel any better. :shrug:

Oh, your thread is the first I've really heard of Shades of Grey. I've honestly only heard of the title. I've never heard any banter about it or any "raving" or anything. So to me, it's nothing at all. As for Twilight...to me it's just a movie series I've just never had an interest in seeing. Much like I don't have interest in anything by Quentin Tarentino. It's not that I don't want to be "sheeple" or I want to avoid what people are raving about. I just quite literally have no desire.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity, what does it say about me that I've never read nor watched one single Twilight book or movie? That I not only didn't know anything about Fifty Shades of Grey other than the name, but I didn't know there were sequels to the book either? AND that I still have no desire to read/watch any of the afore-mentioned?

That you have taste? ;)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
So, did you confirm your suspicions of a definite end? Did you like the ending?

Yes. It led to a conclusion that was super sappy. The ending totally fit into the romance novel genre, which was what this basically was as a series plus a peek into some bondage and discipline. ;)

My overall impression is that it's a fun story that deviates slightly from the romance norm. Like I'd said before, the 18-year-old in me is very happy to read it. I anticipate the movie - should they make it - will absolutely royally suck. I can't see anybody pulling off the character of Christian Grey. :p

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Another question: do you think there is some sort of reasonable danger in reading the book?

In the sense that someone might mistake some specific portrayed situation or behavior and end up hurting oneself (emotionally, mainly)?

It is my understanding that much of the homophoby that exists in the world comes from such (IMO quite unfounded) fears, and that many people believe me to have comparably unfounded fears in relation to recreational drugs. Do you expect people to have similar reservations about the BDSM portrayed in the books? How justified, if at all, would those fears be?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Another question: do you think there is some sort of reasonable danger in reading the book?

In the sense that someone might mistake some specific portrayed situation or behavior and end up hurting oneself (emotionally, mainly)?

It is my understanding that much of the homophoby that exists in the world comes from such (IMO quite unfounded) fears, and that many people believe me to have comparably unfounded fears in relation to recreational drugs. Do you expect people to have similar reservations about the BDSM portrayed in the books? How justified, if at all, would those fears be?

I think the books did a nice job in explaining the importance of negotiating power structure and the importance of negotiating boundaries in BDSM. It's part and parcel behind anything that is non-vanilla, what people can and can't take when it comes to that fine line between pain and pleasure. :)

In fact, the negotiations were very much a theme in the love story itself. The ebb and flow of the power structure moved the romance forward and made them more emotionally intimate. Even if people just "skipped to the good parts", I think the story continued to express the importance of the negotiation in boundaries.

I think there was any danger, it would be that the reader was hell-bent on finding anything with whips or shackles to control for control's sake. I don't think they're only found in "Fifty Shades". ;)

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I tried reading the first page of the book and wanted to gag cause the writing was so sappy and melodramatic. I read the first two books of the twilight series and honestly still don't understand it's appeal, Though I'll probably finish the series at some point

At least with 50 shades people can point to the sex if they need an excuse for why they like it. I don't get it though. I don't get how such terrible writing can get so popular.

I know I should just shrug my shoulders and say to each their own but being a writer myself I often find that difficult. After all here I am working my butt off to try and make my stories the best they can be, spending thousands on a degree in the field and reading tons of books and what not and everywhere I go I hear people salivating over what amounts to soggy beef jerky while all the filet mignon gathers dust on the shelf. Sometimes makes me wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by trying to make my writing good.

doh well, sorry for the rant. Maybe at some point I'll try to muscle through shades of grey but I'm not holding on to any hope that my opinion will improve.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I tried reading the first page of the book and wanted to gag cause the writing was so sappy and melodramatic. I read the first two books of the twilight series and honestly still don't understand it's appeal, Though I'll probably finish the series at some point

At least with 50 shades people can point to the sex if they need an excuse for why they like it. I don't get it though. I don't get how such terrible writing can get so popular.

I know I should just shrug my shoulders and say to each their own but being a writer myself I often find that difficult. After all here I am working my butt off to try and make my stories the best they can be, spending thousands on a degree in the field and reading tons of books and what not and everywhere I go I hear people salivating over what amounts to soggy beef jerky while all the filet mignon gathers dust on the shelf. Sometimes makes me wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by trying to make my writing good.

doh well, sorry for the rant. Maybe at some point I'll try to muscle through shades of grey but I'm not holding on to any hope that my opinion will improve.

Snob. :p

Just kidding. I get it. People ask me all the time what I think of country line dancing, and it's pretty much the same reaction. But I understand why people like it - it's simple, easy to "get", and the masses can pick up on it without much study into finer points of detail and skill.

For the record, though, a friend of mine who has a PhD in feminist literature is a fan of the Twilight series. She teaches literature and has published her fair share of books. Not everybody has to eschew pop culture in order to be considered an intellectual, ya know. ;)

Draka

Wonder Woman
Okay, being that I've been spending much of my time sick on the couch for a little over a week now I have been watching a lot of tv. I actually caught Twilight and New Moon a few days ago for lack of anything else on really. While I'll admit they weren't bad at all, I don't see what the huge hype has been all about. I mean, they were okay, but I've seen better and more intriguing movies. Maybe the books were better, I don't know.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Okay, being that I've been spending much of my time sick on the couch for a little over a week now I have been watching a lot of tv. I actually caught Twilight and New Moon a few days ago for lack of anything else on really. While I'll admit they weren't bad at all, I don't see what the huge hype has been all about. I mean, they were okay, but I've seen better and more intriguing movies. Maybe the books were better, I don't know.

No they weren't, trust me. The movies are actually better. Which isn't saying much.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Snob. :p

Just kidding. I get it. People ask me all the time what I think of country line dancing, and it's pretty much the same reaction. But I understand why people like it - it's simple, easy to "get", and the masses can pick up on it without much study into finer points of detail and skill.

For the record, though, a friend of mine who has a PhD in feminist literature is a fan of the Twilight series. She teaches literature and has published her fair share of books. Not everybody has to eschew pop culture in order to be considered an intellectual, ya know. ;)

lol. yeah I know
I think my primary issue comes in more, not that people enjoy the books, after all I enjoy dumb action movies like mortal kombat, It's more that people who like the books say they are "really good" and "really well written" acting like the author is some sort of genius when she's just the opposite. If the twilight series was looked at in the same vein dumb action movies are by it's fans I probably wouldn't care as much as I do. I just find it disconcerting that I could go through all this work to make my writing really good only to be outdone by a hack who threw something together in three months on a whim and couldn't write her way out of a paper bag. gah

sorry, I thought I was done with my rants, lol.

Quick question though, does your friend enjoy twilight for the same reasons one might enjoy a dumb action movie? Or does she genuinely think it's a good well written series.

Draka

Wonder Woman
:confused:

you agree then disagree?

I said I think the movies were better not the books. And that's only because stuff actually happens in the movies whereas the books are padded like hell

Are they overly descriptive? I find books like that annoying. I like descriptions, the stage to be set as it were, but when it goes on and on and on unnecessarily to the point of boredom...it kills it for me. I get frustrated and just want the author to get on with the story and dispense with all the fluff. I have an imagination, let me use it.

Last edited:

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Are they overly descriptive? I find books like that annoying. I like descriptions, the stage to be set as it were, but when it goes on and on and on unnecessarily to the point of boredom...it kills it for me. I get frustrated and just want the author to get on with the story and dispense with all the fluff. I have an imagination, let me use it.

Well I can only speak for the first two books but overly descriptive I think would actually be a step up. It's more like repetitive and in the first book nothing really happens beyond, oh we're in love. Hell the primary antagonist doesn't even show up until the last 3 chapters or so and he winds up getting killed "off camera" since the narrator is nearly unconscious. The second book is essentially the plot of romeo and juliet without them dying at the end, and that might have been okay if it weren't for the fact that the author seemed to think we wouldn't get it on our own and had to keep shoving romeo and juliet in our faces and have bella actively drawing connections between people she knows and the characters in the play.

Also her descriptions are very repetetive as edward is constantly described as having cold skin that feels like stone.

it's padded because the book keeps taking us through her boring ordinary school day life regardless of whether or not the moments actually advance any of the supposed plot.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
lol. yeah I know
I think my primary issue comes in more, not that people enjoy the books, after all I enjoy dumb action movies like mortal kombat, It's more that people who like the books say they are "really good" and "really well written" acting like the author is some sort of genius when she's just the opposite. If the twilight series was looked at in the same vein dumb action movies are by it's fans I probably wouldn't care as much as I do. I just find it disconcerting that I could go through all this work to make my writing really good only to be outdone by a hack who threw something together in three months on a whim and couldn't write her way out of a paper bag. gah

sorry, I thought I was done with my rants, lol.

Quick question though, does your friend enjoy twilight for the same reasons one might enjoy a dumb action movie? Or does she genuinely think it's a good well written series.

She understands the allure, and how it speaks to a certain section of the reading audience. She understands not everyone has a 140 IQ, and appreciates what watered down literature can do for the masses of people.

That's what she told me at least. Personally for her, it was a guilty pleasure like 50 Shades was for me.