• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY, the Proof That There Is No GOD!!

cardero

Citizen Mod

I keep involving myself in these debates with religious minded people who think that there will pandemonium if the existence or the affects of GOD are proven false. They mention that there will be blood in the streets but they do not mention who will be shedding it. They mention stealing and rioting on a grand scale but they do not mention if law enforcement will be participating in these riots. They mention that normal, stable people who were once moral will lose all sense of control of their ethics. They mention that the world will become one pile of enmeshed humans engaging in one united orgy and engorging their sexual prowess in anything that moves or still contains a pulse.

Is this scenario accurate?
Will the proven non-existence of GOD mean that we have carte blanche?
What will keep some people in control of their disappointment? Who will people turn to for goodness, love and justice?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
One thing that they fail to include is that, if God is proven false in order for these scenarios to come about, then all the people doing the rioting and raping are atheists.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I keep involving myself in these debates with religious minded people who think that there will pandemonium if the existence or the affects of GOD are proven false. They mention that there will be blood in the streets but they do not mention who will be shedding it. They mention stealing and rioting on a grand scale but they do not mention if law enforcement will be participating in these riots. They mention that normal, stable people who were once moral will lose all sense of control of their ethics. They mention that the world will become one pile of enmeshed humans engaging in one united orgy and engorging their sexual prowess in anything that moves or still contains a pulse.

I hope not. I hope that folks who think this way will eventually realize that morality can be maintained on its own merits, and we don't need the promise of divine reward or threat of divine punishment to behave ourselves.

In fact, I'd say that people who do need these things aren't really moral people.

I don't think that the non-existence of God will ever be proven to the point where it will convince ardent theists. Even if it happened, I don't think that it will mean we have carte blanche.

I see this as a direct parallel with Dumbo's feather:

"I can't fly without my feather! If I lost it, I'd crash to Earth"
"But the feather does nothing - it's been you flying the whole time."

"We can't have morality without God! If He didn't exist, our society would explode in anarchy."
"But God does nothing - it was you keeping a (reasonably) good, fair and just society the whole time."

What will keep some people in control of their disappointment?
Not sure what you mean by this.

Who will people turn to for goodness, love and justice?
The same places they've been turning for goodness, love and justice the whole time: themselves and each other.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC

What will keep some people in control of their disappointment? Who will people turn to for goodness, love and justice?

Wow. I've never heard this before.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I should make it understandably clear that I have not had these debates or discussions on Religious Forums or with any of their "Rffiliated" members.

Smoke

Done here.
Whenever I hear people say things like that -- and I've heard it a lot -- I can only wonder whether I'm talking to an idiot or a psychopath.

Ronald

Whenever I hear people say things like that -- and I've heard it a lot -- I can only wonder whether I'm talking to an idiot or a psychopath.
Or both!

Close counts 'one' in Horseshoes! But that scenerio is not even close to what the bible says!!!!!!!!!

Shalom

tomspug

Absorbant
If God ceased to exist, no one would have anything to live for.

I don't know why people have this weird dichotomy that God's sole purpose is to keep us from doing bad things. The reality is that God is what makes everything good, whether we like it or not. Without God, there would literally be nothing worth living for in the world.

Imagine the despair of the Holocaust, except remove all hope, and you've got a glimpse of what the world would be like without God. Hope is life. Despair is death.

camanintx

Guess that makes me no-one since I find plenty of reasons to live despite God's non-existence.

tomspug said:
I don't know why people have this weird dichotomy that God's sole purpose is to keep us from doing bad things. The reality is that God is what makes everything good, whether we like it or not. Without God, there would literally be nothing worth living for in the world.

If making things good is the reason God exists, then why bother dropping a letter?

tomspug said:
Imagine the despair of the Holocaust, except remove all hope, and you've got a glimpse of what the world would be like without God. Hope is life. Despair is death.

It is not necessary to believe in imaginary friends to have hope and purpose. In fact, a world without God would look exactly like it does now.

logician

One thing that they fail to include is that, if God is proven false in order for these scenarios to come about, then all the people doing the rioting and raping are atheists.

Not really, god belief has nothing to do with the real existence of some god.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

The starting point without God may be bleak, but where we go from there is up to us. Even the greatest painting starts as a blank canvas.

tomspug

Absorbant
The starting point without God may be bleak, but where we go from there is up to us. Even the greatest painting starts as a blank canvas.
If the starting point of life is without God, I'd rather be dead. Sorry to be blunt, but my relationship with God plays such an important role in my life that I couldn't possibly imagine being without it. That's just my own experience though.