• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flies

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I recall many years ago, for a period of a few days, I was incessantly menaced by this insufferable fly. It would fly and buzz right in my ear when I was trying to sleep, especially in the early morning. I tried to go after it with a fly swatter a number of times, but unsuccessfully.
I think Flys are villianized a little too much although they can and do transmit diseases and the like.

Apart from that, They keep themselves very clean actually and are definitely amazing insect aviators.

The maggots albeit disgusting, are very useful when it comes to breaking down filth and even have a medical benefit of removing gangrene from severe infected wounds.

One thing though is they smell horrible but it's a givin considering what they like to land on and eat which is why they are a pest in people's eyes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think Flys are villianized a little too much although they can and do transmit diseases and the like.

Apart from that, They keep themselves very clean actually and are definitely amazing insect aviators.

The maggots albeit disgusting, are very useful when it comes to breaking down filth and even have a medical benefit of removing gangrene from severe infected wounds.

One thing though is they smell horrible but it's a givin considering what they like to land on and eat which is why they are a pest in people's eyes.

Well, there are definitely worse insects out there. Flies don't sting and they're not venomous, so I'll give them that. I've learned to steer clear of killer bee infestations, so flies are a minor nuisance by comparison. Ants can also be a much bigger problem than flies.

And then there's roaches. Have you ever seen Damnation Alley? There's a scene with killer cockroaches in a post nuclear war city.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, there are definitely worse insects out there. Flies don't sting and they're not venomous, so I'll give them that. I've learned to steer clear of killer bee infestations, so flies are a minor nuisance by comparison. Ants can also be a much bigger problem than flies.

And then there's roaches. Have you ever seen Damnation Alley? There's a scene with killer cockroaches in a post nuclear war city.

Don't forget bedbugs...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't forget bedbugs...

Oh yeah, the bedbugs...

a9c5f90c38d0e533e9474b6f4cf1941a.jpg

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh yeah, the bedbugs...

a9c5f90c38d0e533e9474b6f4cf1941a.jpg

We had bedbugs twice at our old house...

If one can be detached, they are amazing little suckers. I have never seen a bug play dead before, but they would... Everyday, I'd come through with the lysol and something to squish them with. They learned to just stop moving in hopes I'd think they were an empty shell...

We ended up getting rid of them with a sweater lint roller and duct tape. The second time we got them, we caught it immediately and just got rid of the couch(we think a friend carried them in that time).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We had bedbugs twice at our old house...

If one can be detached, they are amazing little suckers. I have never seen a bug play dead before, but they would... Everyday, I'd come through with the lysol and something to squish them with. They learned to just stop moving in hopes I'd think they were an empty shell...

We ended up getting rid of them with a sweater lint roller and duct tape. The second time we got them, we caught it immediately and just got rid of the couch(we think a friend carried them in that time).

I've heard that they can hide and remain dormant for months. They're pretty resilient.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard that they can hide and remain dormant for months. They're pretty resilient.

Its true.

We used daddy long legs to control the numbers before we figured out the lint roller/duct tape trick. We'd catch the spiders in the basement and release them under the bed. They did indeed make an impact on the population.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Its true.

We used daddy long legs to control the numbers before we figured out the lint roller/duct tape trick. We'd catch the spiders in the basement and release them under the bed. They did indeed make an impact on the population.
Nothing beats natural predators.

I let spiders prosper in my cellar in areas*. Never had an insect issue. They get dinner, a place to live, and we have no pests.

My better half loves the spiders as well.

*Addams family would be proud.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Nothing beats natural predators.

I let spiders prosper in my cellar in areas*. Never had an insect issue. They get dinner, a place to live, and we have no pests.

My better half loves the spiders as well.

*Addams family would be proud.

Spiders are great. Also a good excuse not to hoover throughly, as I don't want to damage their webs. :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Deer flies & horse flies sting.
And botflies.....ugh....look those things up.