• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the dismally ignorant

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
just an observation about your observation:
Mammals, Reptiles and Birds are broad categories that each include many thousands of genuses and species...

Humans, on the other hand, are a really small branch of the 'unique' Mammal category...which includes more than 4,500 species if I recall correctly...

The scale of the comparison is at odds...
I know that man has determined what a human kind is.

For an example... man has determined that a platypus is a mammal yet has so many features that are not. So man said, "We have decided it is a mammal for the following reasons..." and then patted themselves on the back saying to each other "Your are right!".

I see mankind as a category all of its own.

Kenny

Premium Member
Even though I accept #4, I'd not want
#1 thru #3 going extinct just so we can
pave over the land, & denude the seas.
Critters are interesting.
We have more than enuf humans.
I agree that we should take care of our lands and seas and "critters" although I will still kill every fly and mosquito I find.

Maybe when we fly cars we won't pave the land? And I don't think exterminating the abundance of humans is the answer either. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree that we should take care of our lands and seas and "critters" although I will still kill every fly and mosquito I find.
Just don't try to kill all of'm.
Aside from being spendy, risky, & impossible,
there would be unanticipated deleterious
consequences, eg, extinction of critters that
feed on'm.
Maybe when we fly cars we won't pave the land? And I don't think exterminating the abundance of humans is the answer either. :)
Flying cars are a pipe dream. Just look at how
often people break down in cars on the road.
Imagine the added carnage as they fall from
the sky!

Heyo

Veteran Member

For an example... man has determined that a platypus is a mammal yet has so many features that are not. So man said, "We have decided it is a mammal for the following reasons..." and then patted themselves on the back saying to each other "Your are right!".

As do biologist. Homo sapience is a species, just as bonobos, Komodo dragons and sothern rockhopper penguins are species.
But you made a category error, you compared a species to classes.

Or are you saying that you think that h. sapience is not a mammal?

Kenny

Premium Member
Just don't try to kill all of'm.
Aside from being spendy, risky, & impossible,
there would be unanticipated deleterious
consequences, eg, extinction of critters that
feed on'm.

LOL... True... but as long as they are in my turf (house) its WAR! :D

Flying cars are a pipe dream. Just look at how
often people break down in cars on the road.
Imagine the added carnage as they fall from
the sky!

Yes... but think of how much land we will save! ;) Maybe the moon is the answer. Let's reformat it!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
LOL... True... but as long as they are in my turf (house) its WAR! :D
Same here.
I also kill stink bugs.
Yes... but think of how much land we will save! ;) Maybe the moon is the answer. Let's reformat it!
There is no avoiding the hideous consequences
of more humans. They always foul their nest.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't mean to sound condescending, but isn't this just you doing the same thing you've accused man of doing? You've decided mankind is a category all of its own...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The moon, other planets and moons and especially space are the only way we can grow our population. Just make it so that excess breeders have to create living space first.

'Excess breeders'? LOL
Never been called that before, but I suppose I might fit your category...how much is too much in your estimation?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So says humans. But they are more than just mammals imv

Genetics is a pretty accurate way of sorting these things out. We are mammal, we are ape, supposedly fairly clever examples but still...

Kenny

Premium Member
I don't mean to sound condescending, but isn't this just you doing the same thing you've accused man of doing? You've decided mankind is a category all of its own...
You could view it that way.

Who is to say who is right?

Kenny

Premium Member
Genetics is a pretty accurate way of sorting these things out. We are mammal, we are ape, supposedly fairly clever examples but still...
I don't see how genetics makes us the same as gorillas and chimpanzees. DNA functions of eyes that are the same between birds and apes don't make them equal