• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who left the Christian Faith, let's discuss what you have discovered.

Christian Pilgrim

This thread is for those who were once a professing Christian and have left the Christian Faith. Let's discuss what you have discovered. I'm open to discuss and debate anything that seems to be your reason for leaving Christianity. I am also curious in what you have replaced the Christian Faith with, whatever you're new religion or world view has become.

Last edited:

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
For me it was simply a matter of "growing away" from Christianity. And what I discovered is the ability to carve my own spiritual path through life. So I left, not because I have any hard feelings towards Christianity but rather felt that Christianity just wasn't for me. Now that I carve my own path I've found something that fits me even better. I feel more free and more open and at home in this faith. I gave up Christianity and discovered myself.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
I was Catholic and since have become atheist. I mean...it wasn't some big thing that happened to make me turn away. It wasn't even a choice. It just happened.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Whatever you would like to discuss.

Well, that's up to you, since you started the thread.

But first let's qualify your journey as a Christian. Maybe you can share your Christian journey, and then your journey away from the Christian Faith.

My parents are liberal/progressive Catholics who attend church pretty much every week. I went to Catholic school from 4th grade through high school. In my teens I started to question the whole idea of a loving God, and various other aspects of Catholicism. I stopped attening church at around 17. I had brief discussions with my mom and my friend, but never really resolved my questions. I didn't feel like I believed in a god anymore, but I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it. Then, I came here and realized that I'm an atheist. Since then, I find the beliefs and practices of Christians, and members of other Abrahamic faiths, to be increasingly odd.

Christian Pilgrim

For me it was simply a matter of "growing away" from Christianity. And what I discovered is the ability to carve my own spiritual path through life. So I left, not because I have any hard feelings towards Christianity but rather felt that Christianity just wasn't for me. Now that I carve my own path I've found something that fits me even better. I feel more free and more open and at home in this faith. I gave up Christianity and discovered myself.

Could you also please share your experience as a Christian. Did you consider yourself to be born again (John 3), and the Spirit of God dwelled in you? Maybe you can share your denominational background and conversion story first?

Christian Pilgrim

I was Catholic and since have become atheist. I mean...it wasn't some big thing that happened to make me turn away. It wasn't even a choice. It just happened.

I never belonged to the Catholic Christain Faith, but I do understand Catholic Theology. Catholic theology believes that a person is born again at baptism. Did you get baptized as an infant? Do you ever believe that you went through a conversion experience as a Catholic Christian?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
I don't have a clue how to answer this OP because anything I say about my personal experiences with individual Christians in my area, or the doctrines and theology of the Church I was with at the time, will probably be different to yours.

Suffice to say however that my problem with Christianity was Christianity's problem with me: I'm a flaming queer.

Christian Pilgrim

Well, that's up to you, since you started the thread.

My parents are liberal/progressive Catholics who attend church pretty much every week. I went to Catholic school from 4th grade through high school. In my teens I started to question the whole idea of a loving God, and various other aspects of Catholicism. I stopped attening church at around 17. I had brief discussions with my mom and my friend, but never really resolved my questions. I didn't feel like I believed in a god anymore, but I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it. Then, I came here and realized that I'm an atheist. Since then, I find the beliefs and practices of Christians, and members of other Abrahamic faiths, to be increasingly odd.

No doubt, the Christian Faith is odd, or even foolishness to many. The Bible also teaches that the gospel is foolishness to some, and an offense to others. What aspect of Catholicism and Christianity did you question? Can I try to answer those questions that you may had years ago?

Christian Pilgrim

I don't have a clue how to answer this OP because anything I say about my personal experiences with individual Christians in my area, or the doctrines and theology of the Church I was with at the time, will probably be different to yours.

Suffice to say however that my problem with Christianity was Christianity's problem with me: I'm a flaming queer.

What does sexual preference have to do with Christianity and knowing God? There are gays who are united to Christ and love the Lord God. Here's an interesting website regarding gay Christians.

GayChristian.Net: The Gay Christian Network

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
I never belonged to the Catholic Christain Faith, but I do understand Catholic Theology. Catholic theology believes that a person is born again at baptism. Did you get baptized as an infant? Do you ever believe that you went through a conversion experience as a Catholic Christian?

Yea I was baptized and confirmed.

And I don't get what you mean by the question.

Christian Pilgrim

Yea I was baptized and confirmed.

And I don't get what you mean by the question.

Well, in the gospel of John, chapter 3, Jesus tells us that we must be born again before we can even see the kingdom of God. Therefore, I wanted to see if you considered yourself to have been born again before leaving the Christian Faith. Without a rebirth, I'm not sure someone can actually leave the Christain Faith since they were never united to Christ in the first place. I don't mean to confuse you with doctrine and theology. On simpler terms, do you think you were ever converted, or did you just consider yourself a Catholic Christian because your parents raised you that way?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Could you also please share your experience as a Christian. Did you consider yourself to be born again (John 3), and the Spirit of God dwelled in you? Maybe you can share your denominational background and conversion story first?

Sure:D

I was a Methodist Christian until late middle school early high school. I attended church only with my brother as my dad is agnostic and my brother had no interest so neither of them attended. The church is very open and welcoming of all kinds of people and it's still a wonderful place to visit. I was fairly devout, heck I remember once telling my dad that he "should not take the lords name in vain" after he said "god" out of frustration:p, though in truth I was half joking. My experiences at church were very positive. Most of the sermons focused on the teachings of Christ and how to incorporate them into your life and I had a lot of fun helping my mom out with the sunday school and vacation bible school( heck I still help her out in those areas.) There are no hellfire and brimstone sermons, in fact I can't remember a time at all when hell or satan were mentioned at all except if they maybe happened to be in a passage that was being read to the congregation.

When leaving I found myself with a lot of questions and also a lot of curiosity about other faiths and what other people believed in. As I learned more and broadened my horizons I discovered more of myself in the process and found that I no longer believed in Christian mythology and that the philosophy of Christianity didn't completely fit me. So I slowly fell away from the faith and started searching for a new one.

I hope that helps clarify things. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, though it will be a bit as I have to go to work now.:D

Zephyr

Moved on
I left because the idea that anybody needs saving is sickening. Not to mention the fact that somebody (Jesus) could jump in and take the hit. That just ain't just.

Also, your avatar is adorable and I miss my dog.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
What does sexual preference have to do with Christianity and knowing God? There are gays who are united to Christ and love the Lord God. Here's an interesting website regarding gay Christians.

GayChristian.Net: The Gay Christian Network

Exactly what I argued all those years ago. Thing is though, Christianity also has a strong community element, and when that community keeps asking you if you've repented from your gay lifestyle every single time they see you, you loose that community spirit.

Like I said, my experience is probably different to yours, we're gonna be talking past each other.

Anyway, the sense of a strong Religious community was very appealing to me, and finding a Pagan community that was open and accepting of homosexuality was exactly what I wanted and needed. I found the Pagan path to be very insightful, inspiring and fulfilling - I've never looked back, I look fondly on that moment as the changing point in my life for the positive.

Christian Pilgrim

Sure:D

I was a Methodist Christian until late middle school early high school. I attended church only with my brother as my dad is agnostic and my brother had no interest so neither of them attended. The church is very open and welcoming of all kinds of people and it's still a wonderful place to visit. I was fairly devout, heck I remember once telling my dad that he "should not take the lords name in vain" after he said "god" out of frustration:p, though in truth I was half joking. My experiences at church were very positive. Most of the sermons focused on the teachings of Christ and how to incorporate them into your life and I had a lot of fun helping my mom out with the sunday school and vacation bible school( heck I still help her out in those areas.) There are no hellfire and brimstone sermons, in fact I can't remember a time at all when hell or satan were mentioned at all except if they maybe happened to be in a passage that was being read to the congregation.

When leaving I found myself with a lot of questions and also a lot of curiosity about other faiths and what other people believed in. As I learned more and broadened my horizons I discovered more of myself in the process and found that I no longer believed in Christian mythology and that the philosophy of Christianity didn't completely fit me. So I slowly fell away from the faith and started searching for a new one.

I hope that helps clarify things. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, though it will be a bit as I have to go to work now.:D

Thanks for sharing. It appears by omission, you did not experience to be born again or born from above as revealed in John chapter 3, correct? It also seems by omission, that you may not believe that the Spirit of God dwelled in you as an individual?

Christian Pilgrim

I left because the idea that anybody needs saving is sickening. Not to mention the fact that somebody (Jesus) could jump in and take the hit. That just ain't just.

Also, your avatar is adorable and I miss my dog.

Thanks for the compliment about my avatar. I have seen the movie "The Omen" too, and Rottweilers are not devil dogs...LOL. My brother-in law, and father-in law owned several Rottweilters; therefore I know they are great family dogs and great watchdogs too. I own a Basset Hound who gets no respect. Do you think you were ever born again or born from above prior to leaving the Christian Faith? I guess I am asking if you had a conversion experience at a point in your life before leaving Christianity?

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
This thread is for those who were once a professing Christian and have left the Christian Faith. Let's discuss what you have discovered. I'm open to discuss and debate anything that seems to be your reason for leaving Christianity. I am also curious in what you have replaced the Christian Faith with, whatever you're new religion or world view has become.

Qualifications

Raised Southern Baptist, accepted Christ at 12, baptized at 12.
Director of Youth Ministries, age 27.
Deacon, age 30.

Reason for Leaving
Conflicts between the Bible and common sense. Irrational dogma. Unreasonable Christian God.

What I have found as a Modern Deist

Peace

Christian Pilgrim

Exactly what I argued all those years ago. Thing is though, Christianity also has a strong community element, and when that community keeps asking you if you've repented from your gay lifestyle every single time they see you, you loose that community spirit.

Like I said, my experience is probably different to yours, we're gonna be talking past each other.

Anyway, the sense of a strong Religious community was very appealing to me, and finding a Pagan community that was open and accepting of homosexuality was exactly what I wanted and needed. I found the Pagan path to be very insightful, inspiring and fulfilling - I've never looked back, I look fondly on that moment as the changing point in my life for the positive.

I would like to discuss this later on. I can say that Jesus died for both homosexual sinners and hetrosexual sinners. According to Scripture there is no male or female distinction for those who are in Christ.
http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Galatians+4
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. - Paul