• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who left the Christian Faith, let's discuss what you have discovered.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I'm sorry to hear about your dog as well honey...
but honestly it's the face in the middle I find the sweetest. ;)

You really are a beautiful woman Lana.
BLUE-MANDY.jpg

You're making me cry again..too sweet to me...Im not that sweet..I miss my dogs..and they were better people than me..

But anyway ..thank you honey..

Love

Dallas

Christian Pilgrim

That, I remember from what I was taught. I eventually felt like that idea didn't hold any water.

Exactly what I'm talking about. I'm assuming you're saying that one has to be "born again" in order to be "spiritually alive," correct? From my understanding, "born again" itself is a Christian concept. So you'd have to accept and go through with that Christian concept in order to be able to choose whether or not to choose "God." Really doesn't make any sense to me.

So according to your beliefs, "God" forces us to see him, correct? Only then we have free will? Very contrary to what I was taught.

So "God" purposely makes us flawed, and therefore subject to damn ourselves to Hell? And yet he's all-loving? And yet he has a "Plan"?

I'm not sure how you want to continue our friendly discussion. All I can do is discuss things from my perspective which is framed within my understanding of the Scirptures. Since I am finite like everyone else, I too am limited in understanding the Infinite. I'm not sure what you believed as a Christian and why. I do find that many contemporary churches teach things contrary to the Bible and historic Christianity. Maybe many churches teach a form of Christiany humanism due to religious pluarlism, but I can't say for sure. I noticed that some of the Christians on this site get their beliefs from conversations from this site as opposed from the Bible alone (IMO).

Christian Pilgrim

doppelgänger;1510507 said:
:clap:clap Welcome to RF, Christian Pilgrim.

Thanks for the kind response. We can all have personal perspectives which are mutually exclusive of each other. We can all be wrong at the same time, or some of us can be right. The answer or the truth should be known to all once we die, correct? Unless there is no life after death; then we are all toast or dust. However, I am putting my eggs in one basket that the Jesus revealed in the Scriptures is the truth. Here's why:

I Am the Resurrection and the Life

Now when Jesus came, he found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days. Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles off, and many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to console them concerning their brother. So when Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, but Mary remained seated in the house. Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you.” Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.” Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.”

Last edited:

themadhair

Raised Catholic but may never have truly believed. I was an atheist before I knew there was a word for it, and was the first atheist I ever met. Because I was very young at the time I can’t pin down what it was that made me lose belief (assuming I had some). Incidentally, because I lost the faith in a predominantly christian community I never adopted a replacement. At present I am without religious belief in any form.

My leaving probably boiled down to it making no sense whatsoever to me. Not much has changed since.

ca53buckeye

being gentle to all
I am also curious in what you have replaced the Christian Faith with, whatever you're new religion or world view has become.

I grew up in a pentecostal Christian environment. I am 56 and the older I get the more I reject the solitary, patriarchal, absolutist God of the triune religions--Christian, Islam, & Jewish. I believe that when humanity lost its reverence for their surroundings and began reading, they picked up the male-centric, female-bashing monotheism. To this day, women in leadership positions in the triune religions have a very difficult time getting to the same level of governance and acceptance that their male counterparts do. I believe that back when, some fearful, (jealous), or angry papyral scribe hit the ctrl-alt-del on his papyri and following generations never knew that God has, God wants, and God needs a female counterpart. "in our image" could really mean in OUR image. [flippant comment here....wouldn't you be cranky if you didn't get any for 5000 years because all of a sudden someone delares that your significant other does not exist....] So, basically what describes me is a Wicca Shaman. Not the "fruit salad" Wiccan that folks accuse of picking stuff from this and than and this, not the Wiccan that will not set foot out of her house without permission/direction of her Coven, and definitely not the "Charmed Ones" battle evil every day and twice on Sundays Wiccan. I connect with the nurturing of those in need mentally, physically, emotionally, or psychically, mediating betwenst the human/human and human/supernatual worlds type of shaman. But, not like the Strega of Italy that sits in a hut by the side of the road and sells philters and potions for tourists. Well, that is my journey to date...

logician

The main thing you leave behind when you leave Christianity (or many other religions) is the sense of guilt they try to lay on you. The main thing you gain is the freethought that allows for a rational interpretation of nature and the universe.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
The main thing you leave behind when you leave Christianity (or many other religions) is the sense of guilt they try to lay on you. The main thing you gain is the freethought that allows for a rational interpretation of nature and the universe.
What are those many other religions? Islam? Judaism?
I don't remember any Pagan or Easteren religions laying guilty and you or tell one to follow without freethought.

slave2six

Substitious
This thread is for those who were once a professing Christian and have left the Christian Faith. Let's discuss what you have discovered. I'm open to discuss and debate anything that seems to be your reason for leaving Christianity. I am also curious in what you have replaced the Christian Faith with, whatever you're new religion or world view has become.
That's asking a lot for a forum. I'll try to be concise (but I know how I am).

Parents: Hard-core Protestant Christians who, in their early married life, might have considered Bob Jones University to be too liberal. Well, at first anyways. The years have softened them considerably.

Father: Aspired to be a pastor from when I was born until age 12, part time singles-minister at a Baptist church in San Diego (regular Sunday attendance was between 2,500-3,000 people) until I was 18, full time pastor under John Maxwell in Spring Valley CA (again, a large church) until I was 20. I moved out at the age of 20 at this point and he went on to become a full time pastor at a small church in Ojai, Ca, full time pastor at a small church in Moreno Valley, Ca, missionary to Russia, later ordained as a priest in the Episcopal church and now retired and attending an Eastern Orthodox church.

Me: Attended church no less than 4 times per week for the first 19 years of my life. Attended "Christian" (Protestant) schools until high-school. Spent many years from the age of 25-33 actively involved in non-denominational Christian Churches, spent 8 years in the Charismatic Episcopal Church, and then abandoned Christianity altogether.

The reason for this last fact is partly that throughout my life I had always had the "inside scoop" to how the various churches we attended actually operated, I had seen the stupidest and most abusive practices within most of them, and in the last instance underwent a tremendous trauma when a host of evils that had been hidden not only from our parish and diocese but across the denomination. Most of my friends immediately went to Eastern Orthodox churches after the big split and I probably would have as well (we had all been rather leaning in that direction anyways as we were very heavy into the Church Fathers) but I was reeling from the injuries that we had sustained and so I stopped going to church completely. This was rather like an alcoholic going cold-turkey.

It was a year after going to church on a regular basis that I was finally in a state where I ready to move forward. It had become clear by that time (it had been clear all along but I had been so thoroughly indoctrinated and constantly reinforced by perpetual exposure) that the whole business about Christians being a "new creature" or being in any way different from other people was pure drivel. I wanted to know if the faith itself was true. So I started at square 1.

The creation story was never a problem for me as I figured that a "day" could be pretty much any amount of time (considering that it could not be taken literally). I itemized the details and realized that the Bible claims that the Earth, land and vegetation were created before the sun, moon and stars. It was clear to me that Genesis 1-2 could not have been based on divine revelation of any sort whatsoever which left the only option being that whoever wrote it was simply guessing. Not a very good beginning.

The Garden story and the "Fall of man" (Genesis 3) are vital to the Judeo-Christian faith; so much so that if one was to remove that story, none of the rest of the faith makes any sense. The critical question to me then became, "Is this story true?" When I say "true" I don't mean it in the same way that the morals of a fairy tale are, essentially, true. What I meant was, "Is it possible that there ever was a time when man was innocent, that he willfully disobeyed God, and that as a consequence mankind was genetically altered so as to have this ghastly thing called a 'sin nature'?"

It became clear that in order for this to be true in any sense, one has to make some pretty large assumptions. It also became clear that the physical universe has revealed things about our natural past that had to be taken into consideration. I did a lot of reading and learned that with the exception of some very fringe-group "scientists," virtually no one disagrees that evolution as a process has and does occurred. Not all agree that it was Darwinian in nature. Even creationists agree about the data regarding the age of the Earth etc. And this is where the trouble came for me.

No one disagrees that Homo sapiens have been around for 160,000 to 195,000 years and there is little disagreement that human cultures have been around for 50,000 to 60,000 years. Therefore, in order for the "Adam and Eve" story to be true, it must have occurred at least 160,000 years ago because by the time there were human cultures, there were presumably lots of humans around and the actions of two could not account for the remainder. So, in order to believe the biblical account which includes specific ages (e.g. Adam was 130 when Seth was born) one would have to say that everything in Genesis that was pre-Abraham happened some 150,000 years before Abraham thus leaving a very wide expanse of time in which, basically, nothing noteworthy occurred.

That seems quite unlikely in and of itself but the couple that with the fact that the creation story is dead wrong and one is left with plenty of room for reasonable doubt. In fact, there is so much room for reasonable doubt that anyone who operated based on the verifiable evidence would never have come up with a cockamamie story about Adam and Eve.

It seems far more likely to me that since evolution has and does occur and that since every other animal on this planet has tendencies that we as rational beings would find reprehensible in humans that the biggest problem we have is the fact that we are able to reason and yet we are indeed biological entities with natural tendencies that we inherited from our ancestral past.

To further emphasize this point, there are a host of illnesses that through the ages have been attributed to spiritual forces (he has a demon) but which today are treatable with medication. This indicates quite clearly that those behaviors and diseases that mankind has always been aware of are in fact biological issues that are treatable using physical means. This in turn underscores that there is nothing "spiritually" wrong with people. If the past is any indicator, it seems quite clear that every problem with humanity will one day be identified in the human brain and that perhaps one day we will find a way to treat ourselves accordingly and drastically reduce or eliminate all of our worst vices by means of scientific discoveries.

Some people freak out over such a notion and start thinking up all the fabled stories that people have concocted. But if one looks at reality, there is no need for this nonsense and fear. Take nuclear power for instance. We used it to end a way and found the power so incredible that we as a race have patrolled ourselves and used that power to generate electricity without blowing each other to smithereens. This is, I think, the natural result of all powerful scientific discovery. Once we realize that something is potentially fatal (which we tend to do by killing people first), we patrol ourselves and use that power for good purposes (even though the threat of using it for fatal purposes is not entirely beneficial).

At any rate, it became clear to me that the whole Adam & Eve bit was entirely fabricated. There was simply no way to mesh the details of the physical world with that story either as actual events or as allegory in any form (allegory being the weaker of the two arguments anyways since the "cure" for man's sin nature is the real, physical, bloody human sacrifice of Christ) and therefore all the rest of the Judeo-Christian faith fell apart. I have no problem using the lives of Jesus and Gandhi as examples of excellent moral behavior but savior of the world? I think not. Indeed, if history has taught us anything about Christianity as an institution, it is not a force of good in the world. As a concept, it is excellent in helping people through life - but so is Buddhism, Taoism, and just about every other religion where people take that religion to be a guideline for good behavior and nothing more. Christianity hold no special place in this regard.

Today, I don't "believe" in anything that is not obviously real. I believe that polio vaccines have eradicated polio as a threat to our population. I believe that the space program has resulted in many very practical advances for modern medical sciences as well as daily living for most people in the free world. And I believe that professional religious persons, politicians, and used car salesmen all ought to come with a warning label and that only a great fool will take anything they say at face value.

In the end, thinking is better than believing.

Last edited:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
This thread is for those who were once a professing Christian and have left the Christian Faith. Let's discuss what you have discovered. I'm open to discuss and debate anything that seems to be your reason for leaving Christianity. I am also curious in what you have replaced the Christian Faith with, whatever you're new religion or world view has become.
Even thought you've been banned, I'll answer this anyway :)

I discovered the Gnostic Gospels... they helped me understand The One far better than Christianity did. So I converted. Though I'm still extremely fond of Orthodoxy and Episcopalians, I didn't feel the immense light inside when I was part of the Church that I find now.

ca53buckeye

being gentle to all
At any rate, it became clear to me that the whole Adam & Eve bit was entirely fabricated.

I concur. All it took was one misogynistic papyrus copy editor to ctrl-alt-del certain facts and Eve is the villainess for all time making it so much easier to control 50% of the population (once you got them to believe it...) :wolf::wolf:

cottage

Like all Christians, I know in part. But I would love to attempt to answer your questions within the Scirptures. Let's start with question one first.

The classic problem of evil: If God is all-good and all-loving and all-powerful, then why does evil exist?

The Bible is clear that God is light, and Him there is no darkness at all. In addition, Scripture tells us that God cannot be tempted by evil. It is impossible for God to sin or to lie, or to do something against His holiness. He is the perfect moral being. We also know that God is completely sovereign, that Satan must ask for permission to act (the book of Job). We also know that God has the power to destroy Satan at any point of history. And we also know that God knew Lucifer would rebel and fall with 1/3 of the Angels. God could have created Lucifer with the ability to not fall or rebel. The answer is not free will as many may think. Scripture is clear that God does everything for His own glory and His own good pleasure. He acts according to His own wisdom and purposes... which is glorious. Evil is a mystery in the Scriptures, but evil is allowed because God is ultimately glorified through allowing evil in His creation, yet He is not the author of evil. How would we know the love of God is such depth without the cross? How did God demonstrate His love for us?

You say God is the perfect moral being, and that Satan, whom God could destroy at any point, must ask for permission to act. You are telling us that God permits the existence of Satan and evil for his own glory and pleasure. And you say God is not the author of evil. So, we have perfectly moral being, which, by your own admission, is self-evidently not the epitome of moral perfection, and a Supreme Being who is not the author of evil, which means that God is not the creator of all things! You then follow this with the argument from ignorance: ‘evil is a mystery’, while still hoping to justify its existence by absurdly wanting to make God’s supposed goodness dependent upon evil! All in all, a rather confused and contradictory explanation.

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
I used to be a Russian Orthodox for all of my teenage years and early twenties. As my empathic gift developed, I came the realization of the unity of everything, the connectedness of the Universe and the energy throughout everything, and the whole idea of God as it was portrayed by the church became increasingly conflicting with what I was feeling. And when I started to ask questions, I was told to "just believe, or you will burn in hell". I am sorry, but I dont like the kind of God that will burn you in hell for asking questions.

I still go to church at times, to put a candle up for my father and other family members who have passed on. It is more like a symbolic thing for me I suppose..

Also I do not intend to upset anyone but the whole idea of the "mother of God" is a bit preposterous.. I believe that Jesus was an enlightened teacher, but God? even the part of God, or third of God, still doesn't make sense.

logician

What are those many other religions? Islam? Judaism?
I don't remember any Pagan or Easteren religions laying guilty and you or tell one to follow without freethought.

Yes, Islam and Judaism would qualify, most religions have some sort of a set of rules to go by, where one may well feel "guilt" if they don't follow them.

slave2six

Substitious
Originally Posted by slave2six
At any rate, it became clear to me that the whole Adam & Eve bit was entirely fabricated.
I concur. All it took was one misogynistic papyrus copy editor to ctrl-alt-del certain facts and Eve is the villainess for all time making it so much easier to control 50% of the population (once you got them to believe it...)
The astounding thing to me is that not one person in the Christian faith has been able to get me past this major hurtle. And I'm talking about some really really smart people who in any other surrounding would demand proof but for some reason their minds just go blank when it comes to matters of faith. It's truly weird to me. I highly doubt that CP will be the one to crack the code...

ca53buckeye

being gentle to all
And when I started to ask questions, I was told to "just believe, or you will burn in hell".
Yep, been there, heard that. Guilt is not so terrible a burden if you no longer tie into that belief.

I still go to church at times, to put a candle up for my father and other family members who have passed on. It is more like a symbolic thing for me I suppose...

I am the creator and mistress of the Luther Church's internet prayer chain. It is the first internet chain of any faith's in a 35mile radius. I only run it now because I am doing a service for them but not for them and me. If someone took it over tomorrow I would not look back. I no longer have the connection, not the desire to be connected with them. Nice folks, and I will do them a service....

Also I do not intend to upset anyone but the whole idea of the "mother of God" is a bit preposterous..

Pretentious, even. :wolf::wolf: