• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who left the Christian Faith, let's discuss what you have discovered.

Zephyr

Moved on
Thanks for the compliment about my avatar. I have seen the moive Omen too, and Rottweilers are not devil dogs...LOL. My brother-in law, and father-in laws owned several Rottweilters and they are great family dogs. I own a Bbasset Hound who gets no respect.
Rottweilers are awesome. My friend has one, and it is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. Then again, the only dog I know that's friendlier is my brother-in-law's Pitt Bull. It's all about how they're raised.

Do you think you were ever born again or born from above prior to leaving the Christian Faith? I guess I am asking if you had a conversion experience at a point in your life before leaving Christianity?
I was never really that devout of a Christian. I was raised in a very liberal Christian home, but at one point I just sort of realized that even if everything in the bible was true I couldn't accept Jesus's sacrifice with a clear conscience. It just wouldn't be fair. The only person who can wash away my wrongdoings is me.

Christian Pilgrim

Qualifications
Raised Southern Baptist, accepted Christ at 12, baptized at 12.
Director of Youth Ministries, age 27.
Deacon, age 30.

Reason for Leaving
Conflicts between the Bible and common sense. Irrational dogma. Unreasonable Christian God.

What I have found as a Modern Deist
Peace

Thanks for sharing your spirual journey and qualifications. I will have to leave for the evening but look forward to our discussion. How many of the Founding Fathers were Deists? I would like to discuss the apparent conflicts and tensions found in the Christian Faith too.

Christian Pilgrim

Rottweilers are awesome. My friend has one, and it is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. Then again, the only dog I know that's friendlier is my brother-in-law's Pitt Bull. It's all about how they're raised.

I was never really that devout of a Christian. I was raised in a very liberal Christian home, but at one point I just sort of realized that even if everything in the bible was true I couldn't accept Jesus's sacrifice with a clear conscience. It just wouldn't be fair. The only person who can wash away my wrongdoings is me.

So, what kind of dog did you have? My father in law now has a three legged Doberman and a Pit-Bull beagle mix. I get to play with them on a regular basis. If you are no longer a Christian, how do you determine right from wrong since you appear to state that you will have to get an account for your wrongdoings. And who will you be giving an account to?

Seven

six plus one
This thread is for those who were once a professing Christian and have left the Christian Faith. Let's discuss what you have discovered. I'm open to discuss and debate anything that seems to be your reason for leaving Christianity. I am also curious in what you have replaced the Christian Faith with, whatever you're new religion or world view has become.
I was raised from birth as a JW, and I stayed until about 18. There was no one event that caused me to leave, I just sort of drifted away, eventually reaching the point of atheism. I've not replaced the Christian faith with anything. Faith is not a good quality.

I've discovered a lot of things since leaving.
- Witnesses are not as unique as they like to think
- Evolution is true and everything I was taught about it as a child was little more than propaganda
- There's nothing wrong with homosexuality, and it is not a choice
- Brainwashing your kids from birth is a kind of child abuse (regardless of good intentions)
- Faith can make good people do evil things

That's all I can think of for now, I've got to go to work. I'll be back tonight:)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This thread is for those who were once a professing Christian and have left the Christian Faith. Let's discuss what you have discovered. I'm open to discuss and debate anything that seems to be your reason for leaving Christianity. I am also curious in what you have replaced the Christian Faith with, whatever you're new religion or world view has become.

You already know my story CP from another thread, but I'll add on some other factors that helped sway me over to the horde of heathenism. In no particular order nor a complete list by any means, here are some of my fave highlights.........

1) Talking snake

2) Magic fruit that puts thoughts into your head.

3) Prego virgins

4) Talking donkey

5) Walking on water

6) Turning water to wine

7) Collapsing stone walls by blowing into horns

8) Holding the sun still by raising your arms up

9) Defeating an army with a donkey's jawbone. (Test that one for a Mythbusters challenge :p)

10) Standing unburnt in the middle of fire

11) A bush burning without it being burnt.

12) Instantaneously changing linguistics

13) A person that turns into a pillar of salt.

14) Ascending into the air without the aid of aircraft.

15) Raising the dead. (I mean really really dead)

16) A wooden ark that holds essentially every living thing on the earth.

17) A life spanning over hundreds of years.

18) A star that can pinpoint a specific location on the earth

19) Talking trees, bushes and vines.

20) detached hand that writes on walls

21) Living inside a fish for three days

What I discovered from it all is an awakening to rationality and reason in the face of reality.

:eek: -NM-

Last edited:

Zephyr

Moved on
So, what kind of dog did you have? My father in law now has a three legged Doberman and a Pit-Bull beagle mix. I get to play with them on a regular basis.

My mom has a maltese-yorkie mix that's pretty alright, if wimpy, and my fiancee will be getting a newfoundland at the beginning of next month. I mostly just miss my cousin's Great Dane Yogi. Awesome dog. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it's great because he thinks he's people. Sits and sleeps on the couch, watches TV when we do, and even dances when music is on. Also once started a fire trying to eat an empty pizza box left on the counter near the stove. It'll be great to head back home for summer after the semester ends.

If you are no longer a Christian, how do you determine right from wrong since you appear to state that you will have to get an account for your wrongdoings. And who will you be giving an account to?
The only person I need to account to is myself, and you can have morals without being a Christian, or even religious ;). Some of us will do good for good's sake. As a Heathen/Asatruar/Irminist/whatever, I have my own set of morals, largely laid out in the Eddas and Havamal.

Christian Pilgrim

I was raised from birth as a JW, and I stayed until about 18. There was no one event that caused me to leave, I just sort of drifted away, eventually reaching the point of atheism. I've not replaced the Christian faith with anything. Faith is not a good quality.

I've discovered a lot of things since leaving.
- Witnesses are not as unique as they like to think
- Evolution is true and everything I was taught about it as a child was little more than propaganda
- There's nothing wrong with homosexuality, and it is not a choice
- Brainwashing your kids from birth is a kind of child abuse (regardless of good intentions)
- Faith can make good people do evil things

That's all I can think of for now, I've got to go to work. I'll be back tonight:)

I have an Uncle and Aunt who were devout Jehovah Witnesses who have left faith. I think most on this site will agree that the Jehovah Witness Faith is not considered Christian in the orthodox historic sense. But I would still enjoy a discussion with you.

Christian Pilgrim

My mom has a maltese-yorkie mix that's pretty alright, if wimpy, and my fiancee will be getting a newfoundland at the beginning of next month. I mostly just miss my cousin's Great Dane Yogi. Awesome dog. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it's great because he thinks he's people. Sits and sleeps on the couch, watches TV when we do, and even dances when music is on. Also once started a fire trying to eat an empty pizza box left on the counter near the stove. It'll be great to head back home for summer after the semester ends.

The only person I need to account to is myself, and you can have morals without being a Christian, or even religious ;). Some of us will do good for good's sake. As a Heathen/Asatruar/Irminist/whatever, I have my own set of morals, largely laid out in the Eddas and Havamal.

Do you think the last 6 commandments in the 10 commandments are morals that should be universal truth to all mankind? Please let me post them first before you answer. Here's the last 6 commandments. The first four commandments are about our duty to God; therefore, they are not really relevant to this discussion on morality.

“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
6 “You shall not murder.
7 “You shall not commit adultery.
8 “You shall not steal.
9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”

Last edited:

Zephyr

Moved on
Edit: Oh hey, looks like I wasn't far off at all. That's pretty cool I guess.
Do you think the last 6 commandments in the 10 commandments are morals that should be universal truth to all mankind? Please let me post them first before you answer.

It's been forever, but let me give it a shot (in no specific order):
No murdering, adulterying, stealing, coveting wife and property, and bearing false witness? Those are all good morals, but they've been there longer than the 10 commandments. Heck, I'd even throw respecting your parents in the lump of "good commandments". Though really, they should stand on their own without being commanded. I could break any one of them without being punished in the afterlife (except kin-slaying, which I suppose is a variation on murder), but I don't because I understand that committing those acts generally hurt other people, and people deserve a bit more respect than that.

blackout

Violet.
Originally Posted by mball1297
What do you want to know?
CP's response...
Whatever you would like to discuss. But first let's qualify your journey as a Christian. Maybe you can share your Christian journey, and then your journey away from the Christian Faith.

He wants to "qualify" your journey as a christian honey.
(ie... decide if you ever REALLY qualified as a christian to begin with)

He wants enough information to try and twist against you
to show how you were immature in faith... etc etc etc
Or how YOUR "kind" of christianity was the wrong "kind"...
how you never really were a christian to begin with.
(because he knows)

He's going to answer all your questions!
Point out all your mistakes....
help "fix you" poor lost souls.

He doesn't give a rats bum about YOUR experience.

He just wants a chance to tell you where you went wrong.
The man is on a mission.

I would not cast my pearls....

Last edited:

Christian Pilgrim

(because he knows)

The man is on a mission.

I'm glad you found this thread UltraViolet. I hope you will particpate with all of us, and of course in sharing with mutual respect for each other. BTW, are you a dog lover?

logician

I was raised in a strong protestant upbringing, and attended church fairly regularly most of my youth. I gradually drifted away from religion as an adult, until I became convinced there was no evidence really that 1) religions were any more than myth, and 2) any god existed.

Since then I have been an atheist, and enjoy the sense of relief actually of not having to worry about conforming to some religious doctrine.

OmarKhayyam

His "mission" is really not much. He is more bark than bite. If you don't let him dictate the rules he is actually a pushover. And gives up easily. See the "Pluralism" thread.

Like many fundies his fund of knowledge is neither wide nor deep and he is given to wildly inaccurate statements born of ignorance.

God's chosen warriors should be made of sterner stuff.;)

Nonetheless, your "pearls . . ." admonition is well made.:cool:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
He wants to "qualify" your journey as a christian honey. (ie... decide if you ever REALLY qualified as a christian to begin with)

(because he knows)

The man is on a mission.

Violet!!!!! How dare you go spill the beans! You big party pooper! :D

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
No doubt, the Christian Faith is odd, or even foolishness to many. The Bible also teaches that the gospel is foolishness to some, and an offense to others. What aspect of Catholicism and Christianity did you question? Can I try to answer those questions that you may had years ago?

I eventually questioned all aspects of them. You're welcome to try to answer my questions, if you'd like, but it'll be futile, as I already know the answers.

The questions are:

The classic problem of evil: If God is all-good and all-loving and all-powerful, then why does evil exist?

What do we have to go on other than some people's testimonies?

Why are so many other people so sure of their religions?

Why are there so many contradictions in the Bible, and what is supposed to make me think it's anything more than a group of people in ancient times describing life through their eyes, and through the use of myths? Why am I supposed to believe any of it literally, and believe that it's inspired by God?

There are many others, but those are some of the basics. We can just let them go, though. I've been over them many times before, and I know what the answers are.

Smoke

Done here.
I was brought up Methodist (United Methodist from the age of 8). Baptized in infancy and confirmed at 13. "Accepted Jesus as my personal savior" at about 12. I was always very interested in religion, and visited many different kinds of churches. When I was about 13, my family left the UMC and helped found an independent charismatic church that was sort of an off-shoot of the Christian Churches.

At fourteen, baptized in the Church of Christ and "baptized in the Holy Spirit" at a Full Gospel Business Men's meeting, which was an odd confluence of events since the Church of Christ I belonged to was very anti-charismatic. Moved away and didn't join another Church of Christ; attended various charismatic, Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Joined the Presbyterian Church, but more as a gesture of respect to my parents than anything else. I was more involved in Bible study groups than with the church as such.

At 18, I moved to Heritage USA (yes, Jimmy and Tammy Faye's place), where I became thoroughly disenchanted with the charismatic movement. I moved back to Columbia and dissociated myself from the charismatic movement. I began to describe myself as "a believer, but not a Christian."

At 19, I began studying Orthodoxy, but after a cool reception from the Greek priest I joined the Episcopal Church instead - confirmed at 21.

At 24, I converted to Orthodoxy after all; I was baptized and chrismated by a priest of the Greek Archdiocese and was involved in various Orthodox jurisdictions over the years. On joining the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia I was chrismated again, bringing my lifetime total to three baptisms and four confirmations/chrismations. :)

After a little over 20 years of being Orthodox, I decided I couldn't be a Christian anymore, on peace and justice grounds. Specifically, I objected to clergy promoting war, to the church's refusal to ordain women, and to the church's treatment of gay people. I considered the United Church of Christ, my grandmother's church, but wasn't satisfied because I found that the level of acceptance of gay people varied widely from association to association and from congregation to congregation.

Very quickly after I gave up my identity as a Christian, I realized I had no real reason to believe in Christian dogma, and I was a sort of vague monotheist for a very little until I realized I didn't have any reason to believe in god, either, and recognized that I was an atheist.

Presently I consider myself an atheist and a Buddhist who strongly identifies with liberal Quakerism.

That is, believe it or not, the Reader's Digest version. It was all much more involved than that.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing. It appears by omission, you did not experience to be born again or born from above as revealed in John chapter 3, correct? It also seems by omission, that you may not believe that the Spirit of God dwelled in you as an individual?

While I was baptized I never used the terms "born again" to describe myself and probably wouldn't have. As for your second question I'm not sure honestly. Though I would certainly say there were times when I "felt god" so most likely I did believe that. The only reason why I can't say with 100% certainty is because I simply don't have a specific memory of "believing that the spirit of god swelled within me as an individual." Though that probably has more to do with the fact that I never thought about it in those terms. There was lots of talk of the holy spirit being within us and I don't remember doubting those words until I started questioning my faith in Christianity in general. And if you'd asked me this question when I was Christian there's no doubt in my mind that I would have said yes, so yeah I'll say that I did believe that, at least until someone comes along with a time machine that can prove otherwise:D. lol.

Meh, I hope I'm making sense here, does that answer your questions at all or did I just leave you more confused:eek::D

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Well, in the gospel of John, chapter 3, Jesus tells us that we must be born again before we can even see the kingdom of God. Therefore, I wanted to see if you considered yourself to have been born again before leaving the Christian Faith. Without a rebirth, I'm not sure someone can actually leave the Christain Faith since they were never united to Christ in the first place. I don't mean to confuse you with doctrine and theology. On simpler terms, do you think you were ever converted, or did you just consider yourself a Catholic Christian because your parents raised you that way?

Hmm...well I considered myself Catholic because I was baptized and confirmed in that faith. I went to Catholic school K-8 and we went to church every week (except in the younger grades). So I was going twice a week back then. And when I went to Vacation Bible School they wanted to "save" me but they were baptist. I was really young so I just said "sure." And they...did it...I guess? I don't know. It was weird. They shouldn't do that with little kids who aren't even sure what they're talking about.

Anyways...I mean, I considered myself fully a part of that faith. Baptism, Eucharist, Reconciliation, Confirmation...did all that with full faith. So...:shrug:

Christian Pilgrim

I was raised in a strong protestant upbringing, and attended church fairly regularly most of my youth. I gradually drifted away from religion as an adult, until I became convinced there was no evidence really that 1) religions were any more than myth, and 2) any god existed.

Since then I have been an atheist, and enjoy the sense of relief actually of not having to worry about conforming to some religious doctrine.

Thanks for sharing Curly. I am personally interested to see if those who once were Christians and left the Faith consider if they were once born from above (born again). Did you consider yourself converted or born again at a point in your life?

Christian Pilgrim

His "mission" is really not much. He is more bark than bite. If you don't let him dictate the rules he is actually a pushover. And gives up easily. See the "Pluralism" thread.

Like many fundies his fund of knowledge is neither wide nor deep and he is given to wildly inaccurate statements born of ignorance.

God's chosen warriors should be made of sterner stuff.;)

Nonetheless, your "pearls . . ." admonition is well made.:cool:

Thanks for moving to this thread. Of course you are more than welcome over here. Please try to stay within the thread topic. Do you mind sharing your Christian experience? Did you consider yourself converted at a point, or born from above? At what point and for what reason did you leave the Christian Faith. Which denomination did you belong to?