• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Will and the Problem of Evil

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I haven't read any replies so I apologise if this reply is a repeat of an earlier reply..

I don't think evil has to exist for good to exist...

I don't think freewill has to lead to evil...

good and evil needs to be defined and a standard needs to be set to measure them..

If you believe in God some standards are set, if you don't those standards are relative...

What is God's standard then? Please summarise for us.

9Westy9

Premium Member
have you read the ten commandments....:)

1-4 All about worshipping God. How vain of him
5 So even if your parents are abusive you should honour them?
6 Is that do not kill under any circumstance? I'd agree with unnecessary killing however.
7-10 I agree

Still no laws on: slavery, rape, homosexuality etc.

If she were all-powerful and all-knowing, then there would be no excuse for allowing the existence of evil in the first place since free will could still be preserved.

I think there is some value to be had in experiencing evil. Good lessons can be learned. If we had an eternity to live, sooner or later some of us might want to experience a life in this world. Maybe all sorts of worlds were created so we could have variety. Life on earth is challenging and harsh, and maybe thats what immortals would want from time to time. Personally, I can't say I know what living forever would be like, and how that would influence my choices and the experiences I would want to have.

Evil would be going against gods will. If we have that ability god would have to allow it to happen which would make him an accomplise. If he wanted robots then we would do whatever he wants at the push of a button or by voice command.

Maybe you chose to live a life in this world. Perhaps after a few eternities of perfection and bliss you got a little bored and decided to live a challenging life on earth. And now your complaining about it. Unbelievable... :thud:

The good news is that God will eventually do something about those people who choose to act in evil ways...he will evict them permanently so that they will not exist...then the problem of evil vanishes.

Leave it up to the Abrahamic to present the most accepting and forgiving version of God. If we are lucky, your merciless delusions will vanish.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Maybe you chose to live a life in this world. Perhaps after a few eternities of perfection and bliss you got a little bored and decided to live a challenging life on earth. And now your complaining about it. Unbelievable... :thud:
I wasn't complaining about hardships but if god is trying to challenge us he is definitely involved. I was saying that god is an accomplice. He didn't make us into robots he remote controls but doesn't mean he can't control whats going on.

I wasn't complaining about hardships but if god is trying to challenge us he is definitely involved. I was saying that god is an accomplice. He didn't make us into robots he remote controls but doesn't mean he can't control whats going on.

Sure. This world could be the product of the involvement of a vast number of beings who thought creating it would be a good idea. In that sense God would be an accomplice along with all those other beings. But the word accomplice makes it sound like a crime haha. As for controlling whats going on, maybe he does, to some extent. Maybe he has ultimate power, but is very liberal in accomodating what people want. In a sense, he would be in control, but to a large extent so would the beings who would get pretty much whatever they want.

9Westy9

Premium Member
no it doesn't it shows the enemy travels around causing trouble for people...:)

After being given God's permission

9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

12 The LORD said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”

Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

yourgraceisenough

After being given God's permission

9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

12 The LORD said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”

Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

now did God give his permission, Did God actually have a hedge around Job or was it a perceived protection by the enemy...

yourgraceisenough

:facepalm: verse 10 of Chapter 1

9So Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing? 10Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.

read it again who says a hedge has been built around Job...??:)

9Westy9

Premium Member
9So Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing? 10Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.

read it again who says a hedge has been built around Job...??:)

Satan said that God built the hedge. What is your point?