• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free will?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Bruce DeMesquita has developed an algorithm for predicting the future.
He believes he can do it.

idav

Being
Premium Member
When you said, "True but at the point one can calculate to predict," I assumed this "point" you refer to here is when one "just calculate an alternative."

Yes but a calculated prediction might look good on paper but it hasn't been determined until 'now' occurs. Just the ability to use an event that hasn't happened as a cause is a paradox which leaves us choice.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Yes but a calculated prediction might look good on paper but it hasn't been determined until 'now' occurs. Just the ability to use an event that hasn't happened as a cause is a paradox which leaves us choice.
:cover: In any case, you choose whatever because . . . . . . . . . .

idav

Being
Premium Member
:cover: In any case, you choose whatever because . . . . . . . . . .

Cause a probabilistic version of me screwed up the time so that it looped creating multiple parallel versions of me then chose whatever (sorry I've been watching outer limits :eek:).

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You in isolation are predictable, but the universe as a whole isn't. (Because you will never know enough.)

In isolation?...I would be predictable.
I think that situation would take away my sanity and my 'predictability'.
You would never know next what I might do.

The universe is more predictable.
Substance has rules....and no freewill.

A persistent illusion.

lol. Illusion? What does that mean? Can you make a formula to predict the next action of a person? and anyway, What makes organism and non organism different? Free will to do anything, Organism can move by itself with no force acting on it which still falls to free will.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
lol. Illusion? What does that mean? Can you make a formula to predict the next action of a person? and anyway, What makes organism and non organism different? Free will to do anything, Organism can move by itself with no force acting on it which still falls to free will.
Actually, we can detect the "will" to act a few seconds before the person is consciously aware of their "will".

You can't choose otherwise.

What counts as the ability to "move by itself"? Are you positing an external, random energy source? If not, then you have those pesky laws of physics and causality to consult.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, we can detect the "will" to act a few seconds before the person is consciously aware of their "will".

Not really, or at least that's merely one interpretation (and a controversial one) of some experimental results (usually Libet's work), but it is not generally accepted within the cognitive and neuropsychological sciences.

If not, then you have those pesky laws of physics and causality to consult.
There are no "laws" of causality.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Gjallerhorn, question.

What if there's a will that exists just before the detection of it, which is then conscious-ified?
Then you wouldn't call it free will, would you? If the will precedes the conscious knowledge of that will, you wouldn't claim to have willed it, would you? It would be like throwing a coin, looking at the result, and then claiming that's what you guessed.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Then you wouldn't call it free will, would you? If the will precedes the conscious knowledge of that will, you wouldn't claim to have willed it, would you? It would be like throwing a coin, looking at the result, and then claiming that's what you guessed.
Do we know whether the sub-conscious or main consciousness makes the decisions? Of course our action or reaction comes after the deliberation. The process being linear doesn't explain where volition comes from.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Do we know whether the sub-conscious or main consciousness makes the decisions? Of course our action or reaction comes after the deliberation. The process being linear doesn't explain where volition comes from.
Seems to come from the subconscious. Reaction typically precedes conscious awareness and emotion.

You can't choose otherwise.

What counts as the ability to "move by itself"? Are you positing an external, random energy source? If not, then you have those pesky laws of physics and causality to consult.
Its still your will. And do you need an outside force to make yourself move? lol no.