• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Zimmerman Verdict: NOT GUILTY

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A worthless and destructive legally correct verdict, yes.
I know there are some who see the court's function as making decisions based upon what they believe to be best for society. That is a fine larger goal, but in practice, they must rule based upon evidence & law, no matter where that leads. To do otherwise would gut confidence in the system & compliance with the law. We cannot have our courts deciding cases based upon the races of the accused & the victim.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How well established is it that Travyon sought the conflict instead of the other way around?
This is not well established at all.

Or that his only reasonable self-defense involved using lethal force?
We had testimony that Zimmerman was a poor fighter. With Martin on top of him pounding away, this made using a gun appear reasonable.

Without a lot of certainty in both accounts, the most generous reading of the verdict is that it might conceivably turn out to be fair.
That sums it up well.

And even so, it is still destructive, due to its consequences outside of Zimmerman's personal convenience.
"Convenience" strikes me as the wrong word to describe his surviving an assault.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I know there are some who see the court's function as making decisions based upon what they believe to be best for society. That is a fine larger goal, but in practice, they must rule based upon evidence & law, no matter where that leads. To do otherwise would gut confidence in the system & compliance with the law.

Which is both unavoidable and necessary.

We cannot have our courts deciding cases based upon the races of the accused & the victim.

But we sure should consider who carries a firearm and who killed who.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is not well established at all.

We had testimony that Zimmerman was a poor fighter. With Martin on top of him pounding away, this made using a gun appear reasonable.

That sums it up well.

"Convenience" strikes me as the wrong word to describe his surviving an assault.

I flat out doubt he had to kill Travyon to survive. The convenience I mean is that of not serving time due to manslaughter.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I flat out doubt he had to kill Travyon to survive. The convenience I mean is that of not serving time due to manslaughter.
If we accept the testimony that Zimmerman is a poor fighter, & recognize that he was taking
a beating without inflicting any damage upon Martin, then what else would he have done?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

If he's not a good fighter and he's getting his head bounced off the ground, what other option does he have? What would you do if put in that position? Would you let him keep smashing your head into the ground in hopes that he'll grow tired and stop?

Also, there were no legal grounds to convict for manslaughter. It wasn't convenience; it was due process.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Both Martin and GZ made mistakes with GZ making the first one by following the kid but even that wasn't a crime, regardless of the instructions of the 911 operator. To my knowledge it is not a crime to disregard a 911 operator. Trayvon then probably said something to the degree of "you got a problem?" and assaulted him. Murderers usually don't call the police before they act. Murderers usually don't make statements to the police without their lawyers. Even if GZ threw the first punch, Trayvon should've laid off the guy after it was clear he was no match physically. At most, this should've been a common neighborhood scrap between two guys that ended with maybe a couple of black eyes and a bloody nose.

Wirey

Fartist
If we accept the testimony that Zimmerman is a poor fighter, & recognize that he was taking
a beating without inflicting any damage upon Martin, then what else would he have done?

Take the beating maybe? I mean, and I'm not saying Martin is an innocent little lambkin here, Zimmerman followed him and caused the problem. If he backs off, nothing happens. Therefore, maybe a nice black eye would have served as an instructional device to many more pudgy, out of shape shcmucks who become evryone's equal the instant they can afford a Beretta. I'll bet if you asked him now, he'd take the beating. And in my humble opinion, he earned it.

Violence never solves anything, and if anyone disagrees with me, I'll break their legs! I mean, look, a birdie!

Wirey

Fartist
I know there are some who see the court's function as making decisions based upon what they believe to be best for society. That is a fine larger goal, but in practice, they must rule based upon evidence & law, no matter where that leads. To do otherwise would gut confidence in the system & compliance with the law. We cannot have our courts deciding cases based upon the races of the accused & the victim.

Tried to frubal this. The courts uphold the law, not the prevailing emotional state of the loudest complainers.

Alceste

Vagabond
Just read that an elderly black man who was in a similar confrontation and killed a much larger, younger white man who was choking him has just been convicted of manslaughter in Florida. Stand your ground but only if you're white!

Wirey

Fartist
Just read that an elderly black man who was in a similar confrontation and killed a much larger, younger white man who was choking him has just been convicted of manslaughter in Florida. Stand your ground but only if you're white!

Source? I wanna send it around at work.

adi2d

Could someone with more street fight experience help me picture the situation

Travon is in full mount position pounding Zs head into the concrete and Z can reach his holstered weapon? Not only draw it but swing it up and fire.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It could be racism, but there is also this extremely provocative act by the defendant....
Neighbors who witnessed the altercation and later testified said they saw Dooley flip up his T-shirt, revealing a gun in his waistband, while cursing at James.
(I don't think she reads the articles she doesn't link.)

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

George Zimmerman isn't white... Stop making this a race issue.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Could someone with more street fight experience help me picture the situation

Travon is in full mount position pounding Zs head into the concrete and Z can reach his holstered weapon? Not only draw it but swing it up and fire.

Not impossible; actually very likely. In the full mount position, Zimmerman's hip would be a couple inches below the crook of Martin's knee; Martin would be sitting on Zimmerman's belly button area. That leaves enough room to access the gun and slide it out of the holster. Since Martin has a hold of Zimmerman's head it is safe to assume Martin has broken the guard and Zimmerman's arms are flailing free. It's not an amazing feat of flexibility to reach around Martin's knee and pull the gun out from its holster, and his arms still pretty much have full range of movement since they aren't pinned down in the full mount position.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Take the beating maybe? I mean, and I'm not saying Martin is an innocent little lambkin here, Zimmerman followed him and caused the problem. If he backs off, nothing happens. Therefore, maybe a nice black eye would have served as an instructional device to many more pudgy, out of shape shcmucks who become evryone's equal the instant they can afford a Beretta. I'll bet if you asked him now, he'd take the beating. And in my humble opinion, he earned it.
Violence never solves anything, and if anyone disagrees with me, I'll break their legs! I mean, look, a birdie!
He might have believed the beating could result in severe injury or death.
(I know one fella who was beaten so badly he was never right in the head afterwards. I know another who was in the can, & his assailant jumped in & beat him to the point where he was hospitalized. Dang, I know a lot of guys who have been beaten.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's perfectly legal to own a firearm in the US. Having a firearm only makes Zimmerman a criminal in your fantasy land...
In his country (Brazil), only criminals & cops have guns.
Is this redundant?
Anyway, it's considered wrong for ordinary folk to defend themselves with guns.
I've no plans to move there.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
George Zimmerman isn't white... Stop making this a race issue.

I'm a little sick of this as well. This case was a b.s. manufactured storyline for the start. The news needed a white man to make the story sellable so they created a man who" identifies as Hispanic" whose father is "white" and whose mother is "Hispanic". In reality Zimmerman has native American and African roots through his mother and Jewish roots through his dad. Not quite as good a story. Still, if George's last name is Sanchez or Rodriguez we probably never about it.

Last edited: