• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Zimmerman Verdict: NOT GUILTY

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Regarding the "there's no proof that Zimmerman was stalking Trayvon" crowd:

What do you make of Trayvon's phone call to his girlfriend?

She testified that Martin told her that a “creepy-*** cracker” was following him but that he thought he had evaded him. But she said a short time later, Martin let out a profanity.

Martin said the man was behind him, and Jeantel heard Martin ask: “What are you following me for?”

She then heard what sounded like Martin’s phone drop into the grass and she heard him say, “Get off! Get off!”

The phone then went dead, she said.
from HERE

Was he just making it up that he was being followed?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Any one visiting the UK would notice how un violent the place is. I have never seen a violent crime in 78 years.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

I've lived in the economically deprived area that I live in now since December 2007.

I've seen plenty of crime, from drug dealers, to assaults, to people throwing fireworks at people's windows, to gunshots. Hell, one of the neighbours is a drug dealer now. My friend delivering Chinese food, and they actually had a customer turn up at the same time and order "a tenner's worth". In broad daylight.

I even lived next to a member of one of the largest gangs (I don't mean a kid "crew". An actual, adult, crime family) in my area. He said he was going to "sort out" the person who tried to break into his house, as he found out who it was. Result, two weeks later when I was next chatting with him, he mentioned that the kid who tried to break into his house "was in an accident and died because his brakes failed". He commented on how horrible it was. I agreed with him and left it at that.

You don't get involved here, though.

And that's excluding things that have happened to me, like people having someone threaten to stab me (had that twice).

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

from HERE

Was the jury provided the opportunity to listen to this phone call?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The call wasn't taped. They clearly had the opportunity to hear the testimony as well as an evaluation of this testimony during closing arguments.

Yes, but, when you're a juror, responsible for evaluating evidence - testimony of a call is not one and the same with hearing that call for yourself or seeing the actions that took place unfold on video.

I wouldn't find witness testimony to be as reliable as more concrete evidence provided. I can understand from the perspective of a jury, why such testimony would no be enough "proof".

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

That's a fair question.

We don't have the phone call. We have a report on the phone call, and I honestly do not know what to make of it - particularly since I saw neither the testimony nor the cross. All I know is that the jury did not appear to see the testimony as sufficient to dispel reasonable doubt.

For what it's worth:
  • if I were on the jury, and
  • if I believed the testimony,
I would have likely argued for a manslaughter conviction.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

from HERE

Or she could have been making up the phone conversation. Or Martin could have been beginning his pursuit of Zimmerman at that point. He did have plenty of time to go home but didn't do that. There's no way to tell for sure.

Titanic

"(CBS) SANFORD, Fla. - Following nearly three weeks of testimony, a jury of six women in the George Zimmerman trial has found the former neighborhood watch volunteer not guilty of second-degree murder.

He was also found not guilty of the lesser offense of manslaughter, which the jury also weighed.

zimm108_244x183.jpg

The jury deliberated until late Saturday night after Zimmerman's defense wrapped up closing statements and the prosecution concluded rebuttal arguments Friday. Zimmerman, 29, was charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin during an altercation last year in a Sanford, Fla. gated community. Zimmerman pleaded not guilty, claiming he shot the teen in self-defense.

Speaking to Zimmerman after the verdict, Circuit Judge Debra Nelson said, "You have no further business with this court."

Zimmerman hugged family members following the verdict.
SOURCE

I bet those jurors will feek like ***t if George Zimmerman kills someone else in a few weeks.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I bet those jurors will feek like ***t if George Zimmerman kills someone else in a few weeks.
Why do you think this observation is intelligent, useful, or even relevant?

Is this the criteria you would use as a juror?
The state failed to prove their case, But, on the off chance that they might be right, I should find the defendant guilty. Otherwise, I could really end up feeling like ***t.
Is this your idea of responsible citizenship?

Titanic

Why do you think this observation is intelligent, useful, or even relevant?

Is this the criteria you would use as a juror?
The state failed to prove their case, But, on the off chance that they might be right, I should find the defendant guilty. Otherwise, I could really end up feeling like ***t.
Is this your idea of responsible citizenship?

No. I just wanted to add that in there. Would you not feel like S***?

Titanic

I would not, as a juror. You evaluate evidence provided for the case at hand.

I still think its bad a 17 year old got shot and killed. I guess they did evaluate it the way they felt was right. I do not know if I agree. I guess it does not matter though what we think.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This is a write up about some of the GF's testimony in cross examination .In it ,its stated that no one denies that Zimmerman was tailing Martin.

This is important, because no one denies Martin was fleeing at every turn, attempting to evade the person unknown to him, tailing him through the night for reasons that were not clear to the teen. [ibid]
Did you watch the trial?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I still think its bad a 17 year old got shot and killed. I guess they did evaluate it the way they felt was right. I do not know if I agree. I guess it does not matter though what we think.

You're not alone. I don't look at Zimmerman as an innocent man.

But, in terms of legally and fairly trying a case, prosecution has to present ample evidence so that a jury can confidently convict.

Titanic

You're not alone. I don't look at Zimmerman as an innocent man.

But, in terms of legally and fairly trying a case, prosecution has to present ample evidence so that a jury can confidently convict.

Yes. I look at this case kind of like the OJ Simpson case.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Assuming everything that led up to the fight had already happened and the physical fight had begun, what would any of you do in the same situation? A 6 ft+ 17 year old football player is mounted on top of you and hitting you in the head, and you have a gun. What would you do differently in that situation?