• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ghost rules.

logician

Since it is close to Halloween, one thing I always find interesting is the many rules for "ghosts" that people have invented over the ages. One of the "rules", as far as I can tell, is that ghosts won't appear if there are "skeptics" i.e. people that don't believe in ghosts, present. This to me seems illogical, as entity's actions wouldn't be based upon some perception about what a person believes, but would be independently based upon the entity's primary motivation, (whatever a suppsed ghost's would be). This belief seems more to stem from those wuold-be "ghosthunters" trying to keep skeptics from observing first hand what is really happening.

There a number of other "rules" that seem to be quite illogical also, any ideas what they might be?

Gloone

Since it is close to Halloween, one thing I always find interesting is the many rules for "ghosts" that people have invented over the ages. One of the "rules", as far as I can tell, is that ghosts won't appear if there are "skeptics" i.e. people that don't believe in ghosts, present. This to me seems illogical, as entity's actions wouldn't be based upon some perception about what a person believes, but would be independently based upon the entity's primary motivation, (whatever a suppsed ghost's would be). This belief seems more to stem from those wuold-be "ghosthunters" trying to keep skeptics from observing first hand what is really happening.

There a number of other "rules" that seem to be quite illogical also, any ideas what they might be?
Atheist don't believe in superstitious fairy tails! Why do you think Ghosts would exist? :rolleyes:

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
One of the "rules", as far as I can tell, is that ghosts won't appear if there are "skeptics" i.e. people that don't believe in ghosts, present.

That's funny, I have a friend who's into the paranormal and she's told me the opposite is true.

"If a team is investigating a haunted house and one of the members is a skeptic, the ghost will invariably target the skeptic."

You have to laugh at such silliness :D

Atheist don't believe in superstitious fairy tails! Why do you think Ghosts would exist? :rolleyes:

atheists don't believe in gods. we're free to believe in all other sorts of nonsense, provided none of them are gods.

and around halloween, we're pretty apt to believe in nonsense.

Atomist

I love you.
atheists don't believe in gods. we're free to believe in all other sorts of nonsense, provided none of them are gods.

Although... a lot of atheists are atheist because they're skeptical... still ghost believing astrologist atheist can non-trivially exist

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

You're not an atheist, you better worship ME as your goddess!!!!!!

jk,

it is fun to try to believe in stuff around Halloween. Too bad it stopped working when I aged past 8 or so. :(

You're not an atheist, you better worship ME as your goddess!!!!!!

jk,

it is fun to try to believe in stuff around Halloween. Too bad it stopped working when I aged past 8 or so. :(

my worship is always for sale, that's the good thing about being religiously unaffiliated. =)
keep in mind, though, that while i'm an atheist i also think like a misotheist. if you became my goddess i'd be forced to hate you (and i dont like that, you're nice).

and for the record, you are not the authority on halloween, i read what you had to say about the time honored tradition of tearing the slimy insides from a plump gourd and then sawing discernible patterns into it's "face". these are the sorts of irreverent disrespects that i take into consideration when determining who to worship.

Although... a lot of atheists are atheist because they're skeptical... still ghost believing astrologist atheist can non-trivially exist

skeptics are still skeptics and atheists are still atheists.
while squares remain rectangles, and rectangles remain only squares in certain cases.

i get the correlation, but it's all about the terms, bro.

Erebus

Huh, never heard of this rule before. But then I guess I don't watch things like "Most Haunted" and the like.

I don't know what "rules" a ghost would abide by or why it would follow them in the first place. Maybe it's like "Ghost Master", where a ghost has a certain number of powers, can only haunt a certain area, can only use it's powers when it's told to and has to pick on a specific mortal if the Ghostmaster wants it to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe5V6alQbhc

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Life after death?

Then we all will know for sure.
We each become spirits.

There does seem a great deal of restriction.
If interaction was common there would be no doubt for any of us.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
we're free to believe in all other sorts of nonsense, provided none of them are gods.
Who's in charge of atheist conformity? I wanna see the atheist police!

Smoke

Done here.

Halloween -- which my people call Gay Christmas -- isn't about beliefs; it's about the parties. :)

stlekee

Fool for Wisdom
Ghost Rule:

1. Ghosts cant be filmed or recorded in any manner. Therefore if its not in the photos, its a ghost for sure

2. Must appear as a white tranlucent sheet-like apparition, but not in any photos

3. Carries lengths of chains and rattles them, except in recordings.

4. Moaning and groaning noises, except in recordings.

5. Sleep during the day, like vampires.

6. Hate paparrazzi -no XXXX photos!!

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
What I think is interesting is the fact that if ghosts can be recorded or seen it means they're interacting with photons or matter (to make sound waves).

Supposed recordings for instance -- what if a researcher were to put a recorder in a lead case? It would cut out nearly ALL background noise.

Then they could invite the ghost to go through the box to leave a recording on the recording device without interference, and furthermore the recorded sounds couldn't be chalked up to white noise.

If the ghost can't, then why the hell couldn't it travel through lead unless it's a physical and therefore detectable entity?

Something tells me that recorders in lead boxes would be utterly silent even in the most haunted of graveyards ;)

gnomon

Is there a rule that states that a cop that pulls you over.......walking.......at about 2:30 or maybe 4:00 in the morning is a ghost?