• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gideons Christians

At school we got a New Testament, each. They were given to us for free by Gideons, which is a christian association, to pread the word of Christ.

That made me a little upset. The people at my school are thick. They know that. They exploting their stupidity to make them Christians.

Should they be allowed to do this, its like a missionary...

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Does the school force you to take them? I don't think a school is an appropriate place to be pushing your religion (it makes you look bad..), but I'd have more of an issue if the school said you were not allowed to say no and had to take one home.

I wonder how many ended up in the garbage...

Bishka

Veteran Member
At school we got a New Testament, each. They were given to us for free by Gideons, which is a christian association, to pread the word of Christ.

That made me a little upset. The people at my school are thick. They know that. They exploting their stupidity to make them Christians.

I've gotten them at my old university (and it was a private religious institution). Honestly, out of all the missionaries, the Gideons (in my opinion) are the tamest, they really do not bother me too much.

Does the school force you to take them? I don't think a school is an appropriate place to be pushing your religion (it makes you look bad..), but I'd have more of an issue if the school said you were not allowed to say no and had to take one home.

When that happened up here, most of the ended up at our local thrift store.

madhatter85

Transhumanist

If they were forcing people to convert or shoving things down thier throat then they shouldn't be allowed to.
spreading the word of god is not a bad thing, maybe at school I don't think it should be allowed, unless it was sunday school.

I keep an extra copy of a Book of Mormon in my backpack jsut in case i end up in a conversation abotu religion and someoen is interested in reading it, but i don't go around handing out copies to people i see everywhere.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Gideon has been providing bibles to hotel rooms and other places for tens of years.
My wife was presented with a nurses copy of the new Testament and psalms in 1958 when she started nurse training. It stayed by her bedside all her life.
You can hardly stop people giving gifts of Bibles if they want to.

Well we arent FORCED, but you should take them, otherwise you get hell from your teacher. Im not saying also that these kids are being converted, but just in general, its wrong. They need to do that in a community centre.

I've gotten them at my old university (and it was a private religious institution). Honestly, out of all the missionaries, the Gideons (in my opinion) are the tamest, they really do not bother me too much.

When that happened up here, most of the ended up at our local thrift store.

Oh its ok, but in year 7, (first year of high school), in a very dumb area, its like giving the bible to 5 year old and making them read it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I got one back in the day at my public school, and in retrospect, it bugged me a bit. Things may have changed now, but I think the Gideon Society got access that other religious groups couldn't have received.

FYI - certain atheists (though I don't know how many) have created a response to the Gideon Society: the Abimelech Society, named after Gideon's illegitimate son who worked to undo what Gideon had done.

Gideon has been providing bibles to hotel rooms and other places for tens of years.
My wife was presented with a nurses copy of the new Testament and psalms in 1958 when she started nurse training. It stayed by her bedside all her life.

A lot of people dont want it, a lot trample on it, if they care about the bible they wont give it to kids. They only disrepect it. I have taken care of mine. I haven't read it though, even though i should, i doubt i will.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Well we arent FORCED, but you should take them, otherwise you get hell from your teacher. Im not saying also that these kids are being converted, but just in general, its wrong. They need to do that in a community centre.
would you think the same thing though if there was a Hindi religious figure passing out Hindi literature?

would you think the same thing though if there was a Hindi religious figure passing out Hindi literature?

If there were hindu figures, which is almost impossible, i would still think the whole idea is wrong, but as a hindu, i must honestly say, it would make me feel a little good.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

Would you object to someone standing outside your childs classroom offerring them copies of the Satanic Bible, or Teen Witch?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In India, maybe.

In North America or Europe, the establishment is not Hindu. This creates different implications for similar actions.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
whenever people give me a bible i give them a book of mormon, so many times do i see them turn around to leave as soon as i bring it out.

A couple JWs came to our door one time when i was 10, and they asked if i wanted to hear thier message and i sai d"Hold on a second" ran over to the bookcase grabbed a book of momon, and handed it to them, they didn't say a word or took the book, they walked away and never came back.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Would you object to someone standing outside your childs classroom offerring them copies of the Satanic Bible, or Teen Witch?

Funny enough, I would be excited. :p Give all religious equal time or none at all in the public school system.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Funny enough, I would be excited. :p Give all religious equal time or none at all in the public school system.

I agree, but personally I think it's inappropriate to be handing out religious materials to kids anyway, especially on government property. To me, it's closest cousin is the creepy guy in the van who stops kids and asks them "Hey kid, you want to see a cute puppy?".