• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gideons Christians

storm2020

Most of us brits are christian, .

Actually most are christian in the sense that they tick that box on the census and that is the most christian thing they do every 5 years.

And harry potter is valid in schools as education in that it's not only a much loved childrens book but its actually got kids off their computer games and back into reading. I thik it'l do a lot more for children than the bible ever will.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
They are putting the scriptures out. Besides that, no one can convert someone else. I could tell someone about Jesus until I passed out and they still would or could not convert unless they wanted to.
My last word on this: If you don't want the Bibles, just say "no, thank you" and move on. No one can force you take one if you don't want to. If they do force you to take one, just put them away from you afterwards. You don't have to read them, either.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Some Christians actually like Harry Potter and see it as a fairy tale similar to The Wizard of Oz (that book had witches and some of them good, like Glinda)

Nanda

Polyanna
They are putting the scriptures out. Besides that, no one can convert someone else. I could tell someone about Jesus until I passed out and they still would or could not convert unless they wanted to.
My last word on this: If you don't want the Bibles, just say "no, thank you" and move on. No one can force you take one if you don't want to. If they do force you to take one, just put them away from you afterwards. You don't have to read them, either.

I don't think it's appropriate to hand them out in school.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So... despite the fact that the Gideons themselves state everything they do is intended "to win men, women, boys and girls to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ", you don't think they're trying to convert people? Whether or not you think their methods are effective, I think their intent is clear.

Saying "no, thank you" to is a very big deal for a child to say to someone when the child's teacher is standing next to him, and he's been introduced to the class by the principal. It kinda goes against the "teachers = authority" thing that most schools try to instil.

storm2020

ChristeneES So you would have no qualms with your child being handed satanic scriptures by the school and coming home and reading them?

The point is why do they have to be handed out at school to children? Why not hand them out in churches to people who hve come specifically for that?

"Besides that, no one can convert someone else" but thats like saying advertising doesn't work. Why would religions spend so much time, money and effort trying to convert people if it couldn't be done. Cults can convert people to such an extent that they leave their families for them or even commit suicide.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Like I said, you don't have to read it. No one can force anyone to read the bible, unless you are in some kind of Bible class. And I doubt that is forced except in a Church school. I don't think people of other religions or atheists would send their child to a Church school. I may be mistaken, however...

;)

Nanda

Polyanna
Like I said, you don't have to read it. No one can force anyone to read the bible, unless you are in some kind of Bible class. And I doubt that is forced except in a Church school. I don't think people of other religions or atheists would send their child to a Church school. I may be mistaken, however...

;)

You're absolutely right, I wouldn't send my child to a religious school. Which is why religious followers shouldn't be handing out their holy books at a public school.

storm2020

I don't think people of other religions or atheists would send their child to a Church school. I may be mistaken, however...

;)

What if it's your nearest or best school. And should any school mix religion? Isn't a schools purpose to give a child a good education. Most children don't even walk out with that but at least they get a new testament right?

storm2020

They are a funny pair of guys, the scientology episode was great...

OMG not to get off topic but the michael (Jackson) johnson episode! :bow: They should hand those episodes out at school. Much more educational about the society they are about to step into.

its funny, but i like that pair, they are honest and say what they want about society, not like some people who jsut say what they want to make others happy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Besides that, no one can convert someone else" but thats like saying advertising doesn't work. Why would religions spend so much time, money and effort trying to convert people if it couldn't be done. Cults can convert people to such an extent that they leave their families for them or even commit suicide.
The Gideon Bible I received when I was little actually has a page that describes how to accept Jesus and "become a Christian". It was presented to me in a very similar manner to the "Be Safe Around Electricity" materials that I got in (IIRC) the same year.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
ChristeneES So you would have no qualms with your child being handed satanic scriptures by the school and coming home and reading them?

The point is why do they have to be handed out at school to children? Why not hand them out in churches to people who hve come specifically for that?

While I think it is inappropriate to hand out bibles at school, I think you guys are overreacting to it. If you see your child with a bible when they come home, just take it away from them. I would do the same if my child came home with Satanic verses. I am hoping that my children would have benefited from my teaching and( yours too, no matter what it is.) Children aren't as gullible as we think they are and their parents have the most influence on them (Usually, anyway)
On top of that, even if they do read it, it does not mean they will suddenly become Christians. Not even Children who go to Church on Sundays every week all become Christians.

Advertising does not make me want to buy anything at all. It never has. If I don't want something, then no one can talk me into taking it or believing in it, no matter what they say(I have been called stubborn, :D) Sure they are trying to get people to buy things, but no one has to buy those things.