• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gideons Christians

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Harry Potter isn't a religious text, though.

You would think so, to see the numbers of Christians that object to it.

Is the majority population in the UK Christian? If so, it seems a bit redundant to be giving out Bibles anyway

I would say they are not... Not in anyway as practising Christians.
Church attendance is minimal, weddings and christenings have been dwindling for many years...Churches are closing. The same is true in most of Europe. There is no real difference for Protestant or Catholic Churches.

There is more scope for Missionaries in the UK than almost anywhere.

Nanda

Polyanna
While I think it is inappropriate to hand out bibles at school, I think you guys are overreacting to it.

I don't think being annoyed is an overreaction (and I certainly don't think it warrants being called intolerant, but that has nothing to do with you).

Advertising does not make me want to buy anything at all. It never has.

I have a really hard time believing that, too. If for no other reason than a lot of it is subconcious.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Does the school force you to take them? I don't think a school is an appropriate place to be pushing your religion (it makes you look bad..), but I'd have more of an issue if the school said you were not allowed to say no and had to take one home.

I wonder how many ended up in the garbage...
That's kinda how I see it. I'd personally wouldn't mind being given any text of any religion.

storm2020

While I think it is inappropriate to hand out bibles at school, I think you guys are overreacting to it. If you see your child with a bible when they come home, just take it away from them.

BUt i shouldn't have to. I send my child out to get an education. Give em a history book instead. And i probably am over reacting because other peoples beliefs are thrust upon me from every direction. I got jehovas at my door, christian news through my door, preachers on the street, I have to swear on the bible in court, a bible in my hotel room. Just show me sumone elses religious text for a change!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Quote:
Advertising does not make me want to buy anything at all. It never has.
I have a really hard time believing that, too. If for no other reason than a lot of it is subconcious.
I don't know, it may have. Let's just say I am unaware of ever buying anything because of a commercial. I usually don't pay attention to them. I find commercials incredibly annoying (probably as annoying as you find the gideons, LOL).
(Nanda, I have never seen you as intolerant. I think that statement may have been tongue-in-cheek, but I don't know that either)

Overreacting Christine, i think not. Parents work hard to teach their kids their religion, then some missionary in disguise destroys all your hard work.

Booko

Deviled Hen
At school we got a New Testament, each. They were given to us for free by Gideons, which is a christian association, to pread the word of Christ.

The Gideons don't make you take them, do they?

They certainly don't here.

We have a saying here in America: It's a free country.

They can offer you one and you can say no.

Should they be allowed to do this, its like a missionary...

Yeah, it's called "freedom of religion."

I got one of my copies of the Bhagavad-Gita from my brother, who had it practically shoved on him by the Hari Krishnas as a "gift"...and then they demanded money. My brother sweetly replied that is ungracious to demand money in exchange for a "gift" and when he got home gave me the book.

The Gideons I've seen are nowhere near heavy handed, and they don't ask you to pay for your "free" Bible.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I got one back in the day at my public school, and in retrospect, it bugged me a bit. Things may have changed now, but I think the Gideon Society got access that other religious groups couldn't have received.

One day a year an elderly gent from the Gideons passes Bibles out near our local high school.

I say "near" because he stands on the public sidewalk. He is not allowed to distribute Bibles while on school property. But the public sidewalk, he can do what he likes.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Would you object to someone standing outside your childs classroom offerring them copies of the Satanic Bible, or Teen Witch?

I'd be delighted if they did. My copy of Satanic Bible is kind of disintegrating last time I saw it, and I think when we shifted some stuff around a few months ago it ended up in one of the boxes downstairs.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Christianity has always found a subtle way to convert, its genius really, but wrong.

You might want to actually read that Bible you got, Penguino. Read the Gospels and find the part where Jesus commands His followers to spread the Gospel.

They're being obedient to their religion.

You may argue about some methods being over the top, but to complain about Christians finding any *polite* way to be obedient to the commands of their religion is on a par with non-Hindus telling Hindus to practice their religion with no reference to murtis.

Booko

Deviled Hen
BUt i shouldn't have to. I send my child out to get an education. Give em a history book instead. And i probably am over reacting because other peoples beliefs are thrust upon me from every direction. I got jehovas at my door, christian news through my door, preachers on the street, I have to swear on the bible in court, a bible in my hotel room. Just show me sumone elses religious text for a change!

What Bible do you have to swear on in court? Hon, even in Georgia you don't swear on a Bible in court. That's just Hollywood.

storm2020

What Bible do you have to swear on in court? Hon, even in Georgia you don't swear on a Bible in court. That's just Hollywood.

A lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union and a Muslim woman over the use of the Koran and other non-Christian texts for [North Carolina] state courtroom oaths should be allowed to go forward, the state Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday.
from Fox News

'fraid it's not hollywood.