• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gideons Christians

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Those Gideons are at it again! They're in every hotel room too. Schools are for education, a world map would have been more appropriate and thought provoking.

Or how abotu a copy of Tetris

Or that video game that came ut a coupel years ago "The Bible Game" it's like Mario Party except it's all about christianity.

Rolling_Stone

At school we got a New Testament, each. They were given to us for free by Gideons, which is a christian association, to pread the word of Christ.

That made me a little upset. The people at my school are thick. They know that. They exploting their stupidity to make them Christians.

Should they be allowed to do this, its like a missionary...
:eek: And you call yourself Hindu?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Just because someone gives you the books, doesn't mean you have to read them. I have been given literature from other religions, and it never bothered me at all. And I certainly did not convert, even if I did peruse it.

How is that not tolerant? Just because she disagrees with you that does not mean she is intolernat.

Yes i do call myself a hindu, your point is?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Would you object to someone standing outside your childs classroom offerring them copies of the Satanic Bible, or Teen Witch?

As my children and grand children go to or went to church schools, I would be very surprised.
I would have no objection... one of the schools gave copies of Harry potter as prizes, no one objected.
It is not the sort of thing that worries most people in the UK. Schools are not off limits to religion.... In fact daily worship is compulsory...( some school seem to ignore it though)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
As my children and grand children go to or went to church schools, I would be very surprised.
I would have no objection... one of the schools gave copies of Harry potter as prizes, no one objected.
It is not the sort of thing that worries most people in the UK. Schools are not off limits to religion.... In fact daily worship is compulsory...( some school seem to ignore it though)

Harry Potter isn't a religious text, though.

Is the majority population in the UK Christian? If so, it seems a bit redundant to be giving out Bibles anyway

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe because they realize that, despite what some people believe, Harry Potter books are not intended to convert a child from one religion to another.

Harry Potter isn't a religious text, though.

Is the majority population in the UK Christian? If so, it seems a bit redundant to be giving out Bibles anyway

Most of us brits are christian, a lot are atheist, most dont even know what religon they belong to. Gideons are trying to cover the atheist gap.