• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and slavery?

Jehonadab

So at first God was imperfect and had made a mistake?

Slavery during bible times was often because a person could not afford to support himself and they sold themselves into slavery. Or becasue they were captured during a year. Whatever the case 1 John 5:19 tells us who is control of this world, God is allowing everything we see around us to happen to demonstrate to us all that we cannot live without following His direction.

kai

ragamuffin
I disagree. Jesus never advocated slavery.

in a way i agree with Jeremy here sometimes people are not the best representatives of their own religions,

and if you are going blame god for slavery then theres not really anything to debate is there?

your honour the defendant has not appeared in court this morning.

BruceDLimber

So at first God was imperfect and had made a mistake?

Clearly not! The more so given that there's only one God in the first place, Who is perfect beyond measure!

Any limitations have to do with us, not with God!

And like it or not, Divine Revelation is progressive, and we're only given what we're ready for in each Age! For reasons I don't pretend to understand slavery was permitted in times past, but now humanity (and human civilization) have progressed to the point that it's no longer allowable.

We don't presume to second-guess God, and I trust you don't, either!

As various scriptures point out, "He doeth what He willeth, and none has the right to question Him."

That said, we're also totally sure of His Goodness and Beneficence, and trust Him both explicitly and implicitly!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Arlanbb

FATHER HEATHEN ~ Your close to the truth on your statement. The whole big problem is that Humans wrote the bible and these are human thoughts about God so that is why they keep changing depending on who is writing about what he thinks God is or does or can do. If anyone thinks these ideas about God are really Gods thoughts etc. I have a bridge to sell them. arlan

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
FATHER HEATHEN ~ Your close to the truth on your statement. The whole big problem is that Humans wrote the bible and these are human thoughts about God so that is why they keep changing depending on who is writing about what he thinks God is or does or can do. If anyone thinks these ideas about God are really Gods thoughts etc. I have a bridge to sell them. arlan
OK Arlan where is the darned bridge? :D

Jeremy Mason

There are plenty of things that Jesus never advocated (or that He specifically condemned, in some cases) that have managed to form large parts of Christian religion and teaching.

While you may define a religion by the peoples actions, scholars define a religion by it's scripture. I choose Scripture.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
While you may define a religion by the peoples actions, scholars define a religion by it's scripture. I choose Scripture.
Really? I thought that scholars defined a religion by shared belief. Some religions don't even have scripture.

BTW - the doctrine of Sola Scriptura (i.e. the idea that Christian Scripture is the only valid source of doctrine), which you seem to be implying, is one such tidbit that Jesus never advocated and can't actually be found in Scripture... and I'm not sure which "scholars" would deny the role of Holy Tradition in the Catholic Church, for example, which seems to be one implication of defining a religion by its scripture.

As I said, I think it's shared religious belief that defines a religion; actions are expressions of a person's beliefs, and shared actions are an indication of shared beliefs in keeping with those actions.

Rolling_Stone

Really? I thought that scholars defined a religion by shared belief. Some religions don't even have scripture.

BTW - the doctrine of Sola Scriptura (i.e. the idea that Christian Scripture is the only valid source of doctrine), which you seem to be implying, is one such tidbit that Jesus never advocated and can't actually be found in Scripture... and I'm not sure which "scholars" would deny the role of Holy Tradition in the Catholic Church, for example, which seems to be one implication of defining a religion by its scripture.

As I said, I think it's shared religious belief that defines a religion; actions are expressions of a person's beliefs, and shared actions are an indication of shared beliefs in keeping with those actions.
You're both wrong. Religion is about man's relation to God. The rest is just the shell around it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're both wrong. Religion is about man's relation to God. The rest is just the shell around it.

Your definition has a fair number of assumptions in it. It excludes those religions that have multiple gods or no gods at all, as well as those that assume an impersonal Creator or one who just isn't interested in a relationship with humans.

Rolling_Stone

Your definition has a fair number of assumptions in it. It excludes those religions that have multiple gods or no gods at all, as well as those that assume an impersonal Creator or one who just isn't interested in a relationship with humans.
It doesn't exclude those at all. The things you mention are all shells.

Jeremy Mason

BTW - the doctrine of Sola Scriptura (i.e. the idea that Christian Scripture is the only valid source of doctrine), which you seem to be implying, is one such tidbit that Jesus never advocated and can't actually be found in Scripture...

Then why did Jesus use Scripture? Where did Jesus say these things?

Hitler thought he was a Christian.

and I'm not sure which "scholars" would deny the role of Holy Tradition in the Catholic Church, for example, which seems to be one implication of defining a religion by its scripture.

Protestant Reformation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Then why did Jesus use Scripture? Where did Jesus say these things?
There's a difference between scripture informing religion and scripture defining religion.

Hitler thought he was a Christian.
And?

Ah... so when you say "religion", you really mean "Protestant Christianity"? If so, then I suppose you were correct... though I question your choice of terms.

Jeremy Mason

There's a difference between scripture informing religion and scripture defining religion.

Definitions are information and in this case the definition would be stipulative.

Definition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:rolleyes: I'm, for you sake, am going to give you a few moment to contemplate the difference between the two.

Ah... so when you say "religion", you really mean "Protestant Christianity"? If so, then I suppose you were correct... though I question your choice of terms.
Fair enough.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Definitions are information and in this case the definition would be stipulative.

Definition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ah. Usually, if you're going to define a term outside its normal usage, it's helpful to let others know first. ;)

:rolleyes: I'm, for you sake, am going to give you a few moment to contemplate the difference between the two.
Hitler was baptized and claimed to have faith in God and Christ. While I'm sure that many (hopefully all) Christians recognize him as despicable, I'm also sure that many would say that one or both of these facts do make him a Christian.

Fair enough.
So your description of "religion" doesn't actually hold for religion in general?