• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God can not be disproven by science

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

And did you made the comment that there is no evidence for it?

Here is a definition of referent: the thing in the world that a word or phrase denotes or stands for.

Now if I were to claim God exists, you would demand evidence for the referent of the word God.
I do the same for best as you used it. Now give the evidence for the referent to the word best being objective as independent of the self and in the objective world.
It is the same standard that you demand of other humans that I demand of you.

AppieB

Here is a definition of referent: the thing in the world that a word or phrase denotes or stands for.

Now if I were to claim God exists, you would demand evidence for the referent of the word God.
I do the same for best as you used it. Now give the evidence for the referent to the word best being objective as independent of the self and in the objective world.
It is the same standard that you demand of other humans that I demand of you.
You're evading the questions:

So why do you believe it?
And why did you made the comment that there is no evidence for it?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Works in what way? How do you know it works in that way?

I am looking at it right now. I get answers back from you.
As for works in the end, that is philosophy for one theory of truth.

BTW what is your objective evidence for best? Just do that and it is over as you have refuted my claim that best is subjective. I do notice that you are trying to play on my part of the playing field.

AppieB

I am looking at it right now. I get answers back from you.
Wow! One could almost consider this to be ... evidence.

As for works in the end, that is philosophy for one theory of truth.
Wow! One could almost consider this to be a reliable method to gain knowledge about the objective reality, the world external to the self.
BTW what is your objective evidence for best? Just do that and it is over as you have refuted my claim that best is subjective. I do notice that you are trying to play on my part of the playing field.
Getting this answer back.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Wow! One could almost consider this to be ... evidence.

Wow! One could almost consider this to be a reliable method to gain knowledge about the objective reality, the world external to the self.

Getting this answer back.

You tell me the objective as objective evidence for best!!!

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What is the difference between "evidence" and "objective evidence"?

Well, logic or math is not objective as natural science is objective.

You can understand that if you compare these to different versions of objective:
-expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations
-of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers

So your use of science that is related to the second one and not just the first one.
Further if I say I like philosophy you could accept that as evidence that I like philosophy, but it wouldn't be objective or independent of the self.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You tell me the objective as objective evidence for best!!!

Objective meaning to limited as much personal bias as possible.
However that is still going to be subjective from the POV of being human.

Perhaps you are using a special definition for "objective"?

AppieB

You can understand that if you compare these to different versions of objective:
-expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations
-of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers

So your use of science that is related to the second one and not just the first one.
Further if I say I like philosophy you could accept that as evidence that I like philosophy, but it wouldn't be objective or independent of the self.
But there is still evidence that science works (as you stated yourself) and that you believe that it is the best method of inquiry for the objective reality, the world external to the self.

anotherneil

Ok, that's a good place to start; it is important to define or know the definitions of the words involved, cite their definitions, etc. Please continue with proving that it's whataboutism - I'm eager to see what you've got.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

independent of the self

IOW, someone other than yourself is able to reach the same conclusion. That's the basis of science.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
independent of the self

IOW, someone other than yourself is able to reach the same conclusion. That's the basis of science.

Yes and methodological naturalism of course. And whether version of science you actually believe in, as there are several and not just one.