• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God, Free-will, and the knowledge of God - Is his knowledge causation?

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
To me, it is just another way in which believers anthropomorphize their God--treating him as some kind of human monarch from whom they can gain favor by acts of obeisance..
If that is how you wish to see it.. I don't.

I see that gravity acts downwards, and acknowledge the fact.
Whether 'a god' is doing it or otherwise, the result is the same.

..so a person who makes light of what Scripture teaches us (such as about adultery and usury),
is like a person who ignores red traffic-lights, and eventually gets clobbered.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
If that is how you wish to see it.. I don't.

I see that gravity acts downwards, and acknowledge the fact.
Whether 'a god' is doing it or otherwise, the result is the same.

..so a person who makes light of what Scripture teaches us (such as about adultery and usury),
is like a person who ignores red traffic-lights, and eventually gets clobbered.

Regarding gravity, I agree. I just see no good reason to assume that a deity or other intelligent agent contributed anything interesting or useful to the description of gravitational forces. As for traffic lights, I can understand why a civil society would have them as a means of regulating traffic in a safe manner. Laws against usury also have practical value.

Regulating relations between spouses is another matter. Following scripture is a matter of personal choice, but so is the decision not to follow it. Sometimes marriages fail, and I would not want to live in a society where the government tried to make decisions for people on the basis of what some ancient writers felt was appropriate behavior in the context of the society they lived in. The laws we live by need to reflect modern conditions that those ancients were completely ignorant of.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
The laws we live by need to reflect modern conditions that those ancients were completely ignorant of.
Yes, and no.

Yes, we need to constantly revise laws and make new ones to "reflect modern conditions"
..and no, we don't need to have men marrying men, and women marrying women.

Copernicus

Yes, and no.

Yes, we need to constantly revise laws and make new ones to "reflect modern conditions"
..and no, we don't need to have men marrying men, and women marrying women.
Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. If some people choose to enter same-sex marriages, that is absolutely their business, not yours. They pose no danger to you or anyone else. You should have the right to make your own personal choice in that regard.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. If some people choose to enter same-sex marriages, that is absolutely their business, not yours..
Uhh .. that's not true .. if it was only their business, and not that of the community, why get married?

Marriage is a community institution, and has since time begun been that of between a man and a women,
providing a stable relationship for any offspring.

What people get up to privately is not society's business .. unless they are breaking criminal law.
eg. underage sexual predator and rape etc.

Copernicus

Uhh .. that's not true .. if it was only their business, and not that of the community, why get married?

Marriage is a community institution, and has since time begun been that of between a man and a women, providing a stable relationship for any offspring.

What people get up to privately is not society's business .. unless they are breaking criminal law.

This subject takes us completely off-topic, so I am loathe to pursue it here. I agree with your point about marriage being a community institution, although I would prefer to call it a civil contract. I also agree that one function of marriage is to guarantee a stable relationship for offspring, although that is not its only function. I disagree with your narrow heterosexual perspective on marriage and that governments should try to ground their legal codes in some religious doctrine rather than arguable civic need.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

God, Free-will, and the knowledge of God - Is his knowledge causation?

The truth is not in the extremes, I understand, it is in the Norms, please, right?
The truth is in between, in the moderate/normal views, right?
And the normal view is that G-d has given us a choice; and that is we are accountable for it to G-d, right, please?:
90:11
And We have pointed out to him the two highways of good and evil.

Right?

Regards
90:11
وَہَدَیۡنٰہُ النَّجۡدَیۡنِ ﴿ۚ۱۱

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist

Marriage is a community institution, and has since time begun been that of between a man and a women,

I'm not entirely for certificates, or priests, or a justice of the peace being required to validate a union. This happens between two people, but for insurance purposes, etc. I can see why so many pursue this route. Family oriented people and unions are a social construct, which I am in favor of. I view them to be beneficial for all involved, if granted enough ability to provide and meet the demands of raising a family. I'm still working on me, for example. I won't marry (again) until I'm able to be more supportive. I may not ever again in this lifetime, but I do make effort to become the type able to meet the demands of marriage and raising a family. I'll stay clear of homosexual union debates. That's not my territory to discuss or debate. Why get married? I'll suggest it's an act of devotion towards your chosen help mate and to make it known that both parties in the union are off limits to others. Married people are less appealing to people like me. I'm single. It's nice to know before being required to swallow a shotgun. HaHa

Ha

Ha

Ha

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

It's up to each one of us to decide who they will follow and obey regarding moral issues. A reason why political issues can be misleading and divisive. God will decide when the day of judgment comes. As Joshua declared, he and his household will serve Jehovah. Joshua 24:14,15.