• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God hardens hearts?

Could someone explain this passage to me? It appears harsh to me. Perhaps the context of what is going on would be helpful. Thanks!

And I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians so that they shall go in after them, and I will get glory over Pharaoh and all his host, his chariots, and his horsemen. (Exodus 14:17)

idav

Being
Premium Member
It was so god could prove himself to his own people which would be why they were enslaved in the first place.

Exodus 10
1 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his officials so that I may perform these signs of mine among them 2 that you may tell your children and grandchildren how I dealt harshly with the Egyptians and how I performed my signs among them, and that you may know that I am the LORD.”

Levite

Higher and Higher
Could someone explain this passage to me? It appears harsh to me. Perhaps the context of what is going on would be helpful. Thanks!

And I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians so that they shall go in after them, and I will get glory over Pharaoh and all his host, his chariots, and his horsemen. (Exodus 14:17)

This phrase is a motif through the Exodus narrative. The most satisfactory answer I have heard is that this means that God lent strength to the free will of the Egyptians. Had He not done this, they would have given in from the sheer terror of the plagues, and not because they chose freely to do so. This, therefore, is God's way of ensuring that His dramatic intervention into the world does not deprive any human being of their free will.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me

There is no doubt in my mind that God can put thoughts in our minds and alter our emotions and will (heart).

Muffled

Jesus in me
This phrase is a motif through the Exodus narrative. The most satisfactory answer I have heard is that this means that God lent strength to the free will of the Egyptians. Had He not done this, they would have given in from the sheer terror of the plagues, and not because they chose freely to do so. This, therefore, is God's way of ensuring that His dramatic intervention into the world does not deprive any human being of their free will.

No doubt the Pharaoh was obstinate enough without help but that does not mean that God is unlikely to subvert a person's will. What comes to mind is King Saul who acted differently while under the influence of the Holy Spirit. No doubt that works for me when I get a little willful and need a push.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

exodus 4:21 may shed some light on the meaning of this verse.

And Jehovah went on to say to Moses: “After you have gone and returned to Egypt see that YOU men actually perform all the miracles that I have put in your hand before Phar′aoh. As for me, I shall let his heart become obstinate (hard); and he will not send the people away.

God could have controlled Pharaoh and forced him to let the people go, but he 'allowed' Pharaoh to act of his own accord....and Pharoah was not a very nice man, he was keeping the people in slavery, he killed their young...so he was already showing that he was a hard man...God could foresee how Pharaoh would react to the request and in this way he was saying of himself 'i shall make his heart hard' in that God did not change his heart to comply.

james2ko

I'm with Muffled on this one. I would tend to think God, in his infinte wisdom, had at least some influence in Pharaoh's decision making process:

Rom 9:17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I HAVE RAISED YOU UP, THAT I MAY SHOW MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MAY BE DECLARED IN ALL THE EARTH."
Rom 9:18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I'm with Muffled on this one. I would tend to think God, in his infinte wisdom, had at least some influence in Pharaoh's decision making process:

Rom 9:17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I HAVE RAISED YOU UP, THAT I MAY SHOW MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MAY BE DECLARED IN ALL THE EARTH."

but if that were true, then it means he takes away free choice... and i really dont think he does that.

james2ko

but if that were true, then it means he takes away free choice...

That's what the passage is claiming He has the right to do, notice:

Rom 9:16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.

There are other passages that state He intervenes with our right to choose:

Rom 11:7-10 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. 8 Just as it is written: "GOD HAS GIVEN THEM A SPIRIT OF STUPOR, EYES THAT THEY SHOULD NOT SEE AND EARS THAT THEY SHOULD NOT HEAR, TO THIS VERY DAY." 9 And David says: "LET THEIR TABLE BECOME A SNARE AND A TRAP, A STUMBLING BLOCK AND A RECOMPENSE TO THEM. 10 LET THEIR EYES BE DARKENED, SO THAT THEY DO NOT SEE, AND BOW DOWN THEIR BACK ALWAYS."

Mat 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.

Mat 11:27 "My Father has entrusted everything to Me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him."

Mat 13:11-16 He answered and said to them, "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says: 'HEARING YOU WILL HEAR AND SHALL NOT UNDERSTAND, AND SEEING YOU WILL SEE AND NOT PERCEIVE; 15 FOR THE HEARTS OF THIS PEOPLE HAVE GROWN DULL. THEIR EARS ARE HARD OF HEARING, AND THEIR EYES THEY HAVE CLOSED, LEST THEY SHOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES AND HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, LEST THEY SHOULD UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEARTS AND TURN, SO THAT I SHOULD HEAL THEM.' 16 But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear;

Mar 4:10-12 But when He was alone, those around Him with the twelve asked Him about the parable. 11 And He said to them, "To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who are outside, all things come in parables, 12 so that 'SEEING THEY MAY SEE AND NOT PERCEIVE, AND HEARING THEY MAY HEAR AND NOT UNDERSTAND; LEST THEY SHOULD TURN, AND THEIR SINS BE FORGIVEN THEM.' "

Joh 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

2Co 4:3-4 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

Rom 11:32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.​

This is why we believe He is not attempting to "save" the world in this current age. Pharaoh and the "rest of the dead" who were blinded in this age, will get their shot at salvation in the 2nd resurrection, at the end of the millenium (Eze 37:1-14; Rev 20:5,11-12) which would would only be fair, right?

and i really dont think he does that.

A gentle reminder: Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; Will you trust the word of Jehovah God or lean on what you have been traditionally taught?

Last edited:

james2ko

That Scripture has nothing to do with intervening of free will.

Read the chapter for the correct context. God plainly states He is at liberty to harden someone's heart or show them mercy to fulfill His divine will--- who are we to question Him (Rom 9:20)? This is clearly a suspension of the power to choose. He uses Pharaoh as an example (vs 17-18). The rest of the supporting verses posted make it even more plain.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
That's what the passage is claiming He has the right to do, notice:
Rom 9:16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.
There are other passages that state He intervenes with our right to choose:
Rom 11:7-10 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. 8 Just as it is written: "GOD HAS GIVEN THEM A SPIRIT OF STUPOR, EYES THAT THEY SHOULD NOT SEE AND EARS THAT THEY SHOULD NOT HEAR, TO THIS VERY DAY." 9 And David says: "LET THEIR TABLE BECOME A SNARE AND A TRAP, A STUMBLING BLOCK AND A RECOMPENSE TO THEM. 10 LET THEIR EYES BE DARKENED, SO THAT THEY DO NOT SEE, AND BOW DOWN THEIR BACK ALWAYS."

Mat 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.

Mat 11:27 "My Father has entrusted everything to Me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him."

Mat 13:11-16 He answered and said to them, "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says: 'HEARING YOU WILL HEAR AND SHALL NOT UNDERSTAND, AND SEEING YOU WILL SEE AND NOT PERCEIVE; 15 FOR THE HEARTS OF THIS PEOPLE HAVE GROWN DULL. THEIR EARS ARE HARD OF HEARING, AND THEIR EYES THEY HAVE CLOSED, LEST THEY SHOULD SEE WITH THEIR EYES AND HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, LEST THEY SHOULD UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEARTS AND TURN, SO THAT I SHOULD HEAL THEM.' 16 But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear;

Mar 4:10-12 But when He was alone, those around Him with the twelve asked Him about the parable. 11 And He said to them, "To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who are outside, all things come in parables, 12 so that 'SEEING THEY MAY SEE AND NOT PERCEIVE, AND HEARING THEY MAY HEAR AND NOT UNDERSTAND; LEST THEY SHOULD TURN, AND THEIR SINS BE FORGIVEN THEM.' "

Joh 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

2Co 4:3-4 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

Rom 11:32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.​

You have to ask yourself, for what purpose would God want people to remain disobedient to him? The truth is that he wants to save all mankind, so there must be some other reason why he does not 'draw them'...or as Paul says, 'God gives them a spirit of stupor'

There is a question that need to be answered before a conclusion is made as to whether God is deliberately withholding some.

The question is , Why are some drawn and shown the light, while others are kept in darkness?
And Jesus gave a clear answer on this question. About the religious leaders and teachers of his days, he said this:
Matthew 13:14 and toward them the prophecy of Isaiah is having fulfillment, which says, ‘By hearing, YOU will hear but by no means get the sense of it; and, looking, YOU will look but by no means see. 15 For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive, and with their ears they have heard without response, and they have shut their eyes; that they might never see with their eyes and hear with their ears and get the sense of it with their hearts and turn back, and I heal them.

So it is not becauase God deliberately prevents a person from seeing and understanding....it is because some people are 'unreceptive' to Gods word. They prefer their own understanding and will not allow themselves to be corrected. When Jesus taught those religious leaders, they didnt all respond positively...rather they gnashed their teeth at him. How can God draw people who dont allow their heart to be moved by the truth of Gods word? They are hard hearted toward God so he allows them to remain in their spiritually dark state.

that is really what the above scriptures are telling us. Except for 2Corinthians4...that 'god of this system' is actually Satan the devil, not Almighty God.

james2ko

You have to ask yourself, for what purpose would God want people to remain disobedient to him?

There could be several plausible reasons:

1A. As an act of mercy: God feels if He opens their eyes to the truth in this satan influenced, corrupt and evil world, the person will not be strong enough to endure until the end (Matt 24:13) and possibly lose their salvation:

Heb 10:26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Heb 6:4-6 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.​

They will be much more receptive at the end of the millennium in the 2nd resurrection, after 1,000 years of living God's way and seeing the miraculous contrast between the earth they once knew and the one then. Satan will be out of the picture. The veil of deception lifted and their minds will be opened to the truth for the first time (Isa 25:7). Christ and the Saints will be there to greet them. To ease their fears and pinch them to convince them they are not dreaming. :)

B. Another plausible reason for God to deliberately blinding the majority of mankind is the simple fact there are only a finite number of leadership positions available during the millennium. He calls the church His "little flock" (luk 12:32). He also hints toward a small number in (Matt 22:14).Jud 1:14 alludes to a relatively small finite number (10,000). But other passages seem to indicate there could be more. The point is there is a relatively small, fixed number of leadership positions available in the kingdom. He cannot possibly call everyone now.

The truth is that he wants to save all mankind,

2. And I believe He does. Just not all in this age. Consider Christ's words: "For many are called, but few are chosen." (Mt 22:14). If God was trying to save the world in this age, shouldn't He have said, "For all are called, and many are chosen"?? After all, if He's trying to save them all, shouldn't He at least call them all? Also consider Mat 11:25: "At that time Jesus answered and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes." If He was trying to save mankind now, why is He thanking the Father for "hiding" the truth to the wise and prudent of this age!! Could it be for the reason in point 1a??

so there must be some other reason why he does not 'draw them'...or as Paul says, 'God gives them a spirit of stupor' There is a question that need to be answered before a conclusion is made as to whether God is deliberately withholding some. The question is , Why are some drawn and shown the light, while others are kept in darkness?

3, Ask yourself this question while reading the list of verses in post nine.

And Jesus gave a clear answer on this question. About the religious leaders and teachers of his days, he said this:
Matthew 13:14 and toward them the prophecy of Isaiah is having fulfillment, which says, ‘By hearing, YOU will hear but by no means get the sense of it; and, looking, YOU will look but by no means see. 15 For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive, and with their ears they have heard without response, and they have shut their eyes; that they might never see with their eyes and hear with their ears and get the sense of it with their hearts and turn back, and I heal them.

4. Notice the last part of vs 15. Christ states the reason why their eyes and ears are shut: so they will not convert and be healed. In the parallel, account Mark remarkably states so their sins will not be forgiven! Why wouldn't Christ want to heal and forgive them of their sins? Could it be for the reason in point 5?. Also notice what immediately follows these verses: The parable of the sower. Christ illustrates through the parable the different reactions of those who are called. Notice what He states about the first group:

Luk 8:12 Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

We both know God controls satan's actions. If God wanted every person saved in this life, He would not allow the devil to remove the word that was sown in their hearts. Just like He commanded the devil not to hurt or later kill Job, He could command him not to remove the sown word. Why doesn't God stop him if He wants everyone saved? The only logical answer is that He doesn't want them to believe and be saved, yet... Just like many other passages indicate!!!

So it is not because God deliberately prevents a person from seeing and understanding....it is because some people are 'unreceptive' to Gods word. They prefer their own understanding and will not allow themselves to be corrected. When Jesus taught those religious leaders, they didn't all respond positively...rather they gnashed their teeth at him. How can God draw people who don't allow their heart to be moved by the truth of Gods word?

5. Has it ever occurred to you that God hardened most of Israel's, as well as the religious leaders hearts, just like Pharaoh's, so His plan of salvation can move forward? If the religious leaders and Israel would have believed Christ at His first coming, they would have never killed Him and we'd have no Savior!!!

They are hard hearted toward God so he allows them to remain in their spiritually dark state. that is really what the above scriptures are telling us. Except for 2Corinthians4...that 'god of this system' is actually Satan the devil, not Almighty God .

6. Scripture reveals who does most of the hardening:

Exo_4:21 And the LORD said to Moses, "When you go back to Egypt, see that you do all those wonders before Pharaoh which I have put in your hand. But I will harden his heart, so that he will not let the people go.

Exo_7:3 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt.

Exo 10:1 Now the LORD said to Moses, "Go in to Pharaoh; for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his servants, [why?]that I may show these signs of Mine before him,

Exo 10:20 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he did not let the children of Israel go.

Exo 10:27 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he would not let them go.

Exo 11:10 So Moses and Aaron did all these wonders before Pharaoh; and the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he did not let the children of Israel go out of his land.

Exo 14:8 And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued the children of Israel; and the children of Israel went out with boldness.

Deu 2:30 "But Sihon king of Heshbon would not let us pass through, for the LORD your God hardened his spirit and made his heart obstinate, [why?]that He might deliver him into your hand, as it is this day. [fulfill His divine will]

Jos_11:20 For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that He might utterly destroy them, and that they might receive no mercy, but that He might destroy them, as the LORD had commanded Moses.

Isa 63:17 O LORD, why have You made us stray from Your ways, And hardened our heart from Your fear? Return for Your servants' sake, The tribes of Your inheritance.​

Last edited:

pwfaith

I have always understood it as God removed his hand of blessing from Pharaoh. I believe everyone has a sinful heart. God, desiring for everyone to believe in Him and follow Him, blesses us, works in our heart to bring about good, etc so we will see Him and desire to follow and obey Him. Pharaoh's heart was already becoming hard - we see this in the fact he kept God's chosen people slaves for so long and refused God's pleas to let them go. God did not "make" Pharaoh's heart become hard, he simply removed his hand of blessing and protection from him and Pharaoh's heart is hardened to it's "natural" (sinful, selfish, Godless) state.

This is one analogy I read:

If one were physically holding someone back from committing a crime, and he told him he'd let him go and he should not henceforth commit crimes. And when he let him go, He committed crimes again, is that man responsible for another man's sin simply because he no longer physically restrained him? The answer of course is no, not at all! Every man is responsible for his own sin.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I have always understood it as God removed his hand of blessing from Pharaoh. I believe everyone has a sinful heart. God, desiring for everyone to believe in Him and follow Him, blesses us, works in our heart to bring about good, etc so we will see Him and desire to follow and obey Him. Pharaoh's heart was already becoming hard - we see this in the fact he kept God's chosen people slaves for so long and refused God's pleas to let them go. God did not "make" Pharaoh's heart become hard, he simply removed his hand of blessing and protection from him and Pharaoh's heart is hardened to it's "natural" (sinful, selfish, Godless) state.

This is one analogy I read:

If one were physically holding someone back from committing a crime, and he told him he'd let him go and he should not henceforth commit crimes. And when he let him go, He committed crimes again, is that man responsible for another man's sin simply because he no longer physically restrained him? The answer of course is no, not at all! Every man is responsible for his own sin.

didn´t he say somewhere along that passage that he had "raised" the pharaoh for the explicit purpose of gaining fame at his expense?

pwfaith

didn´t he say somewhere along that passage that he had "raised" the pharaoh for the explicit purpose of gaining fame at his expense?

Some translations say "spared you", instead of "raised up". With great patience, God allowed Pharaoh to prosper and to come to this day, so that through all of this God's glory might be made known through Pharaoh's wickedness. God is patient with the wickedness of man, and will use it to His glory. As Pharaoh became more and more obstinate, He became more notorious and of course this brought on plague after plague, and so the things that God was doing in the midst of Pharaoh's stubborn refusal would be told throughout History. What would have happened to God's people if God had not removed his hand of blessing from Pharaoh, the plagues would not have come and Pharaoh would not have hit "rock bottom" so to speak? Would he have ever let God's people go? To me the passage on this just reminds me of other verses where it says God can take anything bad and bring good from it, and His glory will be revealed.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Some translations say "spared you", instead of "raised up". With great patience, God allowed Pharaoh to prosper and to come to this day, so that through all of this God's glory might be made known through Pharaoh's wickedness. God is patient with the wickedness of man, and will use it to His glory. As Pharaoh became more and more obstinate, He became more notorious and of course this brought on plague after plague, and so the things that God was doing in the midst of Pharaoh's stubborn refusal would be told throughout History. What would have happened to God's people if God had not removed his hand of blessing from Pharaoh, the plagues would not have come and Pharaoh would not have hit "rock bottom" so to speak? Would he have ever let God's people go? To me the passage on this just reminds me of other verses where it says God can take anything bad and bring good from it, and His glory will be revealed.

Hummm interesting... In any case I must say that "hardened" his heart is a very weird way of saying he "stop softening" his heart. I agree with you, it´s not the same to stop holding someone´s hand so he doesn´t commit a crime (stop softening heart) than to purposefully tell him "dude, are you gonna stab him or are you a chicken!?" (hardening heart) So I don´t understand why the writers of the bible would let go off this vital moral differenciation, specially if they were inspired by the Holy spirit in a way that makes them without flaw.

pwfaith

Hummm interesting... In any case I must say that "hardened" his heart is a very weird way of saying he "stop softening" his heart. I agree with you, it´s not the same to stop holding someone´s hand so he doesn´t commit a crime (stop softening heart) than to purposefully tell him "dude, are you gonna stab him or are you a chicken!?" (hardening heart) So I don´t understand why the writers of the bible would let go off this vital moral differentiation, specially if they were inspired by the Holy spirit in a way that makes them without flaw.

I don't know, perhaps it was an understood saying back then when it was written. That at that time, a time when whole nations followed God, it was simply more commonly used and people understood what it meant to have one's "heart hardened". kwim? They knew what it meant to have God's blessing, and removal of blessing. There have been many phrases over the centuries that are strange to us now lol but were understood at the time, and didn't mean anything like they sounded like they should. I have a couple friends from other countries and one thing they have all said was really hard to understand when coming to the US was some of our slang words and phrases. Cultural differences can be difficult and kind of funny sometimes.

Look at some of ours:

"In the Black"
"Jump on the bandwagon"
"Keep your pants on"
"Kiss of death"
"Knock on wood"
"Let the cat out of the bag"

Of course most of us know and understand what these phrases mean but can you imagine 1000 years from now, reading that in a book, esp in another country translated into your language, how those would really read to some? lol

That's just how I kinda look at it. :)

Me Myself

Back to my username
I don't know, perhaps it was an understood saying back then when it was written. That at that time, a time when whole nations followed God, it was simply more commonly used and people understood what it meant to have one's "heart hardened". kwim? They knew what it meant to have God's blessing, and removal of blessing. There have been many phrases over the centuries that are strange to us now lol but were understood at the time, and didn't mean anything like they sounded like they should. I have a couple friends from other countries and one thing they have all said was really hard to understand when coming to the US was some of our slang words and phrases. Cultural differences can be difficult and kind of funny sometimes.

Look at some of ours:

"In the Black"
"Jump on the bandwagon"
"Keep your pants on"
"Kiss of death"
"Knock on wood"
"Let the cat out of the bag"

Of course most of us know and understand what these phrases mean but can you imagine 1000 years from now, reading that in a book, esp in another country translated into your language, how those would really read to some? lol

That's just how I kinda look at it. :)

Ha, that´s a funny way of looking at it. Interesting though :D

james2ko

There are two different Hebrew words used for "spared" [chamal] and "raised" [awbad], respectively. The verse Me Myself is referring to uses the Hebrew term for raised:

Exo 9:16 But indeed for this purpose I have raised [awbad] you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.​

If "spared" was the intended meaning, I would think the Holy Spirit would have inspired it.