• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is disproven by science? Really?

Zwing

TRUTH is not a topic in science…
The description of natural fact is the object of science, and fact has a close relationship with truth. “A truth” is an assumption about what is actual, while “a fact” is a statement of actuality. Since science makes statements about the actualities of the natural world, it therefore initiates assumptions about the further, untested actualities of the natural world.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I has just now occurred to me, that within the English language (as well as other languages for which the words “God” and “a god” are homonymic…Spanish, French, I think…) it is by a similar (though inverse) rationale that the idea of our Omni-deity has been specificized…particularized.
I'd have said that was true some of the time but not all of the time. For instance, the Jewish God's name is the tetragrammaton, the Christian god's name is Yahweh, and I guess for Trinitarians, also Jesus and Ghost. However, I have the impression (but readily open to correction) that Allah's name is Allah end of story.
Even so, in the Romance languages there is an additional layer of confusion, as the name for a deity in those languages is simply a restatement of the original name of the old IE sky god “Dyeus Pater”. It seems no wonder, then, if Jews might think that Christians are a confused bunch, simply for how they refer to the “God of the Universe”, for they call the Deity by the name of another deity.
I take your point, but if your name is John then by your argument wouldn't it be the case that it would still mean what its etymological origin, Hebrew Yohanan, means (which I read is 'Yahweh has favored')? Whereas no such concept has ever been associated with the various folk named John that I've met over the years.

Zwing

Never mind.
I did make a further comment which you might have missed:
It is the “God” of the Bible, “Hashem” to the Jews (YHVH), to which I refer, which Christians have conflated and confused with the old IE deity, and by all sorts of theological machinations. I don’t know whether this can be called a “western God” or an “eastern God”, though.
I hope that addresses your question…

Zwing

There was no flood so he who did
what didn't happen isn't real either
Not necessarily so,
Sure, this provides circumstantial evidence that the “great flooding” never occurred , but not evidence that YHVH does not exist. There is rational evidence as well, for there is simply not enough water within the biosphere to flood the entire earth to the level of the highest peaks. The only solution to this problem available to the theist is to ascribe a supernatural etiology to a natural event, which results in ontological discontinuity.

The difference between a flood and a “spiritual entity” lies in the fact that a flood is a natural, physical phenomenon, while a spiritual entity is non-physical and supernatural. Such a supernatural entity or phenomenon is, by definition, not testable by human methods. This is the singular genius of the Israelite conception of deity…it’s untestability, for while the other ancient deities such as Zeus, being conceived of as entities with a corporeal aspect, were ultimately proven testable, YHVH was and remains not.

Audie

Veteran Member
The description of natural fact is the object of science, and fact has a close relationship with truth. “A truth” is an assumption about what is actual, while “a fact” is a statement of actuality. Since science makes statements about the actualities of the natural world, it therefore initiates assumptions about the further, untested actualities of the natural world.
I will go with "close relationship to truth".
Not "Truth" as per our hero of the quoted passage.

Audie

Veteran Member
Not necessarily so,
Circumstantial evidence"??
Surely you misspeak.

No God made a " great flood".

If it's said that one did, that God is a lie
if there's no flood ( see fundy 101), then
plainly that God doesn't exist.
Like there are turtles. But none that fly.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
As far as I'm concerned, you're part of objective reality, and (I trust) as far you're concerned I'm part of objective reality. That's always been the case. Pay attention, class!

So when I am subjective I am also not subjective since I am objective as a part of objective reality as with truth. That is a contradiction.

Zwing

Circumstantial evidence"??
Surely you misspeak.

No God made a " great flood".

If it's said that one did, that God is a lie
if there's no flood ( see fundy 101), then
plainly that God doesn't exist.
Like there are turtles. But none that fly.
If you walk into your flat after a long day, and are surprised to find a stain of dried liquid on the countertop and a glass containing some residue of milk nearby on the countertop, the you have circumstantial evidence that the milk had spilled from the glass onto the counter, and then dried. You may also conjecture that there was somebody other than yourself in your flat who poured the glass of milk and then spilled it onto the counter, but you have no definitive evidence that that is true. This is a highly imperfect analogy, but it’s the best that I can do “off the cuff”. The point of it is, if there seems to have been no flood, then we can merely conjecture that there is no God which is proposed to have caused a “great flood”. Such a conjecture…such a supposition, though, does not definitively prove the non-existence of such a God.

F1fan

Veteran Member
If you look at evolution and the theory of natural selection,
Evolution is a theory, and natural selection is an observation.

theoretically the concepts of God(s) and religion has had an impact on human selection and therefore on human evolution.
Religion and belief in popular concepts, like gods, is behavior and it can affect how any given society behaves. Look at the Branch Davidians, and Jonestown, those groups of people decided to kill themselves due to their religious beliefs, including many children. So they removed themselves from future reproduction. Human evolution favored individuals who were cooperative and aligned to tribal norms, and this led to religion as an early form of social contract and self-governing. Humans lacked knowledge about the universe so formed myths and religions as explanations. There is a reason why modern nations opted for secular governing rather than theocracies, and that is due to the diversity of religions and the lack of evidence for their claims.
For example, after Christianity merged with Rome and as Christianity gradually took over power; Catholic Church, social selection in Europe was defined by Religion. According to the theory of evolution, this selection process and pressure should have been added to the DNA and brain since it lasted 1000 plus years. Religion has impacted billions of people since civilization started; selective religious based pressures.
Well you might as well not forget that Christians executed about 30,000 witches in the 17th century, which eliminated all those wicked people from the gene pool.

Of course your statements above are absurd and not fact based. You fail to explain what was added to DNA, and how it was selected artifically.
This is a very unique type of selection process, if you consider that God is not material or does not come into our brain from the five senses; not part of sensory reality.
Also called imaginary.
This unique type of selection process was driven by internal neural processes; imagination, evolving itself, impacting outward social selection, so this internally driven evolution could be engraved into material DNA.
Sure, show us the facts and data, and then the experiment that demonstrates it's valid.
It not coincidence that the many Christian nations, under the Holy Roman Empire, would all internally evolve together; common religious selection, leading to them leading parts of the world into the future; age of exploration and trade. They applied world wide social selection pressures.
Evolve together? Do you mean how isolated populations of humans evolved with different features? This was due to slow migration rates.
The term natural selection may only apply to sensory based reality and instincts. This is why religion is often differentiated as divine selection, added to evolution; from the inside; Adam.
Fictional characters are not data, so irrelevant.
The theory of Creation added selective pressure to human evolution for over 6000 years.
Creationism isn't a theory, it's fraud. It was the best Christians could invent many hundreds of years ago because all they had was the Bible as a source, but science has revealed none of it can be taken literally. Anyone who promotes creationism these days is promoting fraud.
This may be why we can use will power to leave religion; Atheism,
Many former believers leave religion for various reasons, but it is often due to being abused and feeling targeted in some way. I'm an atheist because I was never convinced the ideas were true. Even as a child I had serious doubts, and as I observed Christians around me I could see they did not live via the beliefs they claimed to value. Once I developed reasoning skill I examined the claims and found them not only without evidence, but contrary to what we understand of reality.
but a religion template may be engrained in our DNA. One can take people out of religion but not religion out of the people; same urge but changes form.
There is good evidence we humans evolved to believe, as I noted. The book Emotional Intelligence has chapters that explain how the human brain evolved as a believing tool. About 85% of the world population is "wired for God", and these people will be more likely to adopt religion from their social experience.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wrong? or disregarded?
Disregarded. You probably know that the phrase "not even wrong" means neither the term wrong nor right apply. A claim has to be falsifiable to be shown to be correct or incorrect, neither of which is possible for the unfalsifiable.
Simply ancient views of God and supernatural events should be considered in context of the ancient culture which they were written., and not considered factual today.
I'm not sure why you've included this. I haven't been discussing ancient views, just modern god claims and how they should be viewed and evaluated according to the principles of reason applied to evidence seen in science and law, for example. I don't consider any god claims ancient or modern factual. As I said, if they're unfalsifiable, they are neither correct nor incorrect.

In an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and George are arguing about whether Superman had a sense of humor, since although he smiled, he didn't laugh and wasn't witty:

Jerry: I think Superman probably has a very good sense of humor.
George: I never heard him say anything really funny.
Jerry: But it's common sense. He's got super strength, super speed. I'm sure he's got super humor.
George: You would think that, but either you're born with a sense of humor, or you're not. It's not going to change even if you go from the red sun of Krypton all the way to the yellow sun of the Earth.
Jerry: Why? Why would that one area of his mind not be affected by the yellow sun of Earth?
George: I don't know. But he ain't funny.

Which one is right and which is wrong? Neither is either, because they're making unfalsifiable ("not even wrong") claims.
this provides circumstantial evidence that the “great flooding” never occurred , but not evidence that YHVH does not exist.
Others have already said this, and I agree with them: The god of the Old Testament flooded the earth. If that never happened, that god doesn't exist. Perhaps other gods that never flooded the earth exist, but not that one. In the past, people have argued that we are misunderstanding what the Great Flood was, and they redefine it. But that doesn't rescue the god that allegedly drowned the earth. It presents a new mythology worthy of a new god or pantheon of gods that didn't drown the entire earth.
If you look at evolution and the theory of natural selection, theoretically the concepts of God(s) and religion has had an impact on human selection and therefore on human evolution. For example, after Christianity merged with Rome and as Christianity gradually took over power; Catholic Church, social selection in Europe was defined by Religion. According to the theory of evolution, this selection process and pressure should have been added to the DNA and brain since it lasted 1000 plus years. Religion has impacted billions of people since civilization started; selective religious based pressures.
You're confusing biological evolution (the natural selection of genes) and cultural evolution (the artificial selection of memes).
a religion template may be engrained in our DNA
What's ingrained in humanity is children engaging in magical thinking and viewing the father figure, whether the head of the family or tribe, as powerful, intelligent, judgmental, and to be obeyed. The priesthood exploited these tendencies and carved out a great niche for itself - no hard labor, work indoors, supported for life by people bringing them money every week to tell others how to live, and instant respect and social status. But notice the need to maintain these immature ideas through adulthood, which is especially difficult in a world trying to educate children to think critically. Religion is dying where education flourishes, which is your evidence that there is no god gene. Just stop telling susceptible people about gods, let them mature outside of religion, and they have no need for either.

Zwing

What's ingrained in humanity is children engaging in magical thinking and viewing the father figure, whether the head of the family or tribe, as powerful, intelligent, judgmental, and to be obeyed. The priesthood exploited these tendencies and carved out a great niche for itself - no hard labor, work indoors, supported for life by people bringing them money every week to tell others how to live, and instant respect and social status. But notice the need to maintain these immature ideas through adulthood, which is especially difficult in a world trying to educate children to think critically. Religion is dying where education flourishes, which is your evidence that there is no god gene. Just stop telling susceptible people about gods, let them mature outside of religion, and they have no need for either.
You make many good points here, but your conclusion is questionable. The essence of what we call “religion” is the display of care for something which is deeply meaningful to us as individuals. It may not be directly ingrained in our genetic code, but “man’s search for meaning” in life seems to be a universal characteristic which appears to represent an integral function of the mind, and so to result from common human brain architecture. Let us not forget that “religion” subsumes many other than theistic modes of thought, and the common characteristic of religious modes of thought lies in the provision of meaning to human life. “Religion” can be applied to any behavior which repeatedly shows deep concern for something which provides meaning to human life…any behavior. There may not be a “god gene”, a gene for theism, or even a gene for religion, but inasmuch as man’s search for meaning is universal, religion seems to be a universal product of the human mind, and of profound import.

Zwing

What's ingrained in humanity is… viewing the father figure, whether the head of the family or tribe, as powerful, intelligent, judgmental, and to be obeyed.
Yes , and I think that this is a good thing. Hierarchy and authority are facts of life, and if we do not accept certain rules for the establishment of authority, if we “critically think” ourselves away from that, then we become no more than a bunch of individualistic monkeys waiting for somebody to physically enforce their authority over us…an undesirable situation, for certain. A child who refuses to accept the authority of its father (assuming the father to be reasonable) becomes no more than a little beast in need of a thrashing.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You make many good points here, but your conclusion is questionable. The essence of what we call “religion” is the display of care for something which is deeply meaningful to us as individuals. It may not be directly ingrained in our genetic code, but “man’s search for meaning” in life seems to be a universal characteristic which appears to represent an integral function of the mind, and so to result from common human brain architecture. Let us not forget that “religion” subsumes many other than theistic modes of thought, and the common characteristic of religious modes of thought lies in the provision of meaning to human life. “Religion” can be applied to any behavior which repeatedly shows deep concern for something which provides meaning to human life…any behavior. There may not be a “god gene”, a gene for theism, or even a gene for religion, but inasmuch as man’s search for meaning is universal, religion seems to be a universal product of the human mind, and of profound import.
I don't think meaning is as important as you say. The search for meaning seems a rare occurance among US citizens, but what is important is belonging. There does appear to be a strong motivation to fit in and belong to some group, and this can be circumstantial or deliberate. I don;t see many who end up being religious as having a strong deliberate motive to be a believer, and be committed to a certain religion for specific reasons. There are excevtions, but asking these folks questions they have exchanged one non-rational framework for another, and not for rational reasons, but for a different tribe to belong to. I suspect many people feel lost and confused because they are part of groups they don;t relate to, or do relate to but not sure why. There's a strong case to be made that despite we humans being capable of reasoning we behave in very irrational ways to seek emotonal satisfaction.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The essence of what we call “religion” is the display of care for something which is deeply meaningful to us as individuals. It may not be directly ingrained in our genetic code, but “man’s search for meaning” in life seems to be a universal characteristic which appears to represent an integral function of the mind, and so to result from common human brain architecture.
That's not how I define religion. That describes parenting as well.
the common characteristic of religious modes of thought lies in the provision of meaning to human life.
Religion is only one approach to that. But let me tell you what I mean by the word. A religion is a supernaturalistic worldview featuring gods. My worldview is atheistic humanism through which lens I find meaning in my life and the best answers available to questions of what is nature, what am I, what is my place in and relationship to nature, and how is life best lived.
“Religion” can be applied to any behavior which repeatedly shows deep concern for something which provides meaning to human life…any behavior.
That sounds more like my definition of love as discussed in my post just above this one, which we are capable of outside of religions.
There may not be a “god gene”, a gene for theism, or even a gene for religion, but inasmuch as man’s search for meaning is universal, religion seems to be a universal product of the human mind, and of profound import.
And religion is one approach to this. I do it without religion as I define the word, although it seems like earlier you defined doing that as religion.
I think that this is a good thing
Hierarchies in childhood (and prisons, the military, and dictatorships) are different from hierarchies in a modern political state for autonomous, self-actualized citizens, who are volunteers in a social contract they can freely leave, as I did when I expatriated from America, which now has almost no authority in my life except that I need to file taxes annually, and I can get out of that by forfeiting my citizenship.

Others have suggested that the proclivity of humans to become religious means that such behavior must confer a survival advantage. Dawkins offers an alternative perspective. Paternalistic hierarchies in childhood are a due to an instinct that promotes survival. This is what is in the DNA, not gods, and it is this instinct that the clergy coopt. Edited from https://www.qcc.cuny.edu/SocialScie...HAPTER_10_DEFINITION/What-Use-is-Religion.htm

“What is the survival value of religion?” may be the wrong question. The right question may have the form, “What is the survival value of some as yet unspecified individual behavior, or psychological characteristic, that manifests itself, under appropriate circumstances, as religion?” Darwinians who seek the survival value of religion are asking the wrong question. Instead, we should focus on something in our evolving ancestors that we would not then have recognized as religion, but which is primed to become recognizable as religion in the changed context of civilized society.

"Moths fly into the candle flame, and it doesn’t look like an accident. They go out of their way to make a burnt offering of themselves. We could label it “self-immolation behavior” and wonder how Darwinian natural selection could possibly favor it. My point, again, is that we need to rewrite the question before we can even attempt an intelligent answer. It isn’t suicide. Apparent suicide emerges as an inadvertent side-effect.

"Artificial light is a recent arrival on the night scene. Until recently, the only night lights were the moon and the stars. Being at optical infinity, their rays are parallel, which makes them ideal compasses. Insects are known to use celestial objects to steer accurately in a straight line. The insect nervous system is adept at setting up a temporary rule of thumb such as, “Steer a course such that the light rays hit your eye at an angle of 30°.” Since insects have compound eyes, this will amount to favoring a particular ommatidium (individual optical tube radiating out from the center of the compound eye)."

We are the moths, and religion is the Johnny-come-lately light source exploiting preexisting instincts, not the reason we have those proclivities. This is:

"there will be a selective advantage to child brains with the rule of thumb: Believe whatever your grown-ups tell you. Obey your parents, obey the tribal elders, especially when they adopt a solemn, minatory tone. Obey without question."

Audie

Veteran Member
If you walk into your flat after a long day, and are surprised to find a stain of dried liquid on the countertop and a glass containing some residue of milk nearby on the countertop, the you have circumstantial evidence that the milk had spilled from the glass onto the counter, and then dried. You may also conjecture that there was somebody other than yourself in your flat who poured the glass of milk and then spilled it onto the counter, but you have no definitive evidence that that is true. This is a highly imperfect analogy, but it’s the best that I can do “off the cuff”. The point of it is, if there seems to have been no flood, then we can merely conjecture that there is no God which is proposed to have caused a “great flood”. Such a conjecture…such a supposition, though, does not definitively prove the non-existence of such a God.
Any claim that there was a flood is ignorant or
a lie.
There are loggers. And oxen.

There was no giant Paul Bunyan
who logged with a great blue ox.

There are floods, but no god who
committed a great flood

That god is as phony as Paul Bunyan.

And his ox.

Zwing

…let me tell you what I mean by the word. A religion is a supernaturalistic worldview featuring gods.
This is a particular example of the more general idea. Etymologically, “religion”, from Latin religio (religio < re- “again”/“repeatedly” + lego “to care for/about” + -io ‘suffix forming nouns from verbs’) indicates that which a person repeatedly, or ritually, displays a profound concern about. Of course, this can be a deity, or it can be a nature trail, or nature in general, or finding peace and freedom from psychic pain in this life (the pursuit of moksha), or nourishing the expectation of the eventual shrugging off of the illusion bequeathed by existence in the physical universe when one has reverted to ultimate reality (Brahman), or a beloved dog walk, or any of a number of things. Point is, it need not involve the supernatural.

Last edited: