• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Gender...

What (if any) Gender is Deity?

• Blue Blankie!

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Pink Blankie!

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • No Blankie- God is Genderless!

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • No Blankie- God contains all genders!

• No Blankie- It doesn't matter!

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • No Blankie- There is no God!

• Total voters

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
(Continued from this thread.)

Does your concept of deity have a blue blankie or a pink one, or no blankie at all because:
1. They have no gender.
2. They contain all genders.
3. It doesn't matter.
4. God doesn't exist.

Why do believe what you do?

(Poll will be added in a moment.)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Feathers in Hair said:
(Continued from this thread.)

Does your concept of deity have a blue blankie or a pink one, or no blankie at all because:
1. They have no gender.
2. They contain all genders.
3. It doesn't matter.
4. God doesn't exist.

Why do believe what you do?

(Poll will be added in a moment.)
God is our Father in Heaven. A father is a male parent. Not rocket science by any means.

HopefulNikki

I don't really see a reason to believe that God has a gender. I'd be very interested in seeing the reasoning that one might offer to believe that their god is male or female.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
HopefulNikki said:
How did you arrive at this conclusion?
How did I arrive at the conclusion that God is our Father in Heaven? Well, as a Christian, I believe that's what the Bible says He is.

lizskid

BANNED
I wanted to vote for two...genderless and having all genders. We are part of God, and while I do not believe he is a gendered or sexual entity, I think he understands the genders and created them, theologically speaking.

HopefulNikki

Katzpur said:
How did I arrive at the conclusion that God is our Father in Heaven? Well, as a Christian, I believe that's what the Bible says He is.
Beyond the testimony of the Bible and other alledgedly revelatory/inspired religious texts, is there any reason to believe God is male?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
lizskid said:
I wanted to vote for two...genderless and having all genders. We are part of God, and while I do not believe he is a gendered or sexual entity, I think he understands the genders and created them, theologically speaking.

I think I would most likely agree with this!

For me, I don't have any 'proof' that god is one gender or another. When I choose to celebrate aspects of Deity, I mainly celebrate the feminine aspect. I was raised in a patriarchal tradition, and while I still love and admire that faith, I find greater self-esteem by imagining that Deity carries my physical aspects.

Circle_One

Well, that would depend on which of my Gods you were referring to. We've got both blue blankies AND pink blankies on our side of the fold :D:D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
HopefulNikki said:
Beyond the testimony of the Bible and other alledgedly revelatory/inspired religious texts, is there any reason to believe God is male?
Well, from the Christian perspective, the Bible would be sufficient reason to believe it. Of course, according to the Latter-day Saints, He is male because that's what Joseph Smith said He was when He appeared to him. Not that that would carry any weight with anyone other than us. :)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm not sure these days if I believe in god....I'm leaning toward not.

But, even when I was a strong Christian I didn't take the words God Our Father to mean literally a male figure. I think God was given the character of a male in the bible to be understood and grasped easier by human beings as a human type figure. And of course males were undoubtably dominant in those days.

However, I think God is genderless or it doesn't matter. In our earthly realm gender matters because we need to reproduce. In another realm after death I don't see the need for the sexes so my guess is we may retain our outward appearance but God is genderless. I have never pictured God looking like a man.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I voted Blue because that's how I relate to God, as Katzpur said "Our Father, who art in Heaven".

I realize many people relate to God as a Mother or as genderless, and I have a lot of respect for those views.

About the only aspect of this type of discussion that is troubling occurs when people feel a need to alter prayers and hymns from ages past and remove references to God as our Father.:149: At that point, misguided efforts at political correctness 'inclusiveness' turn into proseltyzing.:tsk:

Create new works that refer to God in any manner you relate, but leave what's been already been written along. That's not too much to ask.:162:

BTW...the no blankie options are not viable cause it's too chilly at night.:D

Kay

Towards the Sun
I had a hard time deciding between "Contains all genders" and "Genderless." I chose "Contains all," but I would have said "Both" if I could. :)

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Hi Feathers! :)
I voted that God is genderless because God is not human like us. However, in Hinduism, God has male and female QUALITIES. God can be called mother or father. The male ASPECT of God is Shiva or cosmic consciousness and the female ASPECT is Shakti or energy.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
the poll didn't really have an option for polytheists to say some Gods are Male, some Gods are Female.... that's why we call them Goddesses :p