• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going topless, an equal rights issue

Should all women have the right to go topless wherever men do?

• Yes

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm not too sure I know how to take that. :confused:

Somewhere I heard a saying:

Women, if you hear something said to you and there is a bad way of taking it and a good way, most probably it was meant in the good way :D

I myself thought it was a freaky compliment :D

Me Myself

Back to my username
so, back to topic:

I still see no reason why there should be any legal regulation on what people are wearing or not wearing besides probably puvic area and that mostly for health and hygiene reasons.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
so, back to topic:

I still see no reason why there should be any legal regulation on what people are wearing or not wearing besides probably puvic area and that mostly for health and hygiene reasons.
Even that has no logical basis other than social consensus.
Nudists manage to be around naked folk without getting the plague.
Why have any requirements......except for welders?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Even that has no logical basis other than social consensus.
Nudists manage to be around naked folk without getting the plague.
Why have any requirements......except for welders?

Maybe, I am not aware of that, the only thing I read about nudist community had people using towels before sitting somewhere.

Me Myself

Back to my username
How about rear facing loin cloths?

not sure I understand, you mean something that blocks the butt but not the frontal part of pelvis? Maybe.

I mean I just don`t see how is it in any way necesary to prohibit something just because some people don`t want to look at it. If they don`t want to, they very well may close their eyes. Pruidish people already don`t like cleavages and such and we still have them. It`s not like every woman will go out bare boobed anyways, but for principles sake, there should be no legal thing limiting them of doing such.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I say we should just make clothing optional. At times it serves a purpose, such as blocking rays from the sun or warmth retention during the winter, but on a nice spring day why shouldn't people be allowed to walk around naked if they want? Except that it might reduce the soothing effects of having a gentle spring breeze being blown on your naked body after a hot shower.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
not sure I understand, you mean something that blocks the butt but not the frontal part of pelvis? Maybe.

I mean I just don`t see how is it in any way necesary to prohibit something just because some people don`t want to look at it. If they don`t want to, they very well may close their eyes. Pruidish people already don`t like cleavages and such and we still have them. It`s not like every woman will go out bare boobed anyways, but for principles sake, there should be no legal thing limiting them of doing such.
I was having fun with the notion that boobs & genitals are so very different in the context of public display.
What's the difference? If we are to support (punny, eh?) free range hooters, then why not wieners & tacos?

Alceste

Vagabond
I was having fun with the notion that boobs & genitals are so very different in the context of public display.
What's the difference? If we are to support (punny, eh?) free range hooters, then why not wieners & tacos?

Exactly. Why not? Does anybody really think that without the government dictating which bits we're supposed to cover up there will be an explosion of visible genitalia? I don't know about you, but I never needed to brush up on the current public decency laws before getting dressed in the morning.

Draka

Wonder Woman
On an interesting note, at least to me, of that list of places that are now "top-free", I didn't happen to see any place in Iowa. However, there is no law in Iowa that specifically states that going topless is against the law. I think it is just more or less "presumed" by most people. Fact is, the indecent exposure laws are written to include wording specific to genitals and pubes with the intent to offend. Since breasts are not genitals, there really isn't anything in the Iowa law books that states anything about about the exposure of breasts being indecent exposure. I'm betting there are other places like this as well.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
On an interesting note, at least to me, of that list of places that are now "top-free", I didn't happen to see any place in Iowa. However, there is no law in Iowa that specifically states that going topless is against the law. I think it is just more or less "presumed" by most people. Fact is, the indecent exposure laws are written to include wording specific to genitals and pubes with the intent to offend. Since breasts are not genitals, there really isn't anything in the Iowa law books that states anything about about the exposure of breasts being indecent exposure. I'm betting there are other places like this as well.

Perhaps but you just know that all it will take is one woman walking around topless and that incident making it to the press and suddenly you'll see a plethora of amendments putting a ban on it. Or one of the more conservative states will slip it in and inspire others to follow suit. That's why we need a legal law that says it's okay. because otherwise a law could be slipped in or we could get harassed for indecent exposure by cops or others and because there's nothing on the books there would be nothing for us to fall back on and no legal recourse for us to turn to.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Perhaps but you just know that all it will take is one woman walking around topless and that incident making it to the press and suddenly you'll see a plethora of amendments putting a ban on it. Or one of the more conservative states will slip it in and inspire others to follow suit. That's why we need a legal law that says it's okay. because otherwise a law could be slipped in or we could get harassed for indecent exposure by cops or others and because there's nothing on the books there would be nothing for us to fall back on and no legal recourse for us to turn to.
As I mentioned in post #47
"Though these states [those listed above] are top free, MOST cities in those states have passed (unconstitutional) ordinances that annul the state's top free statute."

"Can I be arrested for going topless in a topless city?
Even if a top free law is firmly in effect, the police can still arrest you under the pretense of "disorderly conduct". Don't be intimidated! You can sue the city back for wrongful arrest (if your only crime was to go topless). That is what Phoenix Feeley did in NYC in 2005"
Source: ibid.

jasonwill2

I support this for all the wrong reasons. Does that count?

I think so, 27 voted yes and 4 no so far.

The difference is that men go crazy seeing boobs whereas women are hardly affected by seeing a man topless...unless he has an amazing body.

It comes down to how men perceive and treat us as a result of the way we behave. If it didn't make a difference then there wouldn't be a problem. But it would make a difference.

In many cultures boobies are freely displayed and not seen as primarily sexual.

you nailed it.

But that`s exactly why I cannot see how to forbid it in any grounds: it comes down to how MEN percieve them.

the woman cannot be held accountable for that, there are many tribes where boobs in the air is normal, so it is definetely sociocultural.

I find it unappealing to keep a prohibition grounded on that to only hinder women and not men.

YES!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
ok if anyone wants to see me topless here is your chance
made you look :D
I feel so cheated!
But here I am....
7468163974_7b7d9e14b1_z.jpg