• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Perhaps?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
According to the poll a majority just want fewer Trump/Biden threads, which is understandable since we've been inundated
with us for a while now.

So far only 27% are saying they want no politics at all. Hardly a majority.
Combined, most people want fewer such threads, a minority want it to stay as it is. That's what I'm getting at. There is a clear preference for fewer political discussions.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Compared to how populated this forum would be if it was essentially discussing theology with all the "off-topic" stuff squirrelled away somewhere?
I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make with this post.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If you sign up to a forum called 'Religious Forums' and you are a liberal atheist, you should realistically expect to be in a minority. It's not that you are uninvited but if one is coming here for the off-topic discussions, which is what those subafora are, I'm not sure why you're upset that people are wondering at that. It's not the main intent behind the forum.
Why should liberal atheists not be welcome to debate religious topics? I've seen many posts by atheists about religious matters and often atheists know the tenants of some religion better than those who follow that religion. And why stereotype liberal atheists as only interested in politics? You have, in fact, brought politics into a thread about religion and RF which proves the point of those who have asserted that politics and religion are utterly intertwined these days.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Combined, most people want fewer such threads,

Except that there's no reason to combine those two.

The fact that you're getting different results for the first option and the last option shows that.
a minority want it to stay as it is.

A minority just said that they don't want fewer Biden /Trump threads. Stretching that to say that only a minority of people in favor of fewer political throws in general is a misinterpretation of the results.

That's what I'm getting at. There is a clear preference for fewer political discussions.

Not sure where you're seeing that.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
FWIW, I get the sense that you've coaxed the thread from being one of "Goodbye Perhaps" to a hopeful "Good Riddance At Last," which is, of course, fine.
Still, I seriously doubt that you or the owners would appreciate the result.
What? The OP is not saying what you think he is in that case? I agree with the OP. He doesn't want to stay because of the Trump and Biden **** and the off-topic stuff..

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Why should liberal atheists not be welcome to debate religious topics? I've seen many posts by atheists about religious matters and often atheists know the tenants of some religion better than those who follow that religion. And why stereotype liberal atheists as only interested in politics? You have, in fact, brought politics into a thread about religion and RF which proves the point of those who have asserted that politics and religion are utterly intertwined these days.
Did you read the OP?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I always feels swamped when I post. It's not a very fun experience. If I so much as say I'm against SSM or whatever, I can count on it being at least a 5-1 discussion.
Could you provide an example thread that illustrates this?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Search Engine Optimization. Having a domain name that captures an entire category without any descriptors pretty much guarantees you're going to be at the top of the list on Google's first page when somebody googles the topic.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean the complaint seems to be that there should be less "off-topic" stuff (apparently all non-religious topics are this) so people don't leave. I'm suggesting a lot more might be leaving if all that "off-topic" stuff was sidelined.
That's not my complaint. I'm talking specifically about the toxicity that the political forums bring to the table. I've spent an excessive amount of time moderating mean-spirited posts in forums I rarely even participate in.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
According to the poll a majority just want fewer Trump/Biden threads, which is understandable since we've been inundated
with us for a while now.

So far only 27% are saying they want no politics at all. Hardly a majority.

And let's not forget about the poll's insidious "etc" category, particularly given that it would include threads such as "Goodbye Perhaps" and the poll it spawned.