• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Perhaps?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Perhaps ever since I started my Theology degree I've come to expect better.
I would expect that a course in theology would be better.
We can talk about this all the live-long day, but until the owners are convinced the changes are necessary and possible, and they grant the staff the CP permissions to make such changes, any discussion on this is moot.
We've (I've) bashed the owners repeatedly for not permitting change. It's off topic but I'd love to hear about their motivation whatever it is.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My disappointment hasn't been that its only religion, but that the topics are 95% Abrahamic. I don't understand most of what's discussed
DIRs can be a barrier. There was a thread not so long ago about reincarnation. It was in a DIR so I could not participate. That reminds me of the former system of blue vs green DIRs where questions were permitted in some and not in others. I wanted to ask about Hindu views on reincarnation but could not without starting another thread which seemed so clunky that I did not bother.

Big question: does staff have the ability to change the forum and subforum topics? Maybe a different structure would encourage more and higher quality religious posts.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Any suggestions on this?
Opening Pandora's box basically having my hot button items and tilting the balance toward religion while leaving politics as an option.
  • Create a top level Other Religions DIR and move all the small ones underneath it as sub-Forums
  • Might need config - allow questions in DIRs if OK with DIRs.
  • Put a note under Political Discussions. I'm not sure about wording. Maybe something like "For debate and discussion of politics especially as it relates to religion" (as a hint).
  • Move "Forum News and Announcements" to the home page and have a frozen top level topic that states the RF is primarily a religious forum but that it's open to discussion of other topics such as politics, entertainment etc.
  • More drastic option - move "Political Discussions" to "Everything But the Kitchen Sink"

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Opening Pandora's box basically having my hot button items and tilting the balance toward religion while leaving politics as an option.
  • Create a top level Other Religions DIR and move all the small ones underneath it as sub-Forums
  • Might need config - allow questions in DIRs if OK with DIRs.
  • Put a note under Political Discussions. I'm not sure about wording. Maybe something like "For debate and discussion of politics especially as it relates to religion" (as a hint).
  • Move "Forum News and Announcements" to the home page and have a frozen top level topic that states the RF is primarily a religious forum but that it's open to discussion of other topics such as politics, entertainment etc.
  • More drastic option - move "Political Discussions" to "Everything But the Kitchen Sink"

Nothing speaks RELIGION so much as biasing the the user interface. Perhaps better would be a sign that says something akin to:

If You Welcome God, We Welcome You
Amen
:p

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Nothing speaks RELIGION so much as biasing the the user interface. Perhaps better would be a sign that says something akin to:

If You Welcome God, We Welcome You
Amen
:p

Better:
Welcome Kali, We Welcome You Otherwise...

Kali_lithograph.jpg

Send a pm to a mod requesting access to your chosen forum

It might be useful to update the instructions here:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It might be useful to update the instructions here:

It is somewhat outdated.

@Quintessence, can something be done about this?

David1967

Premium Member
For the last few weeks I have been getting a strong urge to say my goodbyes to the people of RF. This is not meant as disrespect to them but more out of a feeling of loss.

When I joined ten years ago, the debate was at times exhilarating. Biblical knowledge was superb. There were Buddhists and Pagans too, who really knew there stuff. The downside was a fair number who seemed to be here simply to mock
I recall when (in my opinion) the best Buddhist announced his departure, he was asked "why" and he replied, "have you looked around this place".

Well I don't expect great Buddhism, but I am sick to the back teeth of Biden and Trump. Sick sick sick.

Of course, not all members are too concerned about those gentlemen, many in fact choose to spend their time in Games pics and jokes. Well it has been said that I have a good sense of humour but **** me what is the appeal of that pile of *****.

Anyway, that is how I am feeling right now. The pro's are, and they are quite strong, that I have been a member for ten years, and I do not easily walk out on old friends.
Secondly, there are people here who I respect and like. I like to be able to drop a hint of that now and again. It must be said, that there are more sighs than smiles.

I hope for some response, I am genuinely interested.
Hopefully you decide to stick around. I agree the politics get ridiculous, especially in an election year. Why not just not clicking on the political threads and enjoy the ones you are interested in?