• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Government Shut-Down...Let The Finger Pointing Begin

Whom do you blame?

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think you paint a rosy picture of a Bernie candidacy that has the benefit of never having been sullied by reality.
Actually, I realize the most likely scenario is he would have been ineffective due to him not being a "real Democrat." But him running alone would have given us a different landscape than what we got. All because the Dems didn't seem to comprehend how much was actually at stake with the last election, and they took a very foolish gamble and lost.
I voted for Clinton, did you?
I wasn't even going to vote, and then I pretty much voted against putting Pence that close to a presidency. Had Pence not been Trump's running mate, I would have left that part of my ballot blank like I do all the uncontested elections. Had that not happened, I probably only would have voted on the public option to amend to the state constitution to preserve fishing and hunting as rights, as well as wildlife conservation to preserve the future of fishing and hunting (I voted yes, and was surprised that more people didn't).

Stanyon

WWMRD?
OPINION:
Obviously both
QUESTION:
How many shutdowns have we had over the years?
HOWEVER:
The %.016 of alleged but probably not Russian twitter bots spamming up the Internet undermining our democracy teamed up with the NRA are probably the real ones to blame, along with KKKonservative "Christians". (I feel like I need to wash my mouth out with soap now)
END RESULT:
Shutdown won't last long and the wind will still blow and the grass will still grow.

Hopefully the Vikings and Jaguars go to the Superbowl and the Vikings take home the Lombardi trophy.

Shadow Wolf

He would have alienated the left moderates, right moderates
Against Trump, where would they have went?
had weak showing in the black vote and female vote,
His support from the black vote was increasing, and Hillary it turned out didn't perform well garnering the female vote. "Race is thicker than gender" is how Bill Maher described the results.
and he had a rap sheet a mile long the republicans would have loved to use.
They no doubt would have. But it would have motivated those further Left than moderates and Liberals, rather than alienating them like Hillary had done.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Hopefully the Vikings and Jaguars go to the Superbowl and the Vikings take home the Lombardi trophy.
Go Vikes! I’m a stinky Cheesehead but after that performance by those purple people eaters against the Saints, they’ve got my vote!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps like the so called 'Bernie bros' they would have abstained or voted a different independent. It's hard to say. But I still don't believe we have good reason to believe Sanders would have preformed better.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As a humorous aside:
"A shutdown falls on the President's lack of leadership. He can't even control his party and get people together in a room. A shutdown means the President is weak"
-Donald Trump 2013

Shadow Wolf

To clarify, I do feel that had Bernie won a shutdown would have still probably happened. But it would have been more of the same with Republicans refusing to compromise and often even refusing to consider or listen to what the president is offering, rather than being in the current situation of having lost a very high risk gamble with Clinton that enabled Trump to have an easier time weaseling his way in with an EC vote.

idav

Being
Premium Member
OPINION:
Obviously both
QUESTION:
How many shutdowns have we had over the years?
HOWEVER:
The %.016 of alleged but probably not Russian twitter bots spamming up the Internet undermining our democracy teamed up with the NRA are probably the real ones to blame, along with KKKonservative "Christians". (I feel like I need to wash my mouth out with soap now)
END RESULT:
Shutdown won't last long and the wind will still blow and the grass will still grow.

Fun fact, a shutdown has never occurred when a single party has majority over all the branches of government.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Oct 7, 2013.......................................................................................................Sep 20, 2013

"Trump says we need a government shutdown. Here's what's happened in the past

(May 7, 2017)

It’s a political gambit that President Trump seems to think will pay off: Let the federal government grind to a halt.

“Our country needs a good ‘shutdown’ in September to fix mess,” he tweeted last week.

The unconventional proclamation from the unconventional president raised concern from both sides of the aisle."
source

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Replying to myself.

Ok, so apparently it’s a rule that the Senate must have 60 votes to end debate (cloture) on a bill before it can actually be voted on (which only requires a simple majority). This goes for most legislation, but notably not Supreme Court nominees. It appears that this rule is essentially a codification of the filibuster, but without the need to actually keep talking. At least that’s how I understand it.

Personally, I think it’s a stupid rule that gums up government working.

I understand that the minority party would get steamrolled without it though.
Absolutely the minority would get steamrolled. The key to not mucking up the process is to negotiate. It’s bad enough there would be budget cuts across all the departments save for defense. Negotiating for the dreamers would have been instant win for republicans. There was even talk that the Dems may have allowed budget for the dumb border wall.

As to how fair the filibuster it is my opinion that getting 60% approval is not too much to ask. Though I’d be happy if it were 55. Given the number of republicans that didn’t vote for trumps budget they couldn’t even get 55% agreement. These folks are supposed to represent the populace and sadly enough that is often not the reality, which goes back to the minority being steamrolled which wouldn’t be fair for either party. All the 51% to 49% stuff kind of grinds my gears. Nothing is ever that black and white but it sure is when the proposals are so one sided.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No saints here. Democrats are playing hardball just as much as their brothers in red. Both deserve responsibility since this is a team sport.
People are going to think you're my sock puppet.....if it weren't for your superior likeability.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not think blame is the right word. Unless some Republicans had not voted against their own party the shut down vote result would be impossible.

suncowiam

His support from the black vote was increasing, and Hillary it turned out didn't perform well garnering the female vote. "Race is thicker than gender" is how Bill Maher described the results.

They no doubt would have. But it would have motivated those further Left than moderates and Liberals, rather than alienating them like Hillary had done.

I would have had to suck in my stomach to vote for Bernie. He was the last democratic I wanted being a liberal moderate.

He talks the talk but that's about it. His idealologies are in the realm of utopian science fiction. Yeah, it's easy to agree in giving out to the poor but then reality hits and where is all that money and resources going to come from?

Stop with the Bernie nonsense. He lost probably because of the DNC. Who knows. Hillary lost, probably because of the Russians or Comey. Who knows. Get over it and move on.

Last edited:

suncowiam

Ok, I voted Bernie Sanders because he forced some votes away from Clinton. And only because of what happened two years ago is why we are having a shutdown now.

Damn you, BERNIEEEE SANDERRRSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!