• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

grammar police (yet another rant)

Aqualung

Tasty
There seem to be a growing number of grammer police here recently. People are always picking on my because I didn't use the exact right word, or because I didn't say things exactly precicely enough, or because I was redundant, or because I said something unimportant. :bonk: Seriously. People can still get the picture.

gnomon

Aqualung said:
There seem to be a growing number of grammer police here recently. People are always picking on my because I didn't use the exact right word, or because I didn't say things exactly precicely enough, or because I was redundant, or because I said something unimportant. :bonk: Seriously. People can still get the picture.
You misspelled precisely.:bounce

I know that my own mechanics are pretty horendous at times.

Reactions: FFH

Flappycat

Aqualung said:
Personally, I don't care as long as it's compreehinsable.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
If it's something minor, I can usually keep my mouth shut. But things nobody should leave middle school without knowing (their/there/they're, to/two/too, etc) drives me up the walls.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
oh, i feel bad now, i just picked jeff up on one of his spelling mistakes in another thread, but it did make for a funny read ;)

mr.guy

crapsack
People are always picking on my because I didn't use the exact right word, or because I didn't say things exactly precicely enough, or because I was redundant, or because I said something unimportant.
Why's that a problem? It's opportunity to refine your means of concise expressionalism. As someone who's frequently accused of redundant, off-topic, inflamatory or incoherent statements, i can certainly sympathise; but as flappycat has so generously pointed out to me in the past, the fault (in part, i think) is my own. Personally, i appreciate the chance to review and better express my own scrambled coherency.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
My degree is in English, so I notice everything! I never say anything, though. If I can understand the point someone's trying to get across, I can let the grammar and spelling go.

Fluffy

A fool
Why's that a problem? It's opportunity to refine your means of concise expressionalism. As someone who's frequently accused of redundant, off-topic, inflamatory or incoherent statements, i can certainly sympathise; but as flappycat has so generously pointed out to me in the past, the fault (in part, i think) is my own. Personally, i appreciate the chance to review and better express my own scrambled coherency.
You can start by capitalising your i's :).

mr.guy

crapsack
Katzpur said:
I never say anything, though. If I can understand the point someone's trying to get across, I can let the grammar and spelling go.
Irregardless of vocabulary, though?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I'm a silent member of the grammar police. I try not to correct people, because no one likes to be corrected. I will watch, observe, cringe at the mistakes, laugh it off, and continue on. (This all happens within an instant) *smiles* Sometimes I let my own grammar slide, but it's hard to relax about it.

(I went to private schools all my life, so they drill it into you... damn them! *shakes fist*)

Ody

I'm ticked off by your constant complaining, but i don't start a 'rant' thread about it.... but then again
I should not expect more from one who declared he/she would never change her/his core beliefs :)

Circle_One

Aqualung said:
I, like Jensa, tend to shy away from it if it's an understandable mistake but, again like her, if it's the difference between their/they're/there, two/too/to, OR if I see someone misspelling the same word, over and over again, then maybe I'll speak up. I understand this can be annoying for those who are doing the misspelling, but wouldn't you rather know how to spell the word correctly, rather than going through your whole life never properly learning how to spell said word? There's always room for improvement, on everyone's part. Personally, if I spell a word wrong, and it was not a simple typing error, I welcome the correction from someone else. I'd much rather know how to spell something correctly. Personally, when I spell a word wrong or make a mistake in punctuation, it absolutely drives me up the wall. I hate making grammatical errors, but that is, perhaps, because I'm a writer.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
mr.guy said:
Irregardless of vocabulary, though?
Yes, irregardless of vocabulary. :D I've learned to close my eyes and ears to mistakes of that sort. One person's strength is another person's weakness. Verbal skills happen to be my strength, that's all. In other areas, I'm terribly incompetent.

There is, however, a self-proclaimed "independent researcher" on the forum who doesn't seem to know that there is no such word as "diety." If someone is supposedly writing scholarly papers on the subject of religion, you'd think she'd learn to spell "deity" correctly. :biglaugh:

Bishka

Veteran Member
at least no one here talk like this:

lyk isnt dat kool??!?@!!!!111 omg, didnt u notace dat i cant spell n i lik bois?

I have met people in real life and online that only talk/spell/etc. like that. That will drive me insane.

As long as you can usually spell the words right, have pretty much good grammar(okay that's bad grammar), and speak like a normal human being, it's fine with me.

There are only a few here that don't do that, and they haven't lasted long, or don't post very often, so all in all, everyone here is fine.:)

turk179

I smell something....
turk179 said:
I aint got no idea what yous people be talkin bout.:p
I normally make a habit of clicking on the spell check button at the bottom of screen whenever I am about to post. I am still trying to figure out why I did it with the above post:eek: .

M

Majikthise

Fluffy said:
You can start by capitalising your i's :).
He doesn't want to be seen as a "capitalist"... Ba-da-boom!!:rolleyes:

But seriously, I like to keep things simple and to the point. I've never used the words "ad homonim" or "meme" because I really don't know how to use them properly. Say what you mean and mean what you say ,and there shouldn't be a problem.:D
And it doesn't hurt to keep a dictionary by you side.:eek: