• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greater purposes

ppp

Indifference is only the lack of Love, lack of the animating purpose of Life.
And a lack of hate. And love is not the animating purpose of life.

If you want life, one must Love as Jesus the Christ did.
Nah.

Love embraces respect, without Love you can not respect. To respect, one must admire an aspect in a person that eminates from Love.
Nah. You can respect people you hate, and people you are indifferent to. No love necessary.

But you may think anything that you wish.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It shows the electrochemical reactions in the brain that are love. I.e where love originates.
Originate means to have a specified beginning. Can you demonstrate what causes the electrochemical reactions in the brain?
If you say chemicals then you have to explain where the chemicals come from and why they react as they do.
No, they just have to show a mri scan of love which is evidence that can be falsified. Done that. Whether you accept it is up to you
That is not evidence of any kind showing where love originates. it just shows what the brain looks like when someone one is in love. Why for example do I love cats so much, what causes that emotion before it expresses itself in the brain?

I believe it is the soul that directs the body and brain. The soul cannot be perceived in the material world, except as it is expressed in outward signs and works. The body is visible, the soul is invisible. Nevertheless, it is the soul that directs human faculties. As outer circumstances are communicated to the soul by the eyes, ears, and brain, the soul communicates its desires through the brain to the physical body, which thereby expresses itself.

The soul works through the brain and while we are alive on earth in a physical body, but when we die and no longer have a physical body the soul continues to live. It lives forever, and that is why it is called an immortal soul.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You seem to be trying to treat "no greater purpose than personal happiness" as though it means, "Only personal happiness matters; the community doesn't matter; things that don't experience happiness don't matter either. It's all about me, me, me." Did you intend to do that?

Yes. That's what I was explaining to you - that's how I interpreted it. As a self-centered perspective that disregards all others where only personal happiness matters and nobody else matters.

But why, Quintessence, should anyone support a community that does not contribute to their personal happiness?

Lots of reasons, but that doesn't really matter. It's kind of an inevitability; everything is interconnected and individuals cannot help but to support/contribute to a community. It's not really a question of "should" in that regard.

Yeah, I don't think that's true.

Keep in mind that when I say "community" I do not simply mean humans. Humans are good at being anthropocentric and pretty terrible at being ecocentric or really considering the whole community - hence our present sixth mass extinction crisis. It's also why I vehemently disagree with individuals first, community second. There's no individuals without the community, period.

ppp

Yes. That's what I was explaining to you - that's how I interpreted it.
Since the word 'greater' cannot apply outside a system of a hierarchical ranking of options, your interpreting its meaning as exclusive and singular is ill-reasoned.

Lots of reasons, but that doesn't really matter.
The only thing that matters are the reasons. The internet is full of humans making bald assertions, as though they are gracing the world with their insight and wisdom. Conclusions don't matter without substantiation.

It's kind of an inevitability; everything is interconnected and individuals cannot help but to support/contribute to a community. It's not really a question of "should" in that regard.
That is obviously false.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Originate means to have a specified beginning. Can you demonstrate what causes the electrochemical reactions in the brain?
If you say chemicals then you have to explain where the chemicals come from and why they react as they do.

That is not evidence of any kind showing where love originates. it just shows what the brain looks like when someone one is in love. Why for example do I love cats so much, what causes that emotion before it expresses itself in the brain?

I believe it is the soul that directs the body and brain. The soul cannot be perceived in the material world, except as it is expressed in outward signs and works. The body is visible, the soul is invisible. Nevertheless, it is the soul that directs human faculties. As outer circumstances are communicated to the soul by the eyes, ears, and brain, the soul communicates its desires through the brain to the physical body, which thereby expresses itself.

The soul works through the brain and while we are alive on earth in a physical body, but when we die and no longer have a physical body the soul continues to live. It lives forever, and that is why it is called an immortal soul.

Believe what makes you happy or ask a neuroscientist

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That is obviously false.

You're going to have to explain that one to me. Explain to me how you don't contribute to a community.

Do you breathe air? Eat food? Defecate? All of those things contribute to a community. Never mind the fact that you are posting on this forum, which is a contribution to a human community if you must limit to that. And that you probably have a job. Or relationships with other people. All of which are contributions to a community.

it's obviously false that you don't contribute to many, many communities by sheer virtue of existing. Again, the universe is interconnected. You, as an individual, are not some 100% isolated and closed system. Even if you were, you do know that a lot of you isn't you? Your intestine is literally home to a vast community of microorganisms.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

That is obviously false.

Correct and this is a part of how the world works. False exists and I have learned to do false according to your world view. The joke is that I have been doing it for over 20+ years now and I am still here.
So I doubt how obvious it is, how false it is.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Believe what makes you happy or ask a neuroscientist
Some of what is called love originates from conditions in the brain, or what Baha'is call our animal component. There is also love from a spiritual source, and that is the best kind of love. It can be hard to distinguish between the two sometimes. Most of the human love in the world right now seems to me to arise from the animal side of men and women.

Try to avoid scientism, a blind belief that science explains everything, or that what scientists say about the facts they uncover is true.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Nope, definitely the production of the love emotion, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary
Can you provide evidence that all love comes from chemistry in the brain? Are you a neuroscientist yourself that has the proof? Is there any solid reason to believe that the spiritual world doesn't exist, and the material world is all that exists?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Some of what is called love originates from conditions in the brain, or what Baha'is call our animal component. There is also love from a spiritual source, and that is the best kind of love. It can be hard to distinguish between the two sometimes. Most of the human love in the world right now seems to me to arise from the animal side of men and women.

Try to avoid scientism, a blind belief that science explains everything, or that what scientists say about the facts they uncover is true.

I eagerly await your evidence

ChristineM

Premium Member
Can you provide evidence that all love comes from chemistry in the brain? Are you a neuroscientist yourself that has the proof? Is there any solid reason to believe that the spiritual world doesn't exist, and the material world is all that exists?

Show, with falsifiable evidence that the spiritual exists and i will willingly review that evidence

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Any individual who destroys her community is not supporting it.

Not really what I'm talking about, but still not true given the laws our universe operates by. Individuals are members of multiple communities, and in all cases there are transformations of energy (e.g., destruction is required for creation - it's kind of a law of physics). But if you've figured out how to eat food and sustain your biological functioning without destroying living tissue, there's probably a Nobel Prize in it for you.