• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greater purposes

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is obvious that Love is real, as it occurs as fact.

We know it exists, because if we choose not to Love we are capable of Hate, if we do not want to hate, we have to find Love.

But where is Love, if it is not part of the Spirit we possess as humans? Love also best defines what is a perfect human.

Now animals and plants will be defined by the virtues that they eminate.

But where are the virtues?

Regards Tony

Love is an emotion caused by chemical processes. Those process can be measured and observed.

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
Love is an emotion caused by chemical processes. Those process can be measured and observed.

I see Love can be measured and observed by the chemical processes, but not yet considered as to the source. They are a proof Love exists.

It could be that Love is the electrical impulse that triggers the chemical process, which means Love is the Real force of emotions.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't see how a precise definition is interpreted any different than the words it contains
The words that the definition contains also have to be interpreted, so if you think that spiritual things are imagined or supposed and I do not think they are imagined or supposed, the word real will mean some thing different to you than it means to me.

Real : actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My language is based on dictionary definition, or definitions
Not make believe.

A dictionary definition shows the meaning or meaning of the word.

Using the accepted definitions avoids confusion.

But if i am not to use definition then how am to communicate and understand what people mean?

That's not what dictionaries do or how they work, but to answer your question?

You ask people. And after that (more importantly) listen and accept what they tell you instead of arguing about it. Grant their perspective room to breathe so one can move forward with understanding.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The words that the definition contains also have to be interpreted, so if you think that spiritual things are imagined or supposed and I do not think they are imagined or supposed, the word real will mean some thing different to you than it means to me.

Real : actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.

Words have meaning, without meaning anarchy reigns

ChristineM

Premium Member
That's not what dictionaries do or how they work, but to answer your question?

You ask people. And after that (more importantly) listen and accept what they tell you instead of arguing about it. Grant their perspective room to breathe so one can move forward with understanding.

Definitions define words.

I have no problem with anyone's perspective if they use the correct words to describe it. As can be seen in this thread. When the wrong words are used then misunderstanding is bound to occur

ppp

Saying "is there a greater purpose than personal happiness" to me implies that only one person's happiness matters when it comes to life's purpose. It is a self-referential statement, only considering the individual ego or self. Only personal happiness matters; the community doesn't matter; things that don't experience happiness don't matter either. It's all about me, me, me. That is what the statement says and implies from my perspective: there's nothing greater than me, me, me, and my needs. Narcissism, to put another word to it.
You seem to be trying to treat "no greater purpose than personal happiness" as though it means, "Only personal happiness matters; the community doesn't matter; things that don't experience happiness don't matter either. It's all about me, me, me." Did you intend to do that? Because they are not even remotely the same thing.

We are social animals, and our personal happiness is tied up in our communities. Which is why most of us gain personal happiness from supporting our communities. How ever we define them. But why, Quintessence, should anyone support a community that does not contribute to their personal happiness?
I understand that this sort of self-centered perspective is very engrained in the thinking of most English-speaking people, especially Americans.
Yeah, I don't think that's true. It's the meat of cautionary tales, passion plays, and back-in-my-day nostalgia. But when I get a flat on the highway, people stop. When my grocery bag breaks, board rats run over to catch the cans rolling across the parking lot. When I forget to turn off the water in my garden, my neighbor calls me.
I look at community and ecosystem first, individuals second.
I look at individuals first, then community second. If my community is not serving the individual, then the community needs to change. This is why I said "slavery" earlier. If one looks at a thriving society that is built on an enslaved minority with a community first/individual second then one would oppose the abolitionists. I strongly reject that position.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But no scientist has ever determined where love originates.

The mind is not the brain. Scientists understand how the brain functions but the workings of the human mind is still a mystery. I believe it is a mystery because the mind is connected to the soul and the soul is a mystery.

I believe that love has its origins in the soul and then it is expressed through the mind and brain, while we are alive in a physical body.

ppp

We know it exists, because if we choose not to Love we are capable of Hate, if we do not want to hate, we have to find Love.
You forget indifference.

But where is Love, if it is not part of the Spirit we possess as humans? Love also best defines what is a perfect human.
It's an emotion. Respect is more perfect than love. I'm a big fan of love. Amorous. Filial. Brotherly. Paternal. But love is a binder, and a foundation, not a structure.

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
But then the words WITHIN the definitions have to be defined.

@ ChristineM

About meanings of words and also about the word Sun and it many meanings this has been offered;

"... Every word sent down from the heaven of Divine Revelation, He stated, is filled with soft-flowing rivers of divine mysteries and wisdom. Bahá’u’lláh also gave in detail, in response to the questioner, several meanings pertaining to the word 'sun', adding that this word has so many other meanings that if ten secretaries were to record His explanations for a period of one or two years, He would still not exhaust its significance.

Know assuredly that just as thou firmly believest that the Word of God, exalted be His glory, endureth for ever, thou must, likewise, believe with undoubting faith that its meaning can never be exhausted. They who are its appointed interpreters, they whose hearts are the repositories of its secrets, are, however, the only ones who can comprehend its manifold wisdom... "

Thus Love is the same, there are many meanings and each meaning has other meanings. Thus meaning can in no way be fully defined by our finite minds, unless we choose to limit our mind to a single meaning, or a single name.

Regards Tony

ChristineM

Premium Member
But no scientist has ever determined where love originates.

The mind is not the brain. Scientists understand how the brain functions but the workings of the human mind is still a mystery. I believe it is a mystery because the mind is connected to the soul and the soul is a mystery.

I believe that love has its origins in the soul and then it is expressed through the mind and brain, while we are alive in a physical body.

MRI scan love
Screen-Shot-2015-03-19-at-10.25.32-AM1.png

ChristineM

Premium Member
Thus Love is the same, there are many meanings and each meaning has other meanings. Thus meaning can in no way be fully defined by our finite minds, unless we choose to limit our mind to a single meaning, or a single name.

There be dragons

ChristineM

Premium Member
And so? What does that show?
It does not show where love originates. People can believe it originates in the brain if they want to, but then they have to explain the workings of the human mind... Good luck with that.

It shows the electrochemical reactions in the brain that are love. I.e where love originates.

No, they just have to show a mri scan of love which is evidence that can be falsified. Done that. Whether you accept it is up to you

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
You forget indifference.

Indifference is only the lack of Love, lack of the animating purpose of Life.

We can choose indifference, when all the while Love is the purpose that allows us to live.

That is why Jesus the Christ offered you can be dead, while living this life. Let the dead, bury the dead.

If you want life, one must Love as Jesus the Christ did.

It's an emotion. Respect is more perfect than love. I'm a big fan of love. Amorous. Filial. Brotherly. Paternal. But love is a binder, and a foundation, not a structure.

Love embraces respect, without Love you can not respect. To respect, one must admire an aspect in a person that eminates from Love.

So the question is, can you respect if you do not have Love?

With Love, respect for every person can be shown, without Love respect is very limited.

Love that does not contain respect, is not Love.

Regards Tony