• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greater purposes

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That is mental and not physical. You are proving my point.

I see no problem with ignoring you when you go off on a woo rant and make **** up to massage your ego.

If you want a discussion without make believe and woo then ok. Otherwise, you know the score

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
WHAT IS REAL?

To the man whose mind is occupied exclusively with the things of the natural world, the spiritual world seems only imaginary, a "myth." The natural man in everyone doubts the reality of the spiritual world and life after death. Although everyone is living in the spiritual world as to his spirit, we are not conscious of the things which appear in the spiritual realm until after the death of the physical body.

Spiritual Reality
You therefore have knowledge of what Baha'u'llah wrote. No knowledge of the unknown and unknowable
I have knowledge what would otherwise be unknown and unknowable because Baha'u'llah had that knowledge.
Baha'u'llah did not reveal everything He knew, so I do not know everything He knew, but I have knowledge of whatever He chose to reveal. That means I know that there is an afterlife, but I do not know the nature of the afterlife, because Baha'u'llah chose not to reveal that for reasons He stated.

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.

As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 345-346

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, speaking of ego, I confess I'm rather shocked that in eleven pages it seems nobody has considered this question from a non-egocentric standpoint. I thought it was pretty obvious to most that the purposes of the many are greater than the purposes of a single individual (numerically, if nothing else). :shrug:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Slavery. Where the purposes of the many are greater than the purposes of the few. Or the one. (numerically, if nothing else).

Well, that's not where my brain went with that, but if that's where yours wants to go... okay? Whatever?

ppp

Well, that's not where my brain went with that, but if that's where yours wants to go... okay? Whatever?
We belong to a species where one of the most common abuses - both historically and in the present - is the tyranny of the majority. When one proposes a principle, one should consider it's most obvious (and proven) implications.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no point, you ignore definitions, you ignore logic, you make stuff up, you move the goalposts.

Well, ultimately we're all just "making stuff up." That's part of their point, probably. To get folks to see how their perspectives rest on various assumptions that themselves cannot be proven. It's a philosophy thing.

ChristineM

Premium Member
WHAT IS REAL?

To the man whose mind is occupied exclusively with the things of the natural world, the spiritual world seems only imaginary, a "myth." The natural man in everyone doubts the reality of the spiritual world and life after death. Although everyone is living in the spiritual world as to his spirit, we are not conscious of the things which appear in the spiritual realm until after the death of the physical body.

Spiritual Reality

I have knowledge what would otherwise be unknown and unknowable because Baha'u'llah had that knowledge.
Baha'u'llah did not reveal everything He knew, so I do not know everything He knew, but I have knowledge of whatever He chose to reveal. That means I know that there is an afterlife, but I do not know the nature of the afterlife, because Baha'u'llah chose not to reveal that for reasons He stated.

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.

As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 345-346

Sheesh. You are promoting an oxymoron

Real : actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.

Spiritual : relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things

Right, i really don't care. You are happy believing you know What is unknown and unknowable. It makes no sense whatsoever to me but hey, your life.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
We belong to a species where one of the most common abuses - both historically and in the present - is the tyranny of the majority. When one proposes a principle, one should consider it's most obvious (and proven) implications.

I still don't follow you or see what this has to do with what I wrote. Maybe I didn't state things right. Let me restate, because your response is really confusing to me and has nothing to do with what I intended to communicate.

The OP asks "is there a greater purpose than personal happiness." To me an obvious response is "yes, the happiness of many persons rather than just one person - the universe isn't all about your own ego and your own needs." I don't follow how that observation has anything to do with slavery.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There is no point, you ignore definitions, you ignore logic, you make stuff up, you move the goalposts.

I have given definitions:
Here are again for objective:
Definition of OBJECTIVE
Use 1A, 2A and 2B
Now combine with these ones for physicals:
Definition of PHYSICAL
Use 2A and 2B
And now compare with mental:
Definition of MENTAL
Use 1A, 1D and 1F

And then apply those to this: "There is no point..."
Is that objective/physical or mental?

Please answer and any ignoring or what not I will treat as mental, unless you apply objective and physical.

Can you wrap your mind around that the meaning of the universe, life and everything for all answers are mental, because you can't use evidence as objective and physical?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well, ultimately we're all just "making stuff up." That's part of their point, probably. To get folks to see how their perspectives rest on various assumptions that themselves cannot be proven. It's a philosophy thing.

"Well, ultimately we're all just "making stuff up."
Speak for yourself

When making stuff up includes lying then i draw the line. And yes. There has been lying to message egos. To provoke argument based on misrepresentation.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Sheesh. You are promoting an oxymoron

Real : actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.

Spiritual : relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things

Right, i really don't care. You are happy believing you know What is unknown and unknowable. It makes no sense whatsoever to me but hey, your life.

That bold one is not real, because it is not a thing or a fact!!!

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Speak for yourself

When making stuff up includes lying then i draw the line. And yes. There has been lying to message egos. To provoke argument based on misrepresentation.

You can't use evidence on everything and that you demand evidence is as a demand without evidence. You use a subjective standard and won't stand by that.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Speak for yourself

Nah, this is basic philosophy 101 type stuff, really. It's not about me. Or you.

To be fair, framing it as "making stuff up" isn't a good way to put it, but those were your words so I figured I'd borrow them. It's more accurate to say that the conclusions humans draw about the world are based on experience but that these observations are ultimately subjective in nature (aka, "made up" sort of). Just like declarations about purpose are, to connect this back to the topic of the OP.