• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greater purposes

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So not factual obviously, you have no evidence to claim fact, that excludes all definition of truth except one

"A fact or belief that is accepted as true."

So back to the beginning, you believe. Thanks for that

Which definition of truth are you using:
Truth | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

https://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/truth
"The many meanings of truth
..."

Come one. Give us the truth that there is only one truth and that you have it objectively and not because you choose that one that makes subjectively sense to you.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
All you need to do is provide evidence. Never happened yet and i don't expect it in the future.

But still people keep blaming atheist for not believing woo is real

But it is real, because you are reacting to it and we are acting on it. It must be real otherwise we couldn't do this. Our beliefs are real.
I know that because I am really really acting on them. Unless this is not happening, but it is really happening, right? So it must be real?!!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Which definition of truth are you using:
Truth | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

https://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/truth
"The many meanings of truth
..."

Come one. Give us the truth that there is only one truth and that you have it objectively and not because you choose that one that makes subjectively sense to you.

I am almost sure you can read. I quoted the only definition of truth that applied to @Trailblazer claim. It seems in your haste to be picky you missed it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
But it is real, because you are reacting to it and we are acting on it. It must be real otherwise we couldn't do this. Our beliefs are real.
I know that because I am really really acting on them. Unless this is not happening, but it is really happening, right? So it must be real?!!

Again, reading solves all your problems

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So not factual obviously, you have no evidence to claim fact, that excludes all definition of truth except one

"A fact or belief that is accepted as true."

So back to the beginning, you believe. Thanks for that
I am not claiming a fact, but I can still know according to the definition of know.........
It says truth or factuality.

2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of

I am aware of the truth of what I believe because of the evidence I have.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am not claiming a fact, but I can still know according to the definition of know.........
It says truth or factuality.

2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of

I am aware of the truth of what I believe because of the evidence I have.

The only definition of truth that can apply to your claim clearly states belief.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Apparently in your haste you missed this:

What is the full meaning of truth?
(Entry 1 of 2) 1a(1) : the body of real things, events, and facts : actuality. (2) : the state of being the case : fact. (3) often capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality.

Truth | Definition of Truth by Merriam-Webster

I actually use british English. Not American English but thats the point

What the hell is s spiritual reality???

And we are talking knowledge, truth is incidental

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
All you need to do is provide evidence. Never happened yet and i don't expect it in the future.
Evidence has been provided many times. Just because you don't consider it evidence, that does not mean it is NOT evidence.

Just because it is not evidence to you that does not mean it us NOT evidence to someone else.

Evidence: anything that helps to prove that something is or is not true: EVIDENCE | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid: https://www.google.com/search

ChristineM

Premium Member
Evidence has been provided many times. Just because you don't consider it evidence, that does not mean it is NOT evidence.

Just because it is not evidence to you that does not mean it us NOT evidence to someone else.

Evidence: anything that helps to prove that something is or is not true: EVIDENCE | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid: https://www.google.com/search

That googled link is Google's copy of the OED

Oh and we can all cherry pick

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What the hell is s spiritual reality???
Spiritual Reality | Bahá’í Quotes

Knowing: The Power Of Spiritual Reality

There is a fundamental difference between believing, having faith, and knowing something to be true. These distinctions need to be made if we wish to invite sublime possibilities into our lives.

Knowing: The Power Of Spiritual Reality

What I have been trying to say is in the article:

“When we know something to be true, just like you know what your name is, you have no need to prove or fight or coerce others into believing it too. Your knowing simply is. For when we know something to be true we are elevated to the plane of the most profound perception of reality. We all have the capacity to know or experience a truth, to engage with it directly and know it on a visceral level. Truth is not the province of the few but of the many.”
And we are talking knowledge, truth is incidental
I have knowledge according to 2.

knowledge;

1. facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

2. awareness or familiarity gained by experience of a fact or situation.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=knowledge+means

ppp

This sounds like you are of the "It's true to you" crowd. That there is no objective reality. Things are true simple because you say they are.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ahh, "Bahá’í Quotes" so nothing defined then?
I could not find a definition, but I would say that spiritual reality is the non-physical reality.
Can you please explain how you have knowledge based on experience or fact of the unknown and unknowable,
I am not playing with dictionary definitions anymore...
I got my knowledge of God and the afterlife and the spiritual reality from what Baha'u'llah wrote.

Here is what Baha'u'llah wrote about knowledge:

“Know verily that Knowledge is of two kinds: Divine and Satanic. The one welleth out from the fountain of divine inspiration; the other is but a reflection of vain and obscure thoughts. The source of the former is God Himself; the motive-force of the latter the whisperings of selfish desire. The one is guided by the principle: “Fear ye God; God will teach you;” 29 the other is but a confirmation of the truth: “Knowledge is the most grievous veil between man and his Creator.” The former bringeth forth the fruit of patience, of longing desire, of true understanding, and love; whilst the latter can yield naught but arrogance, vainglory and conceit.” The Kitáb-i-Íqán, p. 69

What He was saying is that knowledge can be a veil preventing recognition of Baha’u’llah because people who think they know everything are often haughty and vainglorious. That does not mean education is not highly commendable but it is not necessary to recognize Baha’u’llah, and some of the most pure souls were uneducated.

Just so you do not get the wrong impression, below is what Baha'ullah wrote about the importance of education:

“Man is the supreme Talisman. Lack of a proper education hath, however, deprived him of that which he doth inherently possess. Through a word proceeding out of the mouth of God he was called into being; by one word more he was guided to recognize the Source of his education; by yet another word his station and destiny were safeguarded. The Great Being saith: Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures, and enable mankind to benefit therefrom.” Gleanings, pp. 259-260

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This sounds like you are of the "It's true to you" crowd. That there is no objective reality. Things are true simple because you say they are.
I never said that things are true because I say they are true....

I said: Just because it is not evidence to you that does not mean it us NOT evidence to someone else.
Do you understand what I mean?

There is an objective reality but it indicates different things to different people.
For example, the objective reality (facts) surrounding the Revelation of Baha'u'llah is evidence that indicates to me that He was a Messenger of God, but it does not indicate that to other people.