• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greater purposes

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I know about God and the afterlife because of what Baha'u'llah wrote.
There is also other evidence of the afterlife, or should I say "what I consider to be evidence."

So back to the beginning, you believe. You cannot know, to know about the the unknowable (supernatural) is a logical fallacy.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So back to the beginning, you believe. You cannot know, to know about the the unknowable (supernatural) is a logical fallacy.
I do know. How I know is not something you will ever understand, unless you come to know as I know.

Definition of know
  1. 1a(1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of importance of knowing oneself(3): to recognize the nature of : discernb(1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known(2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of
  2. 2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain ofb: to have a practical understanding of knows how to write
  3. 3archaic: to have sexual intercourse with
  4. intransitive verb
  5. 1: to have knowledge
  6. 2: to be or become cognizant —sometimes used interjectionally with you especially as a filler in informal speech
Definition of KNOW

ChristineM

Premium Member
So something unreal resulted in something real, namely you answering. So the unreal actually happens, because you really understood that it happened and acted on it, thought it is all in your mind, because it is really unreal.

Woo

ChristineM

Premium Member
I do know. How I know is not something you will ever understand, unless you come to know as I know.

Definition of know
  1. 1a(1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of importance of knowing oneself(3): to recognize the nature of : discernb(1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known(2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of
  2. 2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain ofb: to have a practical understanding of knows how to write
  3. 3archaic: to have sexual intercourse with
  4. intransitive verb
  5. 1: to have knowledge
  6. 2: to be or become cognizant —sometimes used interjectionally with you especially as a filler in informal speech
Definition of KNOW

Not one of that comprehensive list even considers the unknown, the supernatural or god magic.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
@Trailblazer

Here is a fun example of the "crazy" belief of some non-religious believer.

Reality: the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

So here is how it goes:
Me: I believe in God.
One of them: That is not real, not a part of reality and without evidence.
Me: Then how do you explain that that it is not real and all the rest, if this debate about that takes places in reality. I.e. my thoughts travel through things like a keyboard and computer to your real monitor and you understand and answer - it is not a part of reality.

The joke is that I believe in God actual exists otherwise we couldn't do this. Including their belief in the heads that reality is just the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

I can act on an an idealistic or notional idea of them otherwise they couldn't answer and point out that I do that. And somehow that is not a part of reality. :D

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
One of them does.....
2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of.

Yes, it says so: be convinced or certain of.

Here is another version of knowledge:
To know that and to know how.
I know that I believe in God and I know how to do that: I just do it as been convinced or certain and I am that.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The problem as I see it is that atheists cannot even consider the possibility that things can actually exist outside of the material world.

Here it is in the short version for metaphysical physicalism. It is not possible one to one to reduce the mental down to the physical.
How? All claims about that it can be done it, are not physical, they are mental.

You can always catch them making mental rules about only the physical being real, but being real is a mental rule.

ChristineM

Premium Member
One of them does.....
2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of.

So not factual obviously, you have no evidence to claim fact, that excludes all definition of truth except one

"A fact or belief that is accepted as true."

So back to the beginning, you believe. Thanks for that

ChristineM

Premium Member
The problem as I see it is that atheists cannot even consider the possibility that things can actually exist outside of the material world.

All you need to do is provide evidence. Never happened yet and i don't expect it in the future.

But still people keep blaming atheist for not believing woo is real