• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings exchanged between Muslim & non-Muslim

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The scholars differed on this matter, because when Prophet Mohammed instructed the Muslims not to say Salam to the *people of the book* at that time who were only Jews in that area, it was because some Jews used to pass by and say to the Muslims Alsaam alikum (omitting the lam "L") and it means "Death" instead of Alsalaam Alikum, which means peace, but many muslims didn't notice till Prophet Mohammed told them not to greet them using "salam" because the Jews at that time were wishing death for muslims instead of peace.

Keep in mind that the hadith talked about the people of the book "Jews at that area and that time near to the Muslims". Why Prophet Mohammed didn't say don't say salam to ALL non-muslims?

That's why i think this ruling was only applicable to the people of the book at that time who didn't deserve this greeting.

I also remember one hadith "after this incident of the Jews" where Prophet Mohammed was walking with his wife Asiah, and some Jews passed by and said the same thing "death be upon you" then Asiah responded saying "and death and curse of Allah be upon you", but prophet Mohammed prevented her from doing so because he told us how Allah don't like these types of talks, and he adviced her to just say "and upon you", so no matter what the person in front of you said, you would wish him the same in case you didn't hear whether he said sam "death" or salam "peace", just to be safe.

Today, if a non-muslim wished peace for me so i should wish him the same, and vice versa, and that is just my opinion of course, because i'm not a scholar.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
If I'm understanding the article correctly, a muslim may greet me with "Salam" or "Peace" if they had a "need" for me. However, if they have no need with me they are to use, "Assalamu ala man ittaba’a al-huda" or "may peace be upon the guided ones". Apparently, the later is used to not show respect towards me. I'd like to get a muslim's view on this before I jump to any conclusions. It would be interesting to know how a muslim is supposed to distinguish who in the group may potentially be a muslim, non-muslim, Jew, Christian, or an idolator? Probably just wait for me to greet them first, I reckon.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The OP was a sincere attempt to understand proper protocol, not an invitation to debate. I do not wish to greet someone in such a way as to place them in an awkward situation, nor do I wish to insult someone by not responding appropriately.

It was sloppy of me not to place it in the Islam forum. My apologies.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's why i didn't like that article Ringer, and i feel sad that it was written by a Muslim who appear to be an imam or something. What you read there is not true and have no basis in islam. He quoted some true hadiths but then he interpreted it on his own way, added his own view using these hadiths as a false backup. I think the part you mentioned especially was really ridiculous, and i assure you, it's not islamic.

I also hope that you already read my previous post which raised the greeting issue in islamic history in the first place.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
That's why i didn't like that article Ringer, and i feel sad that it was written by a Muslim who appear to be an imam or something. What you read there is not true and have no basis in islam. He quoted some true hadiths but then he interpreted it on his own way, added his own view using these hadiths as a false backup. I think the part you mentioned especially was really ridiculous, and i assure you, it's not islamic.

I also hope that you already read my previous post which raised the greeting issue in islamic history in the first place.

Unfortunately, I posted my message before I had a chance to read yours. I got the vibe from reading it that most muslims would object to much of what he said. With that being said, as a general rule of thumb, is it best to wish muslim friends "peace" and expect the same in return?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
With that being said, as a general rule of thumb, is it best to wish muslim friends "peace" and expect the same in return?

Absolutely. What i'm sure of though is that, if you started saying salam alikum "peace be upon you" to a muslim, he would either say walikum alsalam "and peace be upon you too" in return, or just walikum "and upon you too" as a traditional way of greeting non-muslims based on teachings of some interpreters.

A

angellous_evangellous

But would it change the meaning and cause distress if you expounded on that and said ...

"howdy PARTNER"?????

Love

Dallas

Well, it wouldn't change the reaction. Someone being offended by a friendly hello is about as anal retentive as one can possibly be. The appropriate response can only be a kick in the pants..

One day no one will be moody about a hello - until then we can meditate on this.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And, given ...
... it was because some Jews used to pass by and say to the Muslims Alsaam alikum (omitting the lam "L") and it means "Death".
would it work when addressing those despicable (you know who)? After all, its important that these things are respectful of antisemitic folklore.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Well, it wouldn't change the reaction. Someone being offended by a friendly hello is about as anal retentive as one can possibly be. The appropriate response can only be a kick in the pants..

One day no one will be moody about a hello - until then we can meditate on this.

But what if I try to kick them in the pants and they do a succesful block and take me by the leg and flip me over their back into the ground?...

Is it THEN O.K for me to say "goodbye" ? Or should I say "shalam goodbye" ?

Love

Dallas

A

angellous_evangellous

But what if I try to kick them in the pants and they do a succesful block and take me by the leg and flip me over their back into the ground?...

Daggumit, Dallas.

I never had a person do that to me. The trick is to do it fast.

When someone says hello to me and I don't appreciate it, I say "Shut yer ***" :p And I've never been kicked.