• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hangups with Monogamy

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suppose we all have experiences. I raised two kids in a "Broken" environment. And now I have two children in a stable home with my current husband. The difference is night and day.

We can always fall back on statistics. Statistics show that children living in a single parent home have alot of issues...the majority of prison inmates are from single parent homes. These children are prone to be depressed, on drugs and don't do as well in school. They have behavior problems, legal problems...and in general are born into an environment that is not beneficial for them.

Sometimes it is good to look at what a behavior does to your next generation before you advocate it.

Causation and correlation. Who cares if there's a difference, right?

ckww

Do Southern Baptists disapprove of birth control? Because if it's used properly, then you really have very chance of an unwanted pregnancy.

We use birth control.

But it seems to me that the more people use sex without considering the consequences and acknowledging the responsibility of the possible outcome...the more people have babies out of wedlock. Birth control doesn't seem to work when the attitude is rather irresponsible in the first place.

Ah geeze...then you have abortions. Killing the lives of the babies you create so that you are unhindered with the responsibility.

Casual sex is just a bad thing. Plain irresponsible. And in my opinion...doesn't create happiness or health.

Many Sages One Truth

There is nothing inherently wrong about having children out of wedlock in and of itself, unless you want to bring some religion's views on it into the equation. I don't see how having a child out of wedlock is inherently wrong or destructive.

ckww

There is nothing inherently wrong about having children out of wedlock in and of itself, unless you want to bring some religion's views on it into the equation. I don't see how having a child out of wedlock is inherently wrong or destructive.
Its been shown to be an unhealthy environment for kids and it creates poverty. Look at any pockets of poverty and despair in the U.S...and you will find casual sex rampant.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Casual sex is just a bad thing. Plain irresponsible. And in my opinion...doesn't create happiness or health.

In my opinion, casual sex is better for both happiness and health than, say, practicing a religion.

Many Sages One Truth

Its been shown to be an unhealthy environment for kids and it creates poverty. Look at any pockets of poverty and despair in the U.S...and you will find casual sex rampant.

Is having a single parent and a happy home more destructive then having a mother and a father who hate each other and make the children watch their abuse?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well...perhaps on your personal experience. But I doubt you could find statistics that verify that.

I doubt you could find statistics opposing it either. That is, there are probably no statistics one way or the other on that specific question.

If casual sex doesn't work for you, then don't have it. But don't oppose it for others if it works for them. Statements along the lines of "Casual sex leads to unhappiness for everyone" are arrogant.

Many Sages One Truth

To me calling sex "casual" as though to somehow imply that's wrong, is kind of absurd. Humans are wired for sex. Yes I agree there are times we shouldn't have sex, like rape for example, but let's use our reasoning here, since I believe reason is also a faculty God has given us. Sex between two consenting adults hurts no one else.

ckww

To me calling sex "casual" as though to somehow imply that's wrong, is kind of absurd. Humans are wired for sex. Yes I agree there are times we shouldn't have sex, like rape for example, but let's use our reasoning here, since I believe reason is also a faculty God has given us. Sex between two consenting adults hurts no one else.
Casual sex between adults committed to each other...is fun and healthy and hurts no one.

But casual sex between adults who don't intend to be committed to each other and who are simply gratifying themselves...does hurt our most vulnerable and our future.

I see it all the time. I've done it. Simply put....self-serving behavior does not end up well and is self-destructive. Its when human beings stop being animals and start choosing responsible behavior...behavior based on right and wrong instead of what feels good at the time....that society flourishes and grows.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Casual sex between adults committed to each other...is fun and healthy and hurts no one.

But casual sex between adults who don't intend to be committed to each other and who are simply gratifying themselves...does hurt our most vulnerable and our future.

I see it all the time. I've done it. Simply put....self-serving behavior does not end up well and is self-destructive. Its when human beings stop being animals and start choosing responsible behavior...behavior based on right and wrong instead of what feels good at the time....that society flourishes and grows.

Judgmentalism.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight

Soooo, how about formal sex? :p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No. Logical. Heck..it isn't even "religious". Its fact.

Please demonstrate that "But casual sex between adults who don't intend to be committed to each other and who are simply gratifying themselves...does hurt our most vulnerable and our future." and, "Its when human beings stop being animals and start choosing responsible behavior...behavior based on right and wrong instead of what feels good at the time....that society flourishes and grows" are factual claims and not just BS.

Last edited: