• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Indigenous Remerberance Day

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Potawatomi [Algonquin] and one [or more] of the Iroquois tribes in Quebec. With the latter, there's a large reservation about an hour's drive north of Hull but it contains several tribes, so we don't know which one or more that side came from as my great grandfather lived just off the reservation thus was likely married to a white, which was not at all unusual. When he moved to Michigan, he married another Indian to help him as a trapper & trader on the mainland just adjacent to Belle Isle in now what is part of Detroit.

Thanks for your reply as that's fascinating to me as well.
Ahhh, your connection is reasonably recent. That's wonderful. You have a better opportunity to explore and learn the history and traditions.

My blood connection goes back to about 1700. The Chowanoc tribe was absorbed by the English fairly quickly and has not been able to get the US government to recognize the ancestors. A few have gotten together in recent years and bought a tract of land that used to be part of the reservation. Here they gather for memorials, but as I said in the OP, the regalia used is "mixed." There’s no way to authenticate much from that long ago outside of archaeological findings which doesn't show dress and hair adornment. There is a little written information from English explorers of the 16th century, but of course has the English spin.

Clizby Wampuscat

Where I lived for many years, though I am still in the same state (PA), the indigenous people there were:

The white people here forced them out of their home/ hunting grounds and they ended up as part of the Iroquois confederacy.

I find it shocking how we treated these children of God, our brothers and sisters.
That is the nature of humanity. Indigenous people conquered other people groups too. Not saying it was right, just that it is human nature.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I have the same issues in my ancestry. The Chowanoc is known more through the history of my paternal grandmother's surname along with the documentation of that English settler, but it's a well documented connection to the Chowanoc and the once established reservation that coincides with the Tuscaroran Wars.

My African ancestry is a bigger mystery, though the DNA match is only 5 generations back.
I haven't a clue about my African ancestry as well. All I have discovered is that it's western/west coastal in origin. That knowlege doesn't help much.

Spice

I haven't a clue about my African ancestry as well. All I have discovered is that it's western/west coastal in origin. That knowlege doesn't help much.
Ours comes in as being from Mali, but what I'm more interested in is the how. I know most circumstances are the results of rape, however, from what we have been able to discover it's possibly not the situation here. Of course, speaking of 1807, it's not necessarily going to be any kind of love match either. All we know is "he" took off for Florida and left "them" looked after.

Shaul

Premium Member
I don't want to hear ANY American of European descent whine about illegal immigrants! The US has broken virtually EVERY TREATY they made with Native Americans.
Nonsense. Americans have treated the native Americans better than the native Americans treated native Americans from other tribes and far better than Europeans, Asians and Africans have treated outsiders.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
Americans have treated the native Americans better than the native Americans treated native Americans from other tribes and far better than Europeans, Asians and Africans have treated outsiders.
1728992106298.png

Your post is vile.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Ahhh, your connection is reasonably recent. That's wonderful. You have a better opportunity to explore and learn the history and traditions.

My blood connection goes back to about 1700. The Chowanoc tribe was absorbed by the English fairly quickly and has not been able to get the US government to recognize the ancestors. A few have gotten together in recent years and bought a tract of land that used to be part of the reservation. Here they gather for memorials, but as I said in the OP, the regalia used is "mixed." There’s no way to authenticate much from that long ago outside of archaeological findings which doesn't show dress and hair adornment. There is a little written information from English explorers of the 16th century, but of course has the English spin.
Fascinating!

Shaul

Premium Member
Stop the revisionism. WiKipedia is not an authoritative source. But even your own citation notes that the native American population decline was mostly due to disease and happened before the United States was founded. In 1800 there were an estimated at 600,000 native Americans in the territory that became the United States while in 2021 there were 9,700,000. Also the 2021 population was an 85% increase from the previous 2010 census. Growing from 600,000 to 9,700,000 isn't a genocide.

Your slander of the United States is what is vile.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
In 1800 there were an estimated at 600,000 native Americans in the territory that became the United States while in 2021 there were 9,700,000
Interesting choice to jump from 1800 to 2021 while ignoring that "The Native population in the U.S. reached its lowest point in 1900 at 237,000". An abuse of statistics does not help your case here.
Interesting to know that you believe sharing a link to Wikipedia constitutes slander - noted.

Spice

Stop the revisionism. WiKipedia is not an authoritative source. But even your own citation notes that the native American population decline was mostly due to disease and happened before the United States was founded. In 1800 there were an estimated at 600,000 native Americans in the territory that became the United States while in 2021 there were 9,700,000. Also the 2021 population was an 85% increase from the previous 2010 census. Growing from 600,000 to 9,700,000 isn't a genocide.

Don't take it as slander. Take it as owning responsibility. And, no, it wasn't necessarily the United States. It was, however, Europeans. That does not mean the Department of Indian Affairs, the US government, did what was best for the Indian people, or even what was fair. In 300 years, or less, between new world discovery and US independence,15,000 years of civilization was washed down to barely existing. And some were washed completely away.

Shaul

Premium Member
Interesting choice to jump from 1800 to 2021 while ignoring that "The Native population in the U.S. reached its lowest point in 1900 at 237,000". An abuse of statistics does not help your case here.
The "abuse of statistics" here is yours, not mine. The previous decade census of 1880 showed 306,000 native Americans. The cause for their decline was not massacres of native Americans in the 1880's. It was disease. The record low was due to disease according to the National Institute of Health.
Interesting to know that you believe sharing a link to Wikipedia constitutes slander - noted.
The basis for saying you are slandering isn't because you quoted Wikipedia. It is because you are making a baseless false accusation by accusing the United States of being vile. It is not.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
It is because you are making a baseless false accusation by accusing the United States of being vile.
No, I clearly said the post that you wrote was vile. I haven't said anything here constituting a value judgement about the United States.

Good day

Viker

I get a lot of my information from here:

Genocide Of Indigenous Peoples - Holocaust Museum Houston

Viker

If there's truth to it.....it is not slander. Slander is false accusation intended to damage reputation.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nonsense. Americans have treated the native Americans better than the native Americans treated native Americans from other tribes and far better than Europeans, Asians and Africans have treated outsiders.
A lot of people are not aware of just how vicious and brutal some nations were with each other long before the arrival of Europeans.

Particularly the Comanches, one of the most hated and feared nations but well respected for their horsemanship and tenacity. What they did to people is so graphic and terrible its not for the squeamish.

A lot of people are not aware of just how vicious and brutal some nations were with each other long before the arrival of Europeans.

Particularly the Comanches, one of the most hated and feared nations but well respected for their horsemanship and tenacity. What they did to people is so graphic and terrible its not for the squeamish.

The Comanches only became powerful long after the arrival of Europeans (who brought the horses that allowed them to thrive in the plains and become such tremendous warriors).

But, yes, you probably didn't want to be captured by them :grin:

Viker

The Comanches only became powerful long after the arrival of Europeans (who brought the horses that allowed them to thrive in the plains and become such tremendous warriors).

But, yes, you probably didn't want to be captured by them :grin:
Heck. You didn't even want to get raided by them. They were like Mad Max baddies except with horses not awesome motorcycles.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
The "abuse of statistics" here is yours, not mine. The previous decade census of 1880 showed 306,000 native Americans. The cause for their decline was not massacres of native Americans in the 1880's. It was disease. The record low was due to disease according to the National Institute of Health.

The basis for saying you are slandering isn't because you quoted Wikipedia. It is because you are making a baseless false accusation by accusing the United States of being vile. It is not.

Wow. I have never known anyone who - regardless of their politics- denied that the American government, mainly in the 19th century, did not murder, starve, disposes and sometimes intentionally infect native Americans. You need to read more history.