• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hard polytheism v. soft polytheism in Hinduism, textual sources?

Kirran

Premium Member
Kartikeya/Murugan has nearly the same attributes, that of being the commander of the army of Gods. Yes, South India also considers him as a giver of wisdom.

He's still the same deity, regardless of these slightly different attributes.

Going with the Vedics as Indo-Europeans, the deity seems likely to be this culture's version of what became Mars, Ares and other gods of war.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know about scriptures, but I'd say both soft and hard polytheism exists in Hinduism regardless. As well as pretty much every belief about God (or lack thereof) under the sun! Because, that's just how Hinduism rolls, I guess.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
He's still the same deity, regardless of these slightly different attributes.

Going with the Vedics as Indo-Europeans, the deity seems likely to be this culture's version of what became Mars, Ares and other gods of war.

Many Dravidian historians believe Murugan was a Dravidian God, and was only later adopted in the North. Certainly his worship in the South far exceeds the north. In TN there are more temples for Murugan than any other, including the more 'Supreme' ones. Many of the most famous temples are dedicated to Him. He is ofter termed 'The God of the Tamil people'.

Because of the 'competition' factor that goes on, North Indians, if they know about him at all, will say, 'But we have him too' and the Tamil response would be, "Yes, But not in the same way we do." The Murugan bhaktar can get downright enthusiastic bordering on driven.

Kirran

Premium Member
Many Dravidian historians believe Murugan was a Dravidian God, and was only later adopted in the North. Certainly his worship in the South far exceeds the north. In TN there are more temples for Murugan than any other, including the more 'Supreme' ones. Many of the most famous temples are dedicated to Him. He is ofter termed 'The God of the Tamil people'.

Well that's very interesting, and makes a lot of sense to me. I suppose the idea of a war god is a fairly straightforward one to come up in different societies.

I guess Indra to Zeus is a better comparison for the point I was trying to make. I'm just not very familiar with Indra. Shiva and his two sons are the gods with whom I feel closest.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm not familiar at all, so you know far more than I do already ... as for the same God with different cultural names, my take is, 'Maybe. Maybe not." It's not going to make me stop worshiping the one I'm familiar with either way, so it's largely irrelevant.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
The more and more I study with my dishka guru, as well as the scriptures with Ramanuja's commentaries, the more I believe that Sri Vaishnavism teaches Henotheism (primarily worship of Vishnu, his avatars, and Lakshmi; but acknowledging the existence of others) and Panentheism (related to Vishishtadvaita).

I no longer believe that all are mere representations of a greater source, but I still am not sure if every God and Deva is a complete separate entity in and of themselves. So, basically, I'm somewhere in between "hard" and "soft" polytheism (if that really is the correct word).

Kirran

Premium Member
I'm not familiar at all, so you know far more than I do already ... as for the same God with different cultural names, my take is, 'Maybe. Maybe not." It's not going to make me stop worshiping the one I'm familiar with either way, so it's largely irrelevant.

Yeah, absolutely. I'm by no means advocating 'you must worship Ares if you worship Murugan!' For one, I'd have to go and buy an Ares statue, and that would be expensive.

Just some cultural conjecture.

Chakra

Premium Member
Does Henotheism mean worshiping one God, but acknowledging that there are other Supreme gods that can be worshiped?

Kirran

Premium Member
Does Henotheism mean worshiping one God, but acknowledging that there are other Supreme gods that can be worshiped?

Yup :)

Includes kathenotheism - periodically switching which god you worship, while always acknowledging others exist.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member

Sort of.

It means that I have the God(s) I worship, but acknowledge that others worship different Gods than I; some of whom they may consider supreme. In the end, it doesn't really affect me or my practice. It's just something that is.

Kirran

Premium Member
Sort of.

It means that I have the God(s) I worship, but acknowledge that others worship different Gods than I; some of whom they may consider supreme. In the end, it doesn't really affect me or my practice. It's just something that is.

Isn't it a proviso that those gods being worshipped by others exist? Or have I misunderstood?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Isn't it a proviso that those gods being worshipped by others exist? Or have I misunderstood?

It does.

To give an example: some actively worship Surya as the supreme. I acknowledge his existence, and he has a role in my samparadaya, but I don't put much emphasis on his worship. It doesn't mean he doesn't exist; it just means I don't place him on that large of devotional pedestal.

Kirran

Premium Member
It does.

To give an example: some actively worship Surya as the supreme. I acknowledge his existence, and he has a role in my samparadaya, but I don't put much emphasis on his worship. It doesn't mean he doesn't exist; it just means I don't place him on that large of devotional pedestal.

Do you believe in the separate existence of Jehovah, for example? Or Thor?

Chakra

Premium Member
It does.

If Sri Vaishnavism was monotheistic, would that mean that it wouldn't even acknowledge the existence of Surya? I was always inclined to think that Sri Vaishnavism was wholly monotheistic, but I am interested to hear your conclusions after listening to your Guru.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In my version of henotheism, it's God and gods, but the other gods aren't Supreme Gods. To have more than one Supreme God would be contradictory. So to me, Vishnu and Siva are the same God, although I only actively worship one of them. Whereas Ganesha, Murugan, etc are indeed separate.

Kirran

Premium Member
In my version of henotheism, it's God and gods, but the other gods aren't Supreme Gods. To have more than one Supreme God would be contradictory. So to me, Vishnu and Siva are the same God, although I only actively worship one of them. Whereas Ganesha, Murugan, etc are indeed separate.

What's your take on those who think of Ganesha as the Supreme God?

Chakra

Premium Member
Just wondering, but where does Durga/Parvati come into all of this? What is she to you?