• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harvard Cultural Club to host Black Mass -- such a welcoming gesture

thau

Postscript:

Harvard Culture Club cancels Black Mass. In place of this, Black Mass is held off campus at a Hong Kong restaurant attended by maybe 50 supporters.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/5/12/black-mass-relocated-controversy/?page=2

If I may (under this forum’s rules?) post excerpts from the article and but a few of the countless pro and con comments which followed the article:

[article:] ”Shortly before the planned starting time, the club said that it was moving to an off-campus site, citing in an email that “misinterpretations about the nature of the event were harming perceptions about Harvard and adversely impacting the student community.”…Four individuals in hoods and one man in a white suit, a cape, and a horned mask were active in the proceedings, as well as a woman revealed to be wearing only lingerie…. The proposed reenactment had received sharp condemnation by the Archdiocese of Boston, the Harvard Chaplains, a group of religious and spiritual leaders on campus, and several student groups.”

[readers' comments:]
I can't help shake the feeling that if it were a cross burning, disgust and discomfort would turn into a rapid cancellation and the citing of speech codes.

Let's see just how long Harvard would stand by "protected" student expression if the club had invited the Westboro Baptist Church to host… a mockery of a same-sex wedding.

Furthermore, if the group has a consecrated host as originally planned (it's unclear from this article whether they intend to use one), then the only way they could have obtained one is through deceit or theft. Is that also protected?

Harvard is no longer prestigious except in its own mind. There is a book, "Harvard Hates America". Looks like America is not the only thing most people esteem that Harvard “hates.”

“Skull and Bonez” wanna beez.

The rest of us just see a bunch of cookies and wafers and some really foul tasting wine used for really unsanitary purposes. If you are offended that is OK. If you feel disrespected, that is OK too. As long as you do not have to participate, it is freedom of religion and anybody can shove it done your throat in public. You are not coerced. Your own Supreme Court hacks said so.

Wow. Maybe we should take our chances with the satan fellow. At least he isn't dropping tornadoes on schools full of children or throwing earthquakes at Haiti.

How come your Big Spook does not just blow a trumpet, buy time on the Comedy Channel, or do something obvious? Why this hiding game? Oh, so charlatans and knaves can speak in his name.

Ok. Tell me how a rock floating through space ended up with so much life on it. You don't have to call it God or anything else, but it didn't just happen.

(atheist) I say that the Christian God does not exist with as much certainty as I say leprechauns don't exist. Can you tell me how you know something without actually observing it in some manner?

I don't know if you're a parent, atheist, but if your 3-year-old child ran out into the street, about to be hit by a car, you would probably scream "God!" and not "science!"

dust1n

Zindīq
I don't know if you're a parent, atheist, but if your 3-year-old child ran out into the street, about to be hit by a car, you would probably scream "God!" and not "science!"

I'd probably yell something like "[insert child's name], move! MOVE! CAR! MOVE!"