• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have the Rich Gone to War Against the Poor and Middle Class in America?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
A farmer with cow poop on his boots in the top 7% of people with money, give me a break!

300,000 will not buy much of a home in Manhatan or L.A.

Alceste

Vagabond
Dustin said you could live the rest of your life on $1 million. He didn't say you could buy a condo on Central Park East.

Yeah - it's quite obvious to those of us who are currently living comfortably on <$30,000 a year that a million bucks can last a good long while. I did the math, though - assuming I didn't invest a dime in money-growing schemes it would still last me 40 years, provided interest stays in line with inflation. In fact, if I had a million bucks I would live cheaper in the long run because I would own property - I wouldn't be wasting half my net worth on rent.

Watchmen

Premium Member
A farmer with cow poop on his boots in the top 7% of people with money, give me a break!

No one said anything about farmers - you did. Also, Manhattan and LA are irrelevant to the points made - points you cannot refute (at least successfully).

Watchmen

Premium Member
However, all you need for complete self-sufficiency in a climate with year round growing opportunities is five acres.

What climates in the US have "year round growing opportunities"? Are these climates plentiful enough to provide each person in the US with the necessary five acres?

Alceste

Vagabond
What climates in the US have "year round growing opportunities"? Are these climates plentiful enough to provide each person in the US with the necessary five acres?

The whole of the West Coast. The question is whether or not a million bucks would "buy much these days", not whether we should start carving up land in equal allotments for a futuristic utopian agrarian society.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ss,

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.” -- Warren Buffet

If that is what Warren states then surely he is mistaken as if he is able to carry the winning prize money with him after death then surely he would have won or else its just a figment of imagination as CHANGE is permanent which is what evolution is about and in the larger perspective he too is part of that evolution and will be lost in time.

Love & rgds

Watchmen

Premium Member
The whole of the West Coast. The question is whether or not a million bucks would "buy much these days", not whether we should start carving up land in equal allotments for a futuristic utopian agrarian society.

The "whole of the West Coast" does not have year round growth capabilities - some parts..yes...but not the whole.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Says who? So the family farm has no relevance any more? Next time you sit down to eat and thank the Lord, don't forget the farmer.

Irrelevant. The point is if you are worth a million bucks you will be fine in this country - distracting the issue by crying "farmers!" is irrelevant.

Alceste

Vagabond
The "whole of the West Coast" does not have year round growth capabilities - some parts..yes...but not the whole.

Where are you thinking to exclude? I live in Canada on the West Coast, and there's something growing in every season up here. Hard to imagine the climate being less hospitable further south...

Watchmen

Premium Member
Where are you thinking to exclude? I live in Canada on the West Coast, and there's something growing in every season up here. Hard to imagine the climate being less hospitable further south...

Year round? On the sand...past the tundra line...is the variety sufficient?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
So the police, fire and school teachers are poor? I thought they belonged to unions?
Teachers especially are grossly underpaided. The people who are supposed to be guiding the new generation into adulthood, and many of them have second jobs to pay the bills. My fiance's uncle is a D.F.A., and only makes $16,000 a year to teach.
As for a million dollars, it is indeed alot of money. I could live off just one million dollars until I'm finished with school, in about 10 to 12 years. I wouldn't work a single day until I found a job that I wanted. And even then, working at McDonald's would be more than sufficient to live off of when you have a million dollars in the bank.

Kinda ties into the thread, slightly, but since I mentioned it in a previous thread, I got my insurance statement today, and to get a few electric shocks on my arm to be diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome cost $1,350.00. There is no way such a service should cost so much. If that is not a sign of an outright class war, then I don't know what is. If you are poor, then you are essentially left to suffer and die if aren't fortunate enough to work for a more generous feudal lord.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
A million dollars does not buy much farm land now days.

So?

Then, I guess it's a good thing you'd have $700,000 extra dollars, huh?

Besides, because you can't buy a house in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the country doesn't mean you're not rich. Just like if you don't have the biggest yacht in the harbor, it doesn't mean you're not rich. It just means you're not as rich as some others. If you're 5'7" and 230 pounds, you're overweight, despite the fact that you're not as overweight as someone who's 5'7" and 300 pounds. I could go on, if you want.