• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Having Children and my thoughts on why people are deciding not too.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
It can be done(our family does this), but we sure as hell can't keep up with the Jones'. A lot of thought and planning goes into needs and wants, though.

But yeah, the role is vilified sometimes. For some, once they find out my vocation(housewife, but I prefer domestic engineer), they don't treat me as an equal.

I was a stay-at-home mom. Not a lot of money, but it was the best job I ever had. Nothing compares.

There was, and still is, so much love. No one's mentioned love yet in the thread, so I guess I'll put it out there.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
The subject has been pretty much covered, but anyone remember Isaac Asimov's article about unchecked population growth? I can't find it to quote, but from memory ...

At the time the population was doubling every 41 years. He projected this into the future and assumed that science would solve all the problems associated with living space, food production and so on. I'm not sure of the exact number but it was about 1500 years before the entire universe would be converted into human flesh.

Interesting that the solution he wanted seems to have come about naturally, the world population is in fact decreasing and is anticipated to level off at 10 billion or so. This is now seen as a problem, as the number of old folk increases and the number of young people supporting them decreases. I don't see this as such a big problem as unchecked growth, as the imbalance will inevitably correct itself.

Of course we now have climate change .... <sigh>.

Wandering Monk

The subject has been pretty much covered, but anyone remember Isaac Asimov's article about unchecked population growth? I can't find it to quote, but from memory ...

At the time the population was doubling every 41 years. He projected this into the future and assumed that science would solve all the problems associated with living space, food production and so on. I'm not sure of the exact number but it was about 1500 years before the entire universe would be converted into human flesh.

Interesting that the solution he wanted seems to have come about naturally, the world population is in fact decreasing and is anticipated to level off at 10 billion or so. This is now seen as a problem, as the number of old folk increases and the number of young people supporting them decreases. I don't see this as such a big problem as unchecked growth, as the imbalance will inevitably correct itself.

Nature is doing a Great Reset perhaps.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was a stay-at-home mom. Not a lot of money, but it was the best job I ever had. Nothing compares.

There was, and still is, so much love. No one's mentioned love yet in the thread, so I guess I'll put it out there.
No one has mentioned love yet?

Post #20 here......

You completely skipped over little ole' me on something we can totally agree with!

I'm so crushed! :O)

anna.

No one has mentioned love yet?

Post #20 here......

You completely skipped over little ole' me on something we can totally agree with!

I'm so crushed! :O)

I was probably composing my reply before you posted, our posts are only 3 minutes apart. I did a word search for love before replying to doublecheck myself, and nothing came up at the time, you must've posted right after I did that.

Thank you for mentioning love, and my missing your post wasn't intentional.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was probably composing my reply before you posted, our posts are only 3 minutes apart. I did a word search for love before replying to doublecheck myself, and nothing came up at the time, you must've posted right after I did that.

Thank you for mentioning love, and my missing your post wasn't intentional.
That's fine of course and I'm proud of your position that so many people like to put down these days. Seeing ones children grow up full time is only unique for full time moms.

I think housewives deserve the recognition as being one the most important and rewarding roles a family can have to help ensure a close loving environment for their loved ones, seeing their children first hand day by day grow into people that mirrors the dedication and love that has been givin. What a rewarding experience that only a housewife can have.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Yeah, I believe the push against is coming from big business because it will be a financial loss to them. The plus is by reducing the population we will reduce destruction of the planet.

Pawpatrol

One of the worse things is when a single parents wage could no longer support an entire family and the mother couldn't no longer stay and rear her children full time resulting in the pandemic of latchkey children. The notion of housewife became vilified and now this is the result.
How could a single mother be a housewife? The question is, why are there so many single mothers?

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
How could a single mother be a housewife? The question is, why are there so many single mothers?
He means that a single parent's wage in a manner that many feel they need two parents' wages. Single income. He's not referring to single parents.

Pawpatrol

He means that a single parent's wage in a manner that many feel they need two parents' wages. Single income. He's not referring to single parents.
I see. I hear that a lot, but I suspect it is usually not about survival but rather about wanting a certain level of income to be comfortable.

Well, may the women marry well if they want to stay at home with their kids. (By marrying well I don't mean necessarily marrying someone rich, but marrying someone capable of taking care of things (including bills)).

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm old enough to remember when most households had one bread winner and a family unit. The rare exceptions tended to be couples that were not able to have children, and so the wife would also work.

This gave those households a big jump in income and it wasn't long before the other women on the block were looking for work when the kids were at school, or when the kids were old enough to leave home. And employers were very happy to hire these women because they would do the same work for a third less pay than the men, and they were more compliant. Also, the employers, ... all male, liked having all those women around increasing the likelihood of a work related affair.

Greed poisons everything it touches, and it poisoned the nuclear family unit to the point where it's no longer even possible in the way that it was.

Last edited:

anna.

That's fine of course and I'm proud of your position that so many people like to put down these days. Seeing ones children grow up full time is only unique for full time moms.

I think housewives deserve the recognition as being one the most important and rewarding roles a family can have to help ensure a close loving environment for their loved ones, seeing their children first hand day by day grow into people that mirrors the dedication and love that has been givin. What a rewarding experience that only a housewife can have.

There are full-time dads out there too, in fact one of my relatives is a stay-at-home dad, and he's doing an amazing job of it. There are a lot of stay-at-home moms in my circle of family and friends, so it's maybe more 'normal' to me than others, but the memories of rocking my babies to sleep and thinking I'd never tire of looking down at their little faces, the joy of having them throw themselves into my arms, the way they taught me about unconditional love, and the absolute privilege of watching them grow, and learn, and experience, and all of them give back to society in their own ways. I'd give my life for them, and now my grandchildren throw themselves into my arms and there is no professional or academic replacement for that.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I see. I hear that a lot, but I suspect it is usually not about survival but rather about wanting a certain level of income to be comfortable.

Well, may the women marry well if they want to stay at home with their kids. (By marrying well I don't mean necessarily marrying someone rich, but marrying someone capable of taking care of things (including bills)).
Money's overrated.

I would agree, it is more about achieving a level of comfort.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
One of the worse things is when a single parents wage could no longer support an entire family and the mother couldn't no longer stay and rear her children full time resulting in the pandemic of latchkey children. The notion of housewife became vilified and now this is the result.
My daughters both made significant sacrifices but were able to stay home with their four kids, thankfully. And now they are nearly all grown and doing great!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

I also got to stay home with my kids till they were all in school and it was TERRIFIC. Best. Job. Ever.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It gives me some idea, yes, and it's disappointing to see you use such a pejorative term for people who have children.
I'm just being honest. I can actually do that here as opposed to need to pretend I'm ever excited or happy about adding more humans to an already overpopulated species that's responsible for a sixth mass extinction and global scale ecological genocide.

I'm happy for someone's happiness in these matters, though not for the cause of it if that makes sense. I've had coworkers decide to be breeders and if that's what they wanna do and it that's how they find joy and purpose - I can respect that. Hell, I deeply respect that. But dang if I'm not aggravated that humans have opted primarily for the death rate solution. Ecosystems resolve species overpopulation in only two ways - reduced birth rates, or increased death rates. I'd like to think pretty much everybody would find reducing birth rates to be a lot less painful and ugly (because it is).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
We live in a time when people are supposedly paying attention to climate protection. Every child automatically has a negative carbon footprint. Phasing out the human species by voluntarily ceasing to breed will allow Earth’s biosphere to return to good health. Crowded conditions and resource shortages will improve as we become less dense.
Yeah, I'm a supporter of VHEMT.

In some ways, I hate that. I hate that VHEMT makes any sense at all or is even remotely a good idea. It shouldn't be. But it is what it is.

I studied ecology and conservation at the post-grad level because I loved nature and the world. Unfortunately, as part of that you can't not learn about... how humans are the most damaging and invasive species of the present era. In the long term, things will be fine - there've been five other mass extinction events and Earth will get along perfectly well. But something about the fact my species is responsible for the sixth is not something I am okay with. I've mostly opted for a "sit back and let it be" approach taking the long view of time.