• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawkins

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Thats not what was adressed in the OP. Hawking stated he did not believe God created the universe. He is not a tyrannt, nor did he threaten or even say anything insulting about anyone. Yet Christians immediately start calling him names, call him arrogant and even gleefully proclaim they can't wait to see him roast in hell. Is this behavior Jesus would condone?

Hey. In case you missed it, here is my initial response to the OP:

I haven't read the article (and am disinclined to do so) nor have I read any rebuttals to it by Christians. So I am speaking generally.

The OP asked if it was hypocritical for Christians to call someone out and criticize them, to express themselves harshly - apparently the poster (and some others) think that Christians are bound by the teachings of their faith to walk about with their hands folded in prayer, smiling benignly and gently murmuring "God bless us every one."

Christians should follow the example set by Jesus. Even Jesus could be pushed too far - and if you read the Gospels, you may be surprised at the Jesus who emerges from those accounts. Jesus was kind, tender hearted, gentle, and loving. He also was very infuriating in his interactions with the Roman and Jewish leadership during his trial, and scathing in his sarcasm and cutting wit when addressing the hypocritical scribes and Pharisees. He also went on a rampage when he saw the temple being used as a marketplace - overthrowing tables and yelling at the vendors to "Get out of his Father's house."

So even Christians are allowed to feel, and express, anger and even ridicule in some cases.

Not all anger, and not all sarcasm, is misplaced or inappropriate - not even when coming from a Christian.

I hope I've made myself clear, you JACKWAGONS! :cool:

Like I said, I haven't read the article that started the brouhaha, nor have I read any of the alleged retorts by alleged Christians, so I can't say whether or not these retorts were out of line.

If they called him arrogant, they may be right. If they "called him names," I guess it depends on what sort of names they called him (for instance, if they called him a Jackwagon, honestly it's not that big a deal).

If they told him they want to see him roast in hell - well maybe they will get that chance, because maybe they will be sitting right there beside him. :angel2: