• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Healing?

Should energy healing be offered in hospitals?

• Total voters

WeAreAllOne

I would like to know how the people of this forum feel about energy healing/ faith healing etc.

Also would you would like to see it offered in hospitals as a complementary therapy? Just a little background on me, I’m currently a Reiki 2 in the Sa Sekhem Sahu tradition and I also practice Quantum Touch.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Yes. (I'm not sure about faith healing, but healing energy.) It's nice- we've got two local hospitals that have Reiki and/or massage therapy as a 'standing order' for all patients. Of course, as a Reiki practitioner, I'm biased.

WeAreAllOne

Of course, as a Reiki practitioner, I'm biased.
hehe... thats the same problem (if you consider that a problem) that I have. So I think it will be interesting to see others views on it.

I would need more info on the subject.
we had a good thred that dident get anywere, I'll dig that up.. hang on.

jonny

I've noticed that hospitals in LDS areas always keep vials of consecrated oil handy for LDS blessings on the sick. I don't know if the doctors/nurses offer those services. I doubt they would ever offer it, but they might give a blessing if you knew they were LDS and asked. If I were in the hospital I'd probably call my roommate, bishop, grandfather, or hometeachers to come and give me a blessing if I felt I needed one. The hospitals have always allowed me to come in and give blessings when people have called and requested one.

jonny

WeAreAllOne said:
Does the LDS faith use hands-on healing in any way? and if so do you think this would be useful in hospitals?
We do. That's what I was referring to above. I should have made that more clear. In the LDS church the sick are first annointed with a small dab of consecrated olive oil on their head. They are then blessed by "the laying on of hands." A few priesthood holders will put their hands on the head of the sick person and bless them as guided by the spirit.

I, of couse, believe this is very useful and have performed this ordinance in the hospital often.

WeAreAllOne

ah.. sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you were only doing a blessing. Do you know of any research done on this partiular form of healing that your Church practices?

jonny

WeAreAllOne said:
ah.. sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you were only doing a blessing. Do you know of any research done on this partiular form of healing that your Church practices?
I don't know of any or even if it has been researched. It is more of a faith thing for members of the LDS church. I have witnessed people who were healed by these blessings, but it is difficult to prove things that are based on faith.

WeAreAllOne

Thats ok. I belive all energy healing of any kind comes from the same sorce. So I think all the studys that have been done apply in some way to what you do as well.

Master Vigil

The holistic center I teach at is trying to get in cahoots with the local hospitals to insurance companies. Like, if you attend yoga, pulsus, reiki healings, chi gong, etc... you will get money off of your insurance. Not sure how well they are coming, but I believe it is becoming a common goal throughout holistic centers.

Nimaj

I say, YES!

I attend a pentacostal church, and thus see healing firsthand. When people from our church go into a hospital and preach (in federal hospitals, and like) they heal people, so if you continue to allow it in hospitals, those hospitals will see more output and make more money, and the church gets to heal people and councel them into christianity, using the healing as a sign.

jonny

I don't know how I feel about people being "councilled into Christianity" when they are in the hospital. I don't think healing should be allowed unless people specifically request for someone to come and visit them.

standing_alone

Well, so far it looks like I'm the lone dissenter and don't believe that such energy/faith healing should be used in hospitals. I believe hospitals should stick to administering typical medical treatments (medications, surgery) that have been proven to be effective, rather than trying to reallign energy fields and whatnot. Energy/faith healing has never been proven to be an effective medical treatment (people often seem to disregard the variable nature of illnesses and then believe these treatments work) and should not be able to be a sole treatment given at a hospital. If someone wants such a treatment, they should be able to get such a healer to come to the hospital, but I don't think it is a service a hospital should offer since it's not really medical.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I feel they should offer it. I would much rather have a Reiki practitioner be by my bedside when I'm in the recover room after sugery than a hospital's priest saying "We'll be praying for you." Which I'm also biased, being a Reiki 1 myself. I'll be 2 by the time summer gets here.

WeAreAllOne

standing_alone said:
Well, so far it looks like I'm the lone dissenter and don't believe that such energy/faith healing should be used in hospitals. I believe hospitals should stick to administering typical medical treatments (medications, surgery) that have been proven to be effective, rather than trying to reallign energy fields and whatnot. Energy/faith healing has never been proven to be an effective medical treatment (people often seem to disregard the variable nature of illnesses and then believe these treatments work) and should not be able to be a sole treatment given at a hospital. If someone wants such a treatment, they should be able to get such a healer to come to the hospital, but I don't think it is a service a hospital should offer since it's not really medical.
Ok. Were to start… in the US we spend more on healthcare then any other country in the world we take more drugs, go to the doctor more often, and have one of worst health care systems In the developed world. We rank low in longevity, high in infant mortality, and per person spending. Now to be sure allopathic medicine has it’s place. It is an indispensable part of our lives. The problem starts with a doctor’s training Drug companies fund many medical schools and a large portion of time Is devoted to learning about drugs. We are what we eat, and our health is very closely related to what we put in our bodies. Yet a MD only get between 7-10 hours of nutrition classes, and then proclaims to be the expert on what you should eat. To get back to the topic at hand, when someone is sick or has this or that, there is an obvious biological effect; otherwise they wouldn’t be showing symptoms. But there is more to It then only the biological symptoms. Blocked energy can be a cause of illness and distress. The acupuncture meridians that were mapped about 1000’s of years ago (I’m not sure exactly ) were recently mapped out using a radioactive dye injected into acupuncture points. The dye did travel and followed remarkably close to the meridian channels that were mapped out so long ago. Point being, there is wisdom from years past that we seem to ignore that could be very useful in our persuit for wellness. Using a energy healer to remove someone’s discomfort or pain is much cheaper then a drug and much less toxic to the patient’s body. things such as pain free child birth using no drugs are possable, realigning someones bone structure using a light touch is possable (pretty easy really) we truly don't know the limits of this work.