• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Healing?

Should energy healing be offered in hospitals?

• Total voters

standing_alone

Blocked energy can be a cause of illness and distress.
A human energy field has never been detected by science and there is no way to test this human energy field or adjust this blocked energy (unless you believe in thereuputic touch). There is no empiracal evidece supporting the idea of a human energy field and/or that this energy can become blocked. Such energy healings, such as therapeutic touch, are merely a pseudoscience and have no reason to be a treatment administered in a hospital by medical professionals. If someone wants one of these treatments, someone can come in for the patient, but I don't think it is a service that a hospital should offer, since there is no evidence that such treatment does anything to help heal or cure a patient. A hospital should stick to administering treatments that have been scientifically proven to be effective at treating ailments.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
but I don't think it is a service that a hospital should offer, since there is no evidence that such treatment does anything to help heal or cure a patient.
Is thier any evidence to show prayer works?

I think if someone wants the re-assurance that someone is praying for them before they go to surgery, then they should ask for it. When I had surgery to have my ACL repaired, I wasn't worried, since my surgeon specialized in knee surgery, and had already performed almost a dozen of them before me. Sitting in the pre-op waiting room, the priest walked in, said him and his congregation would be praying for a safe surgery and speedy recover, and I told him I would rather him not, since I am not a Christian. Personally, I would rather have had no one come in. Now if it would have been a more serious surgery, then I would have appreciated having a Reiki (or any other form of energy healing) master working on me while I was in the recover room.

WeAreAllOne

standing_alone said:
A human energy field has never been detected by science and there is no way to test this human energy field or adjust this blocked energy (unless you believe in thereuputic touch). There is no empiracal evidece supporting the idea of a human energy field and/or that this energy can become blocked. Such energy healings, such as therapeutic touch, are merely a pseudoscience and have no reason to be a treatment administered in a hospital by medical professionals. If someone wants one of these treatments, someone can come in for the patient, but I don't think it is a service that a hospital should offer, since there is no evidence that such treatment does anything to help heal or cure a patient. A hospital should stick to administering treatments that have been scientifically proven to be effective at treating ailments.
There is indirect evidence to support a human energy field, Krilian(sp.) photography, have you hear of the phantom leaf effect? If plants have it, I would think we would as well most likely. In response to energy healing not being proven to do anything, that is plainly not true. I have records from my practice that prove otherwise that I will post them if you want. There have been many, many scientific studies done on energy healing, you just have to look around they can be a bit hard to find.

standing_alone

There is indirect evidence to support a human energy field
Indirect evidence?

I have records from my practice that prove otherwise that I will post them if you want.
Sure, I'd like to see them.

There have been many, many scientific studies done on energy healing, you just have to look around they can be a bit hard to find.
Have these studies been printed in a scientific, scholary, peer-reviewed journal?

WeAreAllOne

standing_alone said:
Indirect evidence?
yes. another living thing has it. Why can't we?

standing_alone said:
Sure, I'd like to see them.
Each person was asked to rate their pain between one and ten, one being not at all noticeable and ten being excruciating. The results are as follows.

Doris: right shoulder and arm pain before session 8-9 after session 1.

5-minute session.

Mark: neck before 9 after 3, lower back before 7 after 4, shoulder before 5 after 3. 30-minute session.

Mary Ann: left leg before 9 after 1. 10-minute session.

Debbie: arthritis pain, wrist before 5 after 1, hands before 4 after 2.

10-minute session.

Nadine: neck/shoulder before 3 after 1 comment: Great! 10-minute session.

Jennifer: pain from blood clot in leg before 7 after 1. 10-minute session.

Juilee: neck before 8 after 2, back before 5 after 2, stomach before 8 after 3. 10-minute session.

Lauren: low back before 7 after 1, shoulders before 6 after 1.

10-minute session.

Connie: neck before 3 after 1. 10-minute session.

standing_alone said:
Have these studies been printed in a scientific, scholary, peer-reviewed journal?
This I am not sure about.

standing_alone

Is thier any evidence to show prayer works?

I think if someone wants the re-assurance that someone is praying for them before they go to surgery, then they should ask for it. When I had surgery to have my ACL repaired, I wasn't worried, since my surgeon specialized in knee surgery, and had already performed almost a dozen of them before me. Sitting in the pre-op waiting room, the priest walked in, said him and his congregation would be praying for a safe surgery and speedy recover, and I told him I would rather him not, since I am not a Christian. Personally, I would rather have had no one come in. Now if it would have been a more serious surgery, then I would have appreciated having a Reiki (or any other form of energy healing) master working on me while I was in the recover room.
I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to consult in such people. I just don't think it is a service a hospital should offer. The hospital can allow such a spiritual healer to come to the hospital, as a priest can come, but they shouldn't have someone on hire to administer such "treatments" since they are not really medical. It should be up to the patient or the patient's friends and/or family to get in contact with their sprititual healer to pay a visit.

standing_alone

Each person was asked to rate their pain between one and ten, one being not at all noticeable and ten being excruciating. The results are as follows.

Doris: right shoulder and arm pain before session 8-9 after session 1.

5-minute session.

Mark: neck before 9 after 3, lower back before 7 after 4, shoulder before 5 after 3. 30-minute session.

Mary Ann: left leg before 9 after 1. 10-minute session.

Debbie: arthritis pain, wrist before 5 after 1, hands before 4 after 2.

10-minute session.

Nadine: neck/shoulder before 3 after 1 comment: Great! 10-minute session.

Jennifer: pain from blood clot in leg before 7 after 1. 10-minute session.

Juilee: neck before 8 after 2, back before 5 after 2, stomach before 8 after 3. 10-minute session.

Lauren: low back before 7 after 1, shoulders before 6 after 1.

10-minute session.

Connie: neck before 3 after 1. 10-minute session.
The problem with this kind of "evidence" is that there is no way to test the pain, it's subjective to the patient. What may be a three to me, may be a five to someone else. This is also all by word of the patient, and it is not rational to believe something works on personal testimony alone. Also, there is lack of a control group (nor it a double-blind - thus prone to experimenter bias) and placebo treatment. All this is is personal testimony, and personal testimony isn't enough to prove if a treatment actually works. Also, those who felt better because of the treatment maybe did experience a placebo effect, since I'm sure they were under the impression that this treatment works. So, there's nothing there to convince me that this energy healing is what made the patient feel better.

This I am not sure about.
If there are so many studies on energy healing and there was reason to believe energy healing worked, the experiment would have been repeated and if evidence proved it likely to work (that it wasn't just a fluke), would have been printed in a scientific, peer-reviewed journal.

WeAreAllOne

This isn’t a scientific study nor do I claim it to be.

You should really read this book: A Practical Guide to Vibrational Medicine : Energy Healing and Spiritual Transformation. By: Dr. Richard Gerber, M.D
It has many, many studies and the sorces to back them up.

WeAreAllOne

Then all this is is personal testimony, and someone claiming that something works, doesn't mean that it works.
point being? I never said "hey look, I can prove healing is real." I know it is and thats good enough for me. Find a Reiki share in your area and go to it. See for yourself. All the data in the world doesnt mean anything. find out for yourself if it works.

standing_alone

I never said "hey look, I can prove healing is real."
In response to energy healing not being proven to do anything, that is plainly not true. I have records from my practice that prove otherwise that I will post them if you want.
All I'm saying is that since it can't be proven that energy healing actually works, it shouldn't be a service provided by a hospital. The patient or the patient's friends and/or family can bring an energy healer in if they so wish, but the hospital shouldn't provide a service that has no solid evidence showing that it is effective.

Ardent Listener

FeathersinHair said:
Yes. (I'm not sure about faith healing, but healing energy.) It's nice- we've got two local hospitals that have Reiki and/or massage therapy as a 'standing order' for all patients. Of course, as a Reiki practitioner, I'm biased.
Feathers, as a massage therapist/instructor who is liscensed by the Ohio State Medical Board, I perfer that massage therapy not be included in a discussion on "energy healing or faith healing". As you know, scientific massage therapy is based on proven physiological responces.

Shadow Wolf

Reiki and massage therapy have been known to go together quite nicly though. In my Reiki class, two of the five students were liscensed massage therapist. I think it was in Kentucky, I heard a radio advertisement for a massage therapist that also uses Reiki. I know some Reiki practitioners who have became liscensed massage therapist to further the healing.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Luke Wolf said:
Reiki and massage therapy have been known to go together quite nicly though. In my Reiki class, two of the five students were liscensed massage therapist. I think it was in Kentucky, I heard a radio advertisement for a massage therapist that also uses Reiki. I know some Reiki practitioners who have became liscensed massage therapist to further the healing.
Thank you; I quite agree; I also incorporate another element. I am not sure what you would call it in English (because the only book I have on this is in French), but it is a 'pressure point' massaging system, based on the accupuncture medians.

I have helped my wife get rid of many a headache by the tiniest rotation of a small, but blunt object, just below the index finger first phalange (just below the nail). I am quite convinced it isn't just a placebo effect.

WeAreAllOne

Ardent Listener said:
Feathers, as a massage therapist/instructor who is liscensed by the Ohio State Medical Board, I perfer that massage therapy not be included in a discussion on "energy healing or faith healing". As you know, scientific massage therapy is based on proven physiological responces.
And as a Massage therapy student I would have to agree with you 100%! :D

standing_alone: the research is out there to prove it does something, have you bothered to look for it? look at the start of this thread for my link to michal's thead, I posted some links in there

WeAreAllOne

michel said:
I have helped my wife get rid of many a headache by the tiniest rotation of a small, but blunt object, just below the index finger first phalange (just below the nail). I am quite convinced it isn't just a placebo effect.
are you talking about accupressure? if you are I've noticed it works quite nicely as well.

Shadow Wolf

In America at least, if I am understanding you correct, using a massage techniques on accupuncture medians, is accupreasure.

WeAreAllOne

Ardent Listener may be able to answer that better since I've never had formal training in accupressure but as far as I know, yes.

Ardent Listener

Luke Wolf said:
That can be very true. In my massage classes I have had many Reiki practitioners.:) I have known many nurses who practice Reiki or other forms of engery work. But that would not make nursing "energy work". I just don't want to give the impression that massge therapy or medical massage as I practice, is a form of "energy healing".

I myself have taken a Reiki workshop and Theraputic Touch classe in the past.