• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell is not discipline; it is torture

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Kungfuzed said:
I have always thought it was rediculous to give an eternal reward or punishment based on the faith and or works of this one little life. Human beings are not static and unchanging. We are constantly changing. Constantly in motion. What is God going to do when, after all of heaven has been saved for all eternity by Jesus, yet another third of the hosts of heaven decides to rebel against Him? After a few hundred years He'll realize that there are people in hell that have become good and people in heaven that have become evil. Change is our nature. To assign anything eternally permanent to us is absurd. If He doesn't like who we are right now, just wait another day or two.

Uh-huh. :yes:

That is why our tradition recognizes the existence of varying hell-realms and heaven-realms, but incarnations in them are by no means permanent. They are, for lack of better terms, our varying states of mind.

To be reborn into either realm is not ideal because of how much hell's enormous suffering suffocates the entities' desires to do good, and because of heaven's complete removal from any suffering whatsoever that takes away entities' desires to do good for others, too. Neither realm offers anything to an entity for spiritual growth or renewal.

Hell is absolute torture, but we are not sent there. We (myself and those in Tibetan tradition) do not recognize a creator God that weighs our faith or our works. We might already "go through hell" here on Earth in our minds and in our actions that manifest itself in our next step in our paths.......which is one of the hell-realms. Feeling anger and/or hatred toward another being feeds that "hell" existence in one's mind more and more, and if it has been the main hallmark of one's life, it only seems appropriate to appear in that kind of familiarity after death.

But, remember, one REALLY has to earn a spot in hell according to our tradition. Lots and lots of bad karmic seeds planted of killing, harming intentionally, etc. only ripens as enormous suffering in this life and in the next. This has nothing to do with beliefs, but has everything to do with what kind of karma one has been generating from the mind and hence from the actions.

That is, unless, one decides to take the vow of Ksitigarbha, the Bodhisattva in our tradition that has taken the vow to continue to remain in the hell-realms with each incarnation until all beings are free from suffering and hell is emptied.

Peace,
Mystic

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Just out of curiosity Darkness, how do you deal with the following passages?

Mark 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mark 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mark 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

For the record, I don't believe in eternal hell, and I love Jesus. :hearts: But I'm not so sure that he didn't believe in hell.
Do not worry friend, you are on the right path. Before I left Christianity I was a Christian Universalist. It is the most sane and logical version of devotion to the Scriptures.

Jesus is talking metaphorically, as He virtually always does. If we were to take this literally, people in Heaven would be walking around maimed. Besides, how does cutting off your ligiments save you from hell?

The word translated as hell here is Gehenna. It is metaphorical of God's refining fires. God purifies, He does not torture. I cannot remember where, but somewhere in the Old Testament it describes "fires never being quenched" and those fires were put out, ergo it does not denote eternity. Nothing in the Scriptures denote eternity.

Remember, "God is Love." Every action He does has a loving reason behind it. Be of good cheer. :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Kungfuzed said:
I have always thought it was rediculous to give an eternal reward or punishment based on the faith and or works of this one little life. Human beings are not static and unchanging. We are constantly changing. Constantly in motion. What is God going to do when, after all of heaven has been saved for all eternity by Jesus, yet another third of the hosts of heaven decides to rebel against Him? After a few hundred years He'll realize that there are people in hell that have become good and people in heaven that have become evil. Change is our nature. To assign anything eternally permanent to us is absurd. If He doesn't like who we are right now, just wait another day or two.
Excellent post. If there is such a thing as free will then the Fall was inevitable. Sooner or later, Eve and/or Adam would have eaten the forbidden fruit simply because there existed the choice to do so. So how can they be condemned for eternity for that? And as you say, even if God can seperate the sheep from the goats and keep only the sheep, as long as there is free will, some of the sheep will turn goat again. As long as there is free will there will be another "Fall." And any place without free will is not a "heaven" that I want any part of.

One of my Universalist forefathers put it this way. Humans are finite. They are only capable of a finite amount of sin. So how can a just God submit us finite humans to an infinite punishment? If there is a hell, it cannot justly be permanent.

lilithu said:
It has to do with you suggesting that the reason why God burns people in Hell (even tho it serves no rehabilitative purpose) is to show that He keeps His word.
Yes, that's one reason, and the Jonah example doesn't negate that. Unlike the Ninevites, those who go to Hell choose not to change their ways, and therefore God's warnings of punishment do come to fruition for them.

lilithu said:
Excellent post. If there is such a thing as free will then the Fall was inevitable. Sooner or later, Eve and/or Adam would have eaten the forbidden fruit simply because there existed the choice to do so. So how can they be condemned for eternity for that? And as you say, even if God can seperate the sheep from the goats and keep only the sheep, as long as there is free will, some of the sheep will turn goat again. As long as there is free will there will be another "Fall." And any place without free will is not a "heaven" that I want any part of.
Your argument here assumes that humans in heaven will remain the same and have the same type of will that they have on Earth. In the Christian view, this is not the case. Those in heaven have been transformed and no longer have even the desire to sin. It is no longer in their nature to sin, because they have been freed from that and made perfect.

One of my Universalist forefathers put it this way. Humans are finite. They are only capable of a finite amount of sin. So how can a just God submit us finite humans to an infinite punishment? If there is a hell, it cannot justly be permanent.
Unless, of course, the crimes committed are against an infinite God.

Darkness said:
What you are saying is that we forcefully choose to lock ourselves in Hell for Eternity?
That's essentially correct. We have the choice either to believe and obey God or not.

God is not even involved or is this just a pathetic attempt to make God look innocent?
No need to attempt anything or be pathetic about it...it's quite straightforward. God is not responsible for the sin we choose to commit.

Putting aside the problems of Heaven, God should bring us to Heaven because we are his sons and daughters, and He loves us.
So God should force us to be with Him even when we don't want to be?

Why should he give up on us for all eternity?
Why should we give up on Him for even an instant?

I do not worship any being.
Why not?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
FerventGodSeeker said:
Your argument here assumes that humans in heaven will remain the same and have the same type of will that they have on Earth. In the Christian view, this is not the case. Those in heaven have been transformed and no longer have even the desire to sin. It is no longer in their nature to sin, because they have been freed from that and made perfect.
As I said, no free will. It is not any "heaven" that I would want to be a part of. Even when I was a kid and a Christian believer, I was troubled by this prospect. But I was more afraid of hell. Only after I decided that I would rather go to hell did I free myself of the fear enough to start considering that there is another way to look at God.

FerventGodSeeker said:
Unless, of course, the crimes committed are against an infinite God.
So God takes it as an infinite afront against Him if someone steals a loaf of bread? That is a rather petty God.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
That's essentially correct. We have the choice either to believe and obey God or not.
By this reasoning, it is your fault you were killed by a psychopath weilding a gun, because you disobeyed him.

God says do what you wish, but make the wrong choice and you will be tortured for eternity in hell. That's not free will. It's like a man telling his girlfriend, do what you wish, but if you choose to leave me, I will track you down and blow your brains out. When a man says this we call him a psychopath. When god says the same we call him "loving" and build churches in his honor -- William C. Easttom

You don't think Buddha would want to be with God, even though he did not believe in Christianity?

Why should we give up on Him for even an instant?
Because he is invisible, because we have no proof he exists. Really, if God is perfect and we are imperfect, he should understand our imperfection and not judge us for not being God.

I see no hard evidence a God exists.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
FerventGodSeeker said:

I disagree with that logic. This question is based on the assumption that all who reject God are doing so after receiving "perfect" knowledge of who he is and what he does. A child seperated from his biological father might be fed all kinds of erroneous information about him from his mother, friends, relatives, or whomever, and might not have the chance to see firsthand who he is. For all the child knows, his father's a monster, and of course would not want any part of him.

So, on that note, the father feels that because his biological son continues to reject him, that it's perfectly understandable to stand by and watch if he knows his son is suffering immensely with illness or injury. Hmph. He was the one who rejected me. Why should I have anything to do with him since he made that decision to shut me out of his life?

To elevate the stakes higher with this parallel, the heavenly father feels it is "just" then to usher in those who rejected him based on misinformation or a misunderstanding. It is based on this logic alone why I reject such a creator God and this kind of justice. Absolutely flawed and void of compassion.

In this scenario, herein lies some of my problems with this particular Christian concept of hell as I understand it:

1) God is jealous. He sees himself as the very reason why you and I exist and feels that we owe him our allegiance.
2) God is powerless to reach those who reject him on misunderstandings.
3) God determines our circumstances at birth and environment for living, and therefore is very involved with our entrance into the world of his creation, but then decides to remain a "mystery" from then on out leaving us mostly in the dark as to who he is and what he desires. There is no straight consensus among theists as to what God truly wants from us for him.

There can't even be an agreement on the varying sins laid out in the ten commandments of, say, the taking of another's life.............."Thou shalt not kill" has perhaps been taken to mean "Thou shalt not murder" and therefore there is such a thing as a just killing? What about beliefs? Do they matter? To what extent? The very fact that THESE are debated amongst theists compells me to question how well they really know what their God wants.

I desire no part of that dilemma. All I care about is how one lives around others. What we do and our intentions behind them are what it all boils down to. Nice and caring people who go to hell? I'd prefer their company no matter where I'm at.

Peace,
Mystic

Polaris

Sorry FGS, I've got to side with the UU position on this one:

Humans are finite. They are only capable of a finite amount of sin. So how can a just God submit us finite humans to an infinite punishment? If there is a hell, it cannot justly be permanent.
I don't believe that God would force someone to hell for eternity based on certain poor decisions that one makes during this brief mortal existance. That is neither just nor merciful. An eternal black-or-white, heaven-or-hell philosophy makes no sense. I think Paul's analogy paints a much more reasonable picture:

"There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead." (1 Corinthians 15:40-42)

God has many different mansions prepared for the many different people who will merit different rewards and different levels of glory based on their own level of diligence and rightousness.

Those who failed to adequately repent of their sins will certainly have a payment required of them, but utlimately "every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess" that Jesus is the Christ. God's justice and mercy will win out and all will be rewarded with the portion of glory that is right for them. Eternity in hell is neither just nor merciful for those who were blinded by the craftiness of Satan.

lilithu said:
As I said, no free will.
On the contrary, one's will in heaven is quite free: free of evil.

It is not any "heaven" that I would want to be a part of.
So you want to be evil? Or at least, you want evil to always be available for you to choose? Why?

Even when I was a kid and a Christian believer, I was troubled by this prospect. But I was more afraid of hell. Only after I decided that I would rather go to hell did I free myself of the fear enough to start considering that there is another way to look at God.
I'm troubled by the prospect of a heaven where God is just one of many choices, where evil runs just as freely as good. That's no heaven I want any part of.

So God takes it as an infinite afront against Him if someone steals a loaf of bread? That is a rather petty God.
Any deviation from perfection is imperfection, no matter how small. It's not pettiness, it's insistence on holiness. If the infinite Creator of the universe says not to steal, and you do, yes you've committed an infinite affront against Him, as He created you and allows you every breath you take, and has offered you infinite bliss if you follow Him.

Darkness said:
By this reasoning, it is your fault you were killed by a psychopath weilding a gun, because you disobeyed him.
I've never met a psychopath who loved his victims enough to offer them eternal bliss at His own life's expense.

You don't think Buddha would want to be with God, even though he did not believe in Christianity?
I think Buddha wanted to be one with his conception of God; however, His conception of God was wholly inaccurate, I don't think he believed in the one true God.

Because he is invisible, because we have no proof he exists.
You think invisibility is an excuse for not believing in something? Breathe.

Really, if God is perfect and we are imperfect, he should understand our imperfection and not judge us for not being God.
God does not expect us to be God, so your reasoning is lacking here.

MysticSang'ha said:
I disagree with that logic. This question is based on the assumption that all who reject God are doing so after receiving "perfect" knowledge of who he is and what he does.
I don't believe that all people have perfect knowledge of God, I believe they have sufficient knowledge at their disposal.

A child seperated from his biological father might be fed all kinds of erroneous information about him from his mother, friends, relatives, or whomever, and might not have the chance to see firsthand who he is. For all the child knows, his father's a monster, and of course would not want any part of him.
Check out Romans 1-2 for an explanation as to why no one has such an excuse.

So, on that note, the father feels that because his biological son continues to reject him, that it's perfectly understandable to stand by and watch if he knows his son is suffering immensely with illness or injury. Hmph. He was the one who rejected me. Why should I have anything to do with him since he made that decision to shut me out of his life?
The Christian God never has this attitude. He is constantly, patiently, and lovingly stretching out His hand to His children and asking them to take it through His grace.

To elevate the stakes higher with this parallel, the heavenly father feels it is "just" then to usher in those who rejected him based on misinformation or a misunderstanding.
I don't know what you mean by "usher in"...do you mean condemn them?
Again, if you read Romans 2 you will notice that God judges hearts. He judges us based on what we do know.

It is based on this logic alone why I reject such a creator God and this kind of justice. Absolutely flawed and void of compassion.
You're on death row, and I walk into prison and take your place, die for your crimes, you walk away scot free and I offer you complete lifelong happiness, peace, and prosperity. How you consider that "void of compassion" is beyond me.

In this scenario, herein lies some of my problems with this particular Christian concept of hell as I understand it:

1) God is jealous. He sees himself as the very reason why you and I exist and feels that we owe him our allegiance.
Why do you see this as a problem. If God is both the Creator and the Sustainer of all life, then of course He is the very reason that we exist.

2) God is powerless to reach those who reject him on misunderstandings.
Untrue, cf. Romans 2

3) God determines our circumstances at birth and environment for living, and therefore is very involved with our entrance into the world of his creation, but then decides to remain a "mystery" from then on out leaving us mostly in the dark as to who he is and what he desires. There is no straight consensus among theists as to what God truly wants from us for him.
God will probably remain, to some extent, a mystery for all eternity; He is infinite and we are finite, we cannot possibly completely comprehend Him. Why does that bother you?
Secondly, there is straight concensus in Christ's Church as to what He wants from us.

There can't even be an agreement on the varying sins laid out in the ten commandments of, say, the taking of another's life.............."Thou shalt not kill" has perhaps been taken to mean "Thou shalt not murder" and therefore there is such a thing as a just killing?
Of course, or do you not believe in self-defense?

What about beliefs? Do they matter? To what extent? The very fact that THESE are debated amongst theists compells me to question how well they really know what their God wants.
All theists don't believe in the same God, so using "theists" to discuss the Christian God is the first issue with your analysis. The Christian Church does have unity of belief. Catholics argue quite strongly against the doctrinal disunity of other churches, particularly Protestant ones.

I desire no part of that dilemma. All I care about is how one lives around others. What we do and our intentions behind them are what it all boils down to. Nice and caring people who go to hell? I'd prefer their company no matter where I'm at.
The question is, how nice and caring does a person have to be? Is there a machine somewhere for us to measure "Niceness" so we can see who truly merits heaven?
Or, can we admit that NO ONE merits heaven? Wouldn't that be a novel concept. As I told Lilith, any deviation from complete perfection is imperfection. We are all imperfect, and have all chosen to do wrong in our lives. None of us deserves to stand in the presence of our perfect Creator, and He certainly doesn't owe it to us to allow us to stand in His presence, as we have all chosen to disobey Him.
The beauty of grace is that, in spite of our guiltiness, God chooses to allow us to stand in His presence, and He loves us deeply and is pleased when we are restored to Him.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
FerventGodSeeker said:
I don't believe that all people have perfect knowledge of God, I believe they have sufficient knowledge at their disposal.

Based on what? What knowledge can be measured as "sufficient?"

The Christian God never has this attitude. He is constantly, patiently, and lovingly stretching out His hand to His children and asking them to take it through His grace.

For only one lifetime that can't be determined by any of us? And, you forget that not all people are as lucky as you to have been introduced to the loving and attractive side of Christianity. Evil exists in every religion, and it has unfortunately been the face of Christianity for some - why would you or God judge those souls who have only that kind of knowledge of it?

You're on death row, and I walk into prison and take your place, die for your crimes, you walk away scot free and I offer you complete lifelong happiness, peace, and prosperity. How you consider that "void of compassion" is beyond me.

Completely irrelevent. Although, if you really do want to go there, there mere sentence of putting me on death row in the first place is void of compassion.

Why do you see this as a problem. If God is both the Creator and the Sustainer of all life, then of course He is the very reason that we exist.

I helped to create my children, although I don't feel they "owe" me anything. I expect them to respect my teachings, and when they are grown, they have their own lives to live. Ever read Khalil Gebran's The Prophet? I like the analogy of seeing our relationship to our children as a bow and arrow. When the arrow has been shot, it is not ours anymore. I do not see my children as possessions, and therefore a Creator God that does IS jealous and petty.

Of course, or do you not believe in self-defense?

There are plenty of ways to use self-defense without taking another life. Or do you not know any of the approaches for martial arts methods such as akido?

All theists don't believe in the same God, so using "theists" to discuss the Christian God is the first issue with your analysis. The Christian Church does have unity of belief. Catholics argue quite strongly against the doctrinal disunity of other churches, particularly Protestant ones.

I think you just contradicted yourself with the "unity" of belief and the "doctrinal disunity" between Catholics and Protestants. ;) This is particularly why I use the term theist because of such discord.

The question is, how nice and caring does a person have to be? Is there a machine somewhere for us to measure "Niceness" so we can see who truly merits heaven?
Or, can we admit that NO ONE merits heaven? Wouldn't that be a novel concept. As I told Lilith, any deviation from complete perfection is imperfection. We are all imperfect, and have all chosen to do wrong in our lives. None of us deserves to stand in the presence of our perfect Creator, and He certainly doesn't owe it to us to allow us to stand in His presence, as we have all chosen to disobey Him.
The beauty of grace is that, in spite of our guiltiness, God chooses to allow us to stand in His presence, and He loves us deeply and is pleased when we are restored to Him.

Or...........there is such as thing as the law of karma. There is no such need for a machine to measure "niceness" as there is no such need for a machine for gravity. It's funny how the law of karma can be understood in usual everyday life, but in death it seem that somehow karma and reason is just tossed out the window. As a Buddhist, I find that rather strange (as I'd said in another thread).

Who gets to merit heaven? Are you aware that there are plenty of people on this Earth who feel like they are in "heaven" and all the blissful emotions that go with it? They have their money, their security, their health, their strong marriage, their beautiful children, their house. And there are those that already are going through "hell?" The anger, the hatred, the feelings of vengeance, being clouded by rage...........we recognize that heaven and hell are the result of states of mind, not "places" that are waiting for us outside of our control because of our theological beliefs.

One could argue from your point of view that if no one truly deserves heaven, which is an eternal destination, then one surely does not deserve hell, which also is an eternal destination............by your definition. One falls short, perhaps, of perfection, but then one also falls short of pure evil, no?

BTW, I encourage you to read up on the lives of some of our tradition's lamas...........Padmasambhava has been said in many stories to have led a perfectly moral life in one complete human incarnation. Perfection IS possible. It is our birthright. It's called enlightenment. :)

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha said:
Based on what? What knowledge can be measured as "sufficient?"
Again, Romans 1-2 would really help to see the Christian perspective on this...if you want to go into specific verses we can.

For only one lifetime that can't be determined by any of us?
A lifetime is more than enough.

And, you forget that not all people are as lucky as you to have been introduced to the loving and attractive side of Christianity. Evil exists in every religion, and it has unfortunately been the face of Christianity for some - why would you or God judge those souls who have only that kind of knowledge of it?
God judges all souls based on what they do know, as I already said. He never judges unjustly.

Completely irrelevent.
If you think an innocent person dying in the place of another guilty person is "completely irrelevant" in the context of Christianity, you've missed basically the entire point of the Bible and the Christian faith.

Although, if you really do want to go there, there mere sentence of putting me on death row in the first place is void of compassion.
Actually in one sense I agree with you; it's not compassionate, it's just. Freeing you from that sentence even when you don't deserve to be freed (which the Christian God also does) is compassion.

I helped to create my children, although I don't feel they "owe" me anything. I expect them to respect my teachings,
So then they do owe you something: respect. Now multiply that respect infinitely in order to get a glimpse of what humans owe God.

and when they are grown, they have their own lives to live.
Sure, the Christian God allows you to do whatever you want. That doesn't mean there aren't consequences down the road for doing things that are wrong.

Ever read Khalil Gebran's The Prophet? I like the analogy of seeing our relationship to our children as a bow and arrow. When the arrow has been shot, it is not ours anymore.
Fortunately, the God I believe in does not just fling me in some desired direction and cross His fingers in the hope that I get where He desires me to go. My God is sovereign.

I do not see my children as possessions, and therefore a Creator God that does IS jealous and petty.
So because God is not like you, He must be wrong. You don't see anything slightly off with that perspective?

There are plenty of ways to use self-defense without taking another life. Or do you not know any of the approaches for martial arts methods such as akido?
Sadly self-defense is not quite as simplistic as that in all times. Not everyone knows akido, and guns have been invented.

I think you just contradicted yourself with the "unity" of belief and the "doctrinal disunity" between Catholics and Protestants. ;)
No, I didn't. Protestants are not in perfect union with the Church, and the Church itself is in fact unified.

Or...........there is such as thing as the law of karma. There is no such need for a machine to measure "niceness" as there is no such need for a machine for gravity. It's funny how the law of karma can be understood in usual everyday life, but in death it seem that somehow karma and reason is just tossed out the window.
Although sadly, even in everyday life karma does not always work out. I remember one of the Old Testament prophets who talked about the injustice of the fact that evil people always seem to prosper. Good people get trampled and evil people succeed, all the time. It's life, it happens every day. However, that's somewhat of a rabbit trail to our actual discussion. In order to merit heaven, which is a perfect place in the presence of a perfect God, we must ourselves be perfect. If we have ever done wrong in our lives, we are guilty. We can't go back and re-do our mistakes. Our sins are on our record and there's nothing we can do about them. Again, that's what makes grace so fascinating and amazing. God chooses to erase that sin from our record even when we ourselves can't.

Are you aware that there are plenty of people on this Earth who feel like they are in "heaven" and all the blissful emotions that go with it? They have their money, their security, their health, their strong marriage, their beautiful children, their house. And there are those that already are going through "hell?" The anger, the hatred, the feelings of vengeance, being clouded by rage.
Of course it is typical for people to feel like they are the apex of the human emotional and experiential range. It's been common for me to meet people who have felt like no one has ever felt like they do at that moment, either negatively or positively. We often feel as though no one has ever gone through the experiences we have gone through. It's a self-centered and ignorant approach to reality, but then, that's human nature for you.

..........we recognize that heaven and hell are the result of states of mind, not "places" that are waiting for us outside of our control because of our theological beliefs.
That's your opinion and I respect that.

One could argue from your point of view that if no one truly deserves heaven, which is an eternal destination, then one surely does not deserve hell, which also is an eternal destination............by your definition. One falls short, perhaps, of perfection, but then one also falls short of pure evil, no?
Incorrect. If you are made perfect, you go to heaven. If you are anything less than perfect, you cannot enter heaven, and therefore in the Christian context you go to Hell. For the record I think there's Scriptural reason to believe that there are levels of Hell, and not everyone receives the same punishment in Hell.

BTW, I encourage you to read up on the lives of some of our tradition's lamas...........Padmasambhava has been said in many stories to have led a perfectly moral life in one complete human incarnation. Perfection IS possible. It is our birthright. It's called enlightenment. :)
When you achieve it, let me know. :)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Aaahhhh, I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye, FGS. But, that's okey-dokey with me. If we continue on like this, we might just keep picking apart each others' sentences, and I'd worry that we'd be missing the forest for the trees. It'd be less of a debate than an argument. :eek:

Let's make a deal. I'll study Romans 1-2 and see what I come up with, and you go and study up on the Buddhist view of the laws of karma and impermanence to better understand each other. What say you? :flower:

http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/karma.html
http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/rebirth_reincarnation.html

We both actually agree on the existence of hell. *shock* Maybe we can go from there?

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha said:
Aaahhhh, I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye, FGS. But, that's okey-dokey with me. If we continue on like this, we might just keep picking apart each others' sentences, and I'd worry that we'd be missing the forest for the trees. It'd be less of a debate than an argument. :eek:
I try to avoid that, although on an Internet forum-style exchange it's hard not to pick apart sentences. I don't want to upset or frustrate you, and I'm happy to agree to disagree. I just like to make it as clear as possible why I believe the things I believe. I'm admittedly not as charitable as I could be when doing that. :sorry1:

Let's make a deal. I'll study Romans 1-2 and see what I come up with, and you go and study up on the Buddhist view of the laws of karma and impermanence to better understand each other. What say you? :flower:
I say :yes:

This thread isn't the best place to follow up on that, so maybe I'll PM you or something.

God Bless,
FGS

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
GeneCosta said:
Eternal hell isn't discipline. It's torture. Discipline is meant to correct someone so that they can make the right decision later on. There is no 'later on' in hell.
Humans have a hard time understanding what really matters.

Hell is the absense of God. Our choices here on earth either include God (love) or exclude him (hate). Unfortunately, most people just can't grasp how bad it is to be completely without God. Ergo, hell is described in the most heinous terms possible, so that we can understand ONE THING: We don't want to be there.

Does God send us to Hell? No... we choose to go there. Does God want us to make a better choice? You can bet your sweet bippy.

NonExistent

NetDoc said:
Humans have a hard time understanding what really matters.

Hell is the absense of God. Our choices here on earth either include God (love) or exclude him (hate). Unfortunately, most people just can't grasp how bad it is to be completely without God. Ergo, hell is described in the most heinous terms possible, so that we can understand ONE THING: We don't want to be there.

Does God send us to Hell? No... we choose to go there. Does God want us to make a better choice? You can bet your sweet bippy.
I never thought not believing in God makes you a hateful person...

Please tell me a valid reason God would have to burn us forever for simply not believing. That is completely useless

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
NonExistent said:
Please tell me a valid reason God would have to burn us forever for simply not believing. That is completely useless
How did you read my post and conclude that I believe that anyone will "burn forever"? Perhaps you just want to lash out at any and everyone who does not agree with you?

Again, you choose where you will spend eternity: either with or without God. Do you want to be with God whom you don't believe in? I see this as a bad choice.