• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Her penis" - not at all Orwellian - argh

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I think my examples fit with what Forest said in the video. Can you explain why don't?
And can you explain why you think a "tomboy" climbing a tree is an example of this?

Traditionally, women have worn their hair longer, and men have worn their hair shorter. Those have been part of the gender identities found in our culture. Remember when everyone was all upset that the Beatles had "long hair?" Why do you think that was?

Similarly, it's been traditional for girls to express themselves wearing pink, and for boys to express their gender identity by wearing blue. Boys who have worn pink have been traditionally views as "girly" types in our society (thankfully that is changing).

Those things are recognized in our cultures as "things girls do" and "things boys do."

Notice how your example of gender identity was for a "tomboy" to climb a tree. Would that be because traditionally, our culture views boys as the ones who climb trees, perhaps?

I believe that gender frequently operates independently from sexual identity.

As I recall, the reason we're focused on this exchange is because I'm critical of the video you provided. While I found much to be critical of, in the video, I focused on this direct quote:

"Gender is how an individual organism expresses their sexual identity in a cultural context".

It strikes me that you're defending the video you provided, correct? In that context, I don't think that an example like "long hair" has anything to do with sexual identity. Do you?

So again, can you provide an example that backs up the video's claim?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I believe that gender frequently operates independently from sexual identity.
It does. They're not one in the same.
As I recall, the reason we're focused on this exchange is because I'm critical of the video you provided. While I found much to be critical of, in the video, I focused on this direct quote:

"Gender is how an individual organism expresses their sexual identity in a cultural context".

It strikes me that you're defending the video you provided, correct? In that context, I don't think that an example like "long hair" has anything to do with sexual identity. Do you?
I literally just answered this in the post you're responding to.
So again, can you provide an example that backs up the video's claim?
I just gave you examples with explanations.
I asked you questions as well.

If you're just going to ignore everything I'm saying and not respond to the content of my posts or answer my questions, then I'm not sure why I'd continue to put in any effort. :shrug:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I just gave you examples with explanations.
I asked you questions as well.

If you're just going to ignore everything I'm saying and not respond to the content of my posts or answer my questions, then I'm not sure why I'd continue to put in any effort. :shrug:
I read your post 1181 several times. Is that the one you're referring to?

If so, you don't in any way answer the question of how gender ties into sexual identity. For the most part I don't have issues with your post 1181, but I do not understand how it addresses this claim:

Because as I've said a few times, things like long hair operate independently from sexual identity, correct?