• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Accuracy in Scripture

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Does it matter if if the stories in religious scripture actually took place?

What is more important in scripture, historical accuracy or the lessons that can be learned from it?

Discuss.
It depends on the type of scripture. If, say, the basis for the claim of a national homeland rests on a scriptural record about God physically guiding the ancestors to the promised land through miraculous events, and such claims lead to thousand years long wars around the said homeland then it may matter.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

What is more important in scripture, historical accuracy or the lessons that can be learned from it?

Discuss.
At issue with Hebrew scripture is the fact that it purports to be history and, therefore, more than exegesis.

So let me ask you: Does history matter?

Eli G

How could "lessons" be learned from some information that is not accurate?

The historical accuracy of the Bible proves that all other information it contains, including advices for daily living and promises for the future, is reliable.

exchemist

Veteran Member

The historical accuracy of the Bible proves that all other information it contains, including advices for daily living and promises for the future, is reliable.
This makes no sense. The historical accuracy of the bible is far from established. Even if it were, it would not follow that all its messages were reliable.

But, to your question, of course lessons can be learnt from something that is a story rather than a historical account. Have you never read a novel or seen a play?

Eli G

This makes no sense. The historical accuracy of the bible is far from established. Even if it were, it would not follow that all its messages were reliable.

But, to your question, of course lessons can be learnt from something that is a story rather than a historical account. Have you never read a novel or seen a play?
That's onlly your opinion ... The historical accuracy of the Bible have been more than established.

It is the historical "knowledge" that scholars have the one that is incomplete, doubtful and debatable, as long as they cannot verify if their historical hypotheses are true or not.

Do historians know everything about the kingdoms that surrounded Israel and of which the Bible gives us so many details? Are they completely sure that everything they say about the History is true? :rolleyes:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Like the historical accuracy of the introduction of camels in Jerusalem?

Like the elimination/extinction of the Canaanites?

Like the historical accuracy of Pontius Polite's accounts in government?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Discuss.
The second part of my answer is that for some scriptures, their historical accuracy does not matter. For example, the Gita positions itself as a scripture taught in the middle of a literal world war. Even if you do not believe in the historical accuracy of the said war and stories around it, the point of the Gita primarily deals with how to use and practice Indian spiritual and religious praxis effectively for guidance on the righteous paths and eventually to liberation amid the struggles of life without having to be a renunciate monk. Can a holy life be led in the real world where good and evil actions are rarely clear cut and multiple duties collide and clash with each other?
Thus for such scriptures the historical setting, while having a dramatic effect, does not make or break the reliability of what is being said.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That's onlly your opinion ... The historical accuracy of the Bible have been more than established.

It is the historical "knowledge" that scholars have the one that is incomplete, doubtful and debatable, as long as they cannot verify if their historical hypotheses are true or not.

Do historians know everything about the kingdoms that surrounded Israel and of which the Bible gives us so many details? Are they completely sure that everything they say about the History is true? :rolleyes:
Eh? That we don’t know the complete history of the region is not an argument that the bible is historically accurate, obviously. Whereas there are plenty of reasons to doubt the historical accuracy of the bible, the flood story and the Exodus story being perhaps the two best known examples. It is not only my opinion. It is the consensus of science and scholarship.

But [groan] I see now that you belong to a sect that frowns on higher education: Higher Education - Jehovah's Witness stance against university
so I expect you have already chosen the path of ignorance over knowledge. I think I’d better leave you to it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Eh? That we don’t know the complete history of the region is not an argument that the bible is historically accurate, obviously. Whereas there are plenty of reasons to doubt the historical accuracy of the bible, the flood story and the Exodus story being perhaps the two best known examples. It is not only my opinion. It is the consensus of science and scholarship.

But [groan] I see now that you belong to a sect that frowns on higher education: Higher Education - Jehovah's Witness stance against university
so I expect you have already chosen the path of ignorance over knowledge. I think I’d better leave you to it.

Well, to go even wider, any text that is complex enough for what it assumes about that world can be read as a narative about what is and what matters. That even goes for some texts involving science.
So in a sense, we are always playing is-ought and that is not limited to religion. It even happens in science for how we ought to understand and it is all over philsophy as that is the purpose of that. How to understand how we understand. :D

So yes, to learn to be skeptical in an abusrd sense includes being skeptical of even being skeptical.

Eli G

I can have a hint of the level of "education" of atheistic persons on this and other forums ... No, thank you.

How do you think the world would be a better place to live: full of college students or full of Jehovah's Witnesses?

This people of Jehovah's Witnesses is a highly educated international community like the one you will not find any other. I am proud to be an active member. :cool:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I can have a hint of the level of "education" of atheistic persons on this and other forums ... No, thank you.

How do you think the world would be a better place to live: full of college students or full of Jehovah's Witnesses?

This people of Jehovah's Witnesses is a highly educated international community like the one you will not find any other. I am proud to be an active member. :cool:
From what I have seen the Jehovah's Witnesses are the opposite of well educated. They are well indoctrinated. That is not the same thing at all.

lukethethird

unknown member

Discuss.
Having read The Bible I am not aware of any historical accuracy at all and I don't know what lessons can be learned from it, so for me it is not a go to book for those reasons.

Eli G

Having read The Bible I am not aware of any historical accuracy at all and I don't know what lessons can be learned from it, so for me it is not a go to book for those reasons.
Maybe because you have not a real History account to compare it to. :shrug:

exchemist

Veteran Member

Full of college students, obviously. I find the company of college students, their questioning, arguing and general intellectual liveliness, very stimulating. I found my own time as a college student, reading chemistry, the most mind-expanding period of my life and my son, who is now at university reading ancient history, has so much to teach me in a field I know little about.

Whereas I can think of barely any prospect more stultifying, suffocating, narrow and depressing than a world full of Jehovah’s Witnesses. (I suppose a world full of Scientologists would be worse, admittedly.) Above all, it is the deliberately willed ignorance that would make me long for death in such a world.

Last edited: