• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Case for the Resurrection of Jesus

Brian2

Veteran Member
Skeptics don't do history. Historians do. And they do it based on the available evidence. Why do you think the gospels were written before 70AD?

You haven't described anywhere why you think it takes faith to claim that "the gospels were written after 70AD." Perhaps you could explain here.

An argument that follows the rules of reason and logic. Preferably an argument with some corroborating evidence.

You still haven't explained how historians are not being neutral in their analysis of the historical events of the Bible. Just claiming their position isn't neutral doesn't make it so. And given that you don't seem to understand what "neutral" even means in the context of logic and reason, you've got some explaining to do.

Skeptics do and use history and if you don't see that the post 70AD date for the writing of the synoptic gospels is not a neutral dating by now, how is any more words going to help.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I have never understood the relevance of point 3 to such discussions. Surely seeing a ghost or having a vision has no connection to a physical resurrection however real it may seem.
Paul realized at that moment that he was persecuting those who followed Jesus and he was wrong...yes, I do believe that Paul had an encounter with Jesus and he recognized it as such. His mind and attitude changed at that moment.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Well, either way on what grounds can you say that it's unlikely that God wished to raise Jesus from the dead? It's true that God doesn't wish to raise most people but then again the case of Jesus doesn't fall in line with most people as the context of his life is religiously charged and his death offered a chance for divine vindication. In such a situation, it becomes far morely likely that God would wish to raise Jesus if his claims were true.

Licona actually brackets the question of God's existence to the scholar's "horizon" and doesn't just dismiss either naturalism or supernaturalism. Licona actually argues for the existence of God based on the resurrection argument being correct.

That Jesus was the only one raised was granted for the sake of the argument. Keep in mind also that we're dealing here with an argument that restricts itself to the very minimum of facts known as the historical bedrock. It doesn't presume the innerancy of the gospels.
It is rather important to realize that Jesus appeared to his disciples after his resurrection.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I'm sorry to tell you, but that's not rational or reasonable. It leads us to believe in all sorts of things that aren't true.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you don't really care if what you believe is actually true. You just want to believe it, regardless.
Because people who want to believe in as many true things as possible while not believing in as many false things as possible, wouldn't be using that as their methodology.

So are you saying that the Oxford historical academic standard has to be correct and what it shows us as being history is always correct?
I would say it is not neutral about the supernatural and can lead to us being told things by historians that aren't true.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Which doesn't address what I said nor respond to my questions. It's just another claim. Now you have friends who can detect undetectable things. Wow, cool. How are they, and you, doing this?

But you already know the answers to the questions you ask. We do not detect a God who is undetectable to science, by science, we detect this God in the way He gave us, faith.

"But we do not know what gravity is, or what matter is or what light is or what any physical thing is. We have names for them and can test them, but have no idea what they are, just what they do."

You may not. But others do.

Ideas change in science. I seem to remember seeing where science was saying that gravity is not a force but is a bending of the space time continuum. No matter. The thing is that we have no idea about the essence of what gravity, matter, time etc etc are but you demand a definition for God.

You know how we know this stuff? The scientific method.

Well we like to think we know I guess.

This was in response to, "But you just said god is a "living spirit." So is "spirit" an idea or is it an actual thing?
And now you claim "god is love."

So god is a "living spirit" or an "idea," like loving one's neighbour, and god is also "love." So god is just human ideas and emotions?"

Love exists within anyone who has a functional brain.

Consciousness is also a real thing, that as far as all evidence indicates, is a function of the brain.

That doesn't mean that "skeptics" don't find comfort in having loving relationships with people. Notice how your response doesn't really address my questions. All you came back with was your views on what you think skeptics think about love and consciousness.

So you believe in things that science cannot detect but not in the supernatural or God because they are undetectable by science.

Brian2

Veteran Member
So what does that tell us?

What does it tell you?

Why do you attribute them to god?

Faith.

I've never said what you believe isn't true. This is part of your continued misunderstanding of how logic and reason work.

You said that my belief in something does not make it real. I agree. I then said that your belief in something also does not make it real.
Sheesh it does not even matter now, it was so far back in the discussion that the point is lost.

What I have said is, you claim something is true; what reason do we have to believe that?

I guess you have no reason in to believe it with your world view and lack of faith.

I read the entirety of what you write every single time I reply to you.
But perhaps you should take your own advice because I just took the time to write out an explanation in order to help you understand how logic works, and you completely ignored it in your response to me here.

I don't think I ignored it, and I probably continued to try to show my logic in relation to the topic. But we can't keep saying the same things forever and expect a different result.

joelr

Since the spirit of the Son of God is present in the heart of the believer, having sent the promised helper of the Spirit of Truth as promised, the average believer's faith in Christ is much greater than their knowledge of the imperfectly preserved Gospels of the Bible. In part that's why Jesus didn't write things himself nor direct ANY of his apostles to do so while he was still on earth; he would soon write his Living Book, the Word of Truth on the hearts of his disciples and ALL truth seekers around the world!

Its not so much that people read the Bible and then find God, people find God and then read the Bible or any number of other religious books that contain spiritual truth.

Urantia Book revelation 1955:

2. The Gospel of Matthew. The so-called Gospel according to Matthew is the record of the Master’s life which was written for the edification of Jewish Christians. The author of this record constantly seeks to show in Jesus’ life that much which he did was that “it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet.” Matthew’s Gospel portrays Jesus as a son of David, picturing him as showing great respect for the law and the prophets.

121:8.5 (1341.6) The Apostle Matthew did not write this Gospel. It was written by Isador, one of his disciples, who had as a help in his work not only Matthew’s personal remembrance of these events but also a certain record which the latter had made of the sayings of Jesus directly after the crucifixion. This record by Matthew was written in Aramaic; Isador wrote in Greek. There was no intent to deceive in accrediting the production to Matthew. It was the custom in those days for pupils thus to honor their teachers.

121:8.6 (1342.1) Matthew’s original record was edited and added to in a.d. 40 just before he left Jerusalem to engage in evangelistic preaching. It was a private record, the last copy having been destroyed in the burning of a Syrian monastery in a.d. 416.

121:8.7 (1342.2) Isador escaped from Jerusalem in a.d. 70 after the investment of the city by the armies of Titus, taking with him to Pella a copy of Matthew’s notes. In the year 71, while living at Pella, Isador wrote the Gospel according to Matthew. He also had with him the first four fifths of Mark’s narrative.

The Urantia Book Paper 121 The Times of Michael’s Bestowal

"
Fiction isn't an answer to historical knowledge about Matthew. Please demonstrate evidence that the Urantia Book is an actual revelation.
You have dropped an ancient myth and bought into a modern myth. What method do you use to show this is more reliable than other modern myths?

Colt

Historians say that logically they do not know if prophecy is real and so they can reject prophecies in the Bible and say they were written after the fact.
Then they can use that to show that the gospels must have been written after 70AD.
It's all logical, yes, and neutral to the idea of the supernatural and to the history written about the Bible, no.
There was an “assumption” that the resurrected Jesus would soon return from heaven to fulfill the erroneous expectations of a Jewish Messiah, so there wasn’t an urgent need to write books about what he said.

Colt

Fiction isn't an answer to historical knowledge about Matthew. Please demonstrate evidence that the Urantia Book is an actual revelation.
You have dropped an ancient myth and bought into a modern myth. What method do you use to show this is more reliable than other modern myths?
Your claim that Mattew is a myth is a matter of your atheist faith. I have no scientific proof for spiritual truth.

101:2.1 (1105.5) The fact of religion consists wholly in the religious experience of rational and average human beings. And this is the only sense in which religion can ever be regarded as scientific or even psychological. The proof that revelation is revelation is this same fact of human experience: the fact that revelation does synthesize the apparently divergent sciences of nature and the theology of religion into a consistent and logical universe philosophy, a co-ordinated and unbroken explanation of both science and religion, thus creating a harmony of mind and satisfaction of spirit which answers in human experience those questionings of the mortal mind which craves to know how the Infinite works out his will and plans in matter, with minds, and on spirit.

101:2.2 (1106.1) Reason is the method of science; faith is the method of religion; logic is the attempted technique of philosophy. Revelation compensates for the absence of the morontia viewpoint by providing a technique for achieving unity in the comprehension of the reality and relationships of matter and spirit by the mediation of mind. And true revelation never renders science unnatural, religion unreasonable, or philosophy illogical.

101:2.3 (1106.2) Reason, through the study of science, may lead back through nature to a First Cause, but it requires religious faith to transform the First Cause of science into a God of salvation; and revelation is further required for the validation of such a faith, such spiritual insight.

101:2.4 (1106.3) There are two basic reasons for believing in a God who fosters human survival:

101:2.5 (1106.4) 1. Human experience, personal assurance, the somehow registered hope and trust initiated by the indwelling Thought Adjuster.

101:2.6 (1106.5) 2. The revelation of truth, whether by direct personal ministry of the Spirit of Truth, by the world bestowal of divine Sons, or through the revelations of the written word." UB 1955

joelr

But you already know the answers to the questions you ask. We do not detect a God who is undetectable to science, by science, we detect this God in the way He gave us, faith.
There is no God who gave faith. That is a story that most religions and cults tell members because they lack proper evidence. But faith is a work.
Muslims have pure faith that Allah is the only true God and his word is the only true word of God. Mormons have faith that their Bible is the actual truth and they have faith that they are having a personal relationship with Jesus. Hindus have faith they are having a personal relationship with Krishna.
The claims are 100% exactly the same and equally as intense and certain.
Demonstrating that when people are told something is true and a deity is real and loves followers they will create that feeling in their mind and feel it is 100% true. Yet, it isn't. It can be demonstrated that all of those other religions are false (at least you believe so). So it's a fact faith can create a false sense of certainty.
Race supremacists, KKK members can also claim they know through faith that they are correct.
Faith is not a path to truth.

"Faith is vital for the discharge of devotional service. In Bhagavad-gita (9.3) Krishna says, “Those who are not faithful in this devotional service cannot attain Me, O conqueror of enemies. Therefore they return to the path of birth and death in this material world.” Srila Prabhupada writes in his purport that without faith we cannot attain Krishna. Faith, he says, is developed by associating with devotees. Without such association, we cannot become fully faithful.

There are three degrees of faith. The lowest type gives only enough faith to bring us into the association of devotees but is not based strongly enough on scriptural knowledge or belief in the truth of scripture to keep us there. The second type is firmer, and although we may not be conversant in scripture, we believe in the truth taught there. A devotee with the highest type of faith has firm conviction as well as firm knowledge of the scriptures.

When we as aspiring devotees consider the question of faith, we often assume we already possess it. After all, we are faithfully prosecuting our sadhana, our regulated spiritual practices. But faith is a live issue. It is not some- thing that once achieved remains vibrant without further thought. That is especially true for those of us who grew up in an environment of skepticism and were taught to challenge faith.

Simply by raising one's staunch faith in Kṛṣṇa and His instructions, one can understand reality without a doubt (asaṁśayaṁ samagraṁ mām). One can understand how Kṛṣṇa's material and spiritual energies are working and how He is present everywhere although everything is not Him. This philosophy of acintya-bhedābheda, inconceivable oneness and difference, is the perfect philosophy enunciated by the Vaiṣṇavas. (Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam 7.15.58)

Read more: https://vanipedia.org/wiki/Faith_in_Krishna_-_an_essential_subject#ixzz8BrUDeMfW

"Anything could have happened though at last but yet she handed over her Dignity and Respect in Krishna's hands...this is real Faith and Belief…
Krishna is always with us. We need to Find him and Love him…

Faith on Krishna can do Miracles❣️"

sound familar?

Just within your Gods "faith" he gave you you now have - "There are more than 45,000 denominations globally."
In a broader sense:
"Christianity is divided between Eastern and Western theology. In these two divisions there are six branches: Catholicism, Protestantism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Anglicanism, Oriental Orthodoxy, and Assyrians. Restorationism is sometimes considered the seventh branch."

Each group who uses "faith" from the same God finds the others to be heretics, many believe other groups are going to hell. Everyone not a Jehovas Witness is going to hell at the rapture, coming soon. Once again, demonstrating it's completely made up and there is no real version because the contradictions cannot be resolved.
Did you study every group to see who has the least contradictions in your opinion? No? You just bought a story and decided you are in the right version? Uh huh.

Would you fly on a plane that had 45,000 different ideas about how to build it properly? Are there 45,000 periodic tables, 45,000 laws of energy conservation, 45,000 quantum mechanics, 45,000 theory of evolution?

Ideas change in science. I seem to remember seeing where science was saying that gravity is not a force but is a bending of the space time continuum. No matter. The thing is that we have no idea about the essence of what gravity, matter, time etc etc are but you demand a definition for God.
Ideas in science do not justify a theistic God with ZERO evidence.
But science does not change in the way stated. New frontier science changes. Established science is REFINED.
Newtonian gravitational equations are STILL USED in space travel. Einstein created a math to pry deeper into what gravity is. Newton did not claim to know or say what gravity is. He called it a "force" because he didn't know what it was he just knew the mathematical laws.
General Relativity USES Newtons equations but continues to define gravity in a deeper way.
The basic laws of thermodynamics, energy conservation, are not going to change, just be refined with deeper theories.

So using a lack of knowledge in science to forward bad apologetics is spreading mis-information.

God isn't defined because there is no universal definition and it's not even a real thing.
Ridiculous theologian definitions like "the most basic substance that is non-divisible" could be a real thing. But adding consciousness to it.......nope.
So you believe in things that science cannot detect but not in the supernatural or God because they are undetectable by science.
There is obviously many things science has not yet detected. That doesn't mean Zeus or Thor or any Near Eastern God is going to be real. Yahweh is a typical Near Eastern deity, which you can read about in Hebrew Bible professor Francesca Stavrakopoulou's new book, God: An Anatomy

The supernatural does not need be part of any new science not yet detectable. The supernatural, if detected, does not need to contain any of the man-made Gods like Yahweh, Thor, Osirus or Krishna.
The modern Yahweh is completely different than the original and influenced by the Hellenistic NT and then

Tertullian, Origen, Agustine, Boethius, Anslem, Aquinas,.....all based on older Greek philosophy.

Don't think so? A historian/Pastor goes over all of the evidence here:

Plato and Christianity

and ends with
"In some sense Christianity is taking Greco-Roman moral philosophy and theology and delivering it to the masses, even though they are unaware"

Total fiction.

Also this is a fallacy, you manipulated his words and argued a strawman.
We all know that science is going to detect new things. We DO NOT know what they will be and if anything supernatural will be part of those discoveries.
Are you tired at all of twisting words, using fallacies, reliance on non-evidence and flawed methods of knowing what is true, all to force a narrative to be real?

joelr

Your claim that Mattew is a myth is a matter of your atheist faith.

No it's a matter of the real world evidence, internal to the Gospels and external.

Evidence compiled here by a scholar:

And includes quotes from the well established Oxford Annotated Bible
(a compilation of multiple scholars summarizing dominant scholarly trends for the last 150 years)

"Neither the evangelists nor their first readers engaged in historical analysis. Their aim was to confirm Christian faith (Lk. 1.4; Jn. 20.31). Scholars generally agree that the Gospels were written forty to sixty years after the death of Jesus. They thus do not present eyewitness or contemporary accounts of Jesus’ life and teachings."

"Unfortunately, much of the general public is not familiar with scholarly resources like the one quoted above; instead, Christian apologists often put out a lot of material, such as The Case For Christ, targeted toward lay audiences, who are not familiar with scholarly methods, in order to argue that the Gospels are the eyewitness testimonies of either Jesus’ disciples or their attendants. The mainstream scholarly view is that the Gospels are anonymous works, written in a different language than that of Jesus, in distant lands, after a substantial gap of time, by unknown persons, compiling, redacting, and inventing various traditions, in order to provide a narrative of Christianity’s central figure—Jesus Christ—to confirm the faith of their communities.

As scholarly sources like the Oxford Annotated Bible note, the Gospels are not historical works (even if they contain some historical kernels). I have discussed elsewhere some of the reasons why scholars recognize that the Gospels are not historical in their genre, purpose, or character in my article “Ancient Historical Writing Compared to the Gospels of the New Testament.” However, I will now also lay out a resource here explaining why many scholars likewise doubt the traditional authorial attributions of the Gospels."

Faith is not needed because in the real world there is evidence. The same evidence you may use to determine Zeus or Osirus is fiction.
If you choose to ignore it and continue to uninformed that is a personal choice.

I have no scientific proof for spiritual truth.
That is not an answer. Unless you are comfortable leaving at you just believe something someone else claims?

-Spiritual truth definition: Spiritual means relating to people's thoughts and beliefs

Spiritual truth is subjective. But the source isn't. Provide evidence your spiritual truth is from a deity rather than a person who wrote a book and claimed to be getting revelations.
Like Mormonism, JW, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Jesus in Australia right now, Conversations With God, Abraham, Bashar (channeling advanced spiritual aliens), Cargo cults, and many more, wow, looks like a trending situation. Therefore it probably is and you need a method to demonstrate this one isn't.

By what method do you demonstrate your thing is actually revelations and all others or some other are not. If you have none you have probably been taken in by a cult.

101:2.1 (1105.5) The fact of religion consists wholly in the religious experience of rational and average human beings. And this is the only sense in which religion can ever be regarded as scientific or even psychological. The proof that revelation is revelation is this same fact of human experience: the fact that revelation does synthesize the apparently divergent sciences of nature and the theology of religion into a consistent and logical universe philosophy, a co-ordinated and unbroken explanation of both science and religion, thus creating a harmony of mind and satisfaction of spirit which answers in human experience those questionings of the mortal mind which craves to know how the Infinite works out his will and plans in matter, with minds, and on spirit.

101:2.2 (1106.1) Reason is the method of science; faith is the method of religion; logic is the attempted technique of philosophy. Revelation compensates for the absence of the morontia viewpoint by providing a technique for achieving unity in the comprehension of the reality and relationships of matter and spirit by the mediation of mind. And true revelation never renders science unnatural, religion unreasonable, or philosophy illogical.

101:2.3 (1106.2) Reason, through the study of science, may lead back through nature to a First Cause, but it requires religious faith to transform the First Cause of science into a God of salvation; and revelation is further required for the validation of such a faith, such spiritual insight.

101:2.4 (1106.3) There are two basic reasons for believing in a God who fosters human survival:

101:2.5 (1106.4) 1. Human experience, personal assurance, the somehow registered hope and trust initiated by the indwelling Thought Adjuster.

101:2.6 (1106.5) 2. The revelation of truth, whether by direct personal ministry of the Spirit of Truth, by the world bestowal of divine Sons, or through the revelations of the written word." UB 1955
Again, quoting fiction isn't going to help. Please demonstrate this writing is from a deity and not made up by a person.

Reading it.....yeah, that's made up by a person. WAY below the level of someone like Kant.

In fact it's a buch of crankity, crank.

"the fact that revelation does synthesize the apparently divergent sciences of nature and the theology of religion into a consistent and logical universe philosophy, a co-ordinated and unbroken explanation of both science and religion, thus creating a harmony of mind and satisfaction of spirit which answers in human experience those questionings of the mortal mind which craves to know how the Infinite works out his will and plans in matter, with minds, and on spirit."

right. And he does this where? Please show me the co-ordinated and unbroken explanation of both science and religion. Then show how the how the Infinite works out his will.

"faith is the method of religion"

Not really. In the entire Bible everyone gets all sorts of supernatural demonstrations. From Yahweh in a cloud/fire chariot with a booming voice to Jesus flying away into space and Saints raising.

""And true revelation never renders science unnatural, religion unreasonable, or philosophy illogical."
It also never says anything a human couldn't come up with based on current knowledge, no exception here

"and revelation is further required for the validation of such a faith, such spiritual insight."

No, that just convinces people who already want to be convinced. Some demonstration of God powers and knowledge far beyond ours would work (none of that to be found here)

"There are two basic reasons for believing in a God who fosters human survival:
101:2.5 (1106.4) 1. Human experience, personal assurance, the somehow registered hope and trust initiated by the indwelling Thought Adjuster."

Great, people have only known this since the Ancient Greeks and surely far before? Except "indwelling thought adjuster" ...when they start using words in a weird way they are trying too hard.

" The revelation of truth, whether by direct personal ministry of the Spirit of Truth, by the world bestowal of divine Sons, or through the revelations of the written word."

Oh brother. Wow, a new trinity. Personal Ministry, Spirit of Truth, written Revelations. More claims, no evidence.

Colt

No it's a matter of the real world evidence, internal to the Gospels and external.

Evidence compiled here by a scholar:

And includes quotes from the well established Oxford Annotated Bible
(a compilation of multiple scholars summarizing dominant scholarly trends for the last 150 years)

"Neither the evangelists nor their first readers engaged in historical analysis. Their aim was to confirm Christian faith (Lk. 1.4; Jn. 20.31). Scholars generally agree that the Gospels were written forty to sixty years after the death of Jesus. They thus do not present eyewitness or contemporary accounts of Jesus’ life and teachings."

"Unfortunately, much of the general public is not familiar with scholarly resources like the one quoted above; instead, Christian apologists often put out a lot of material, such as The Case For Christ, targeted toward lay audiences, who are not familiar with scholarly methods, in order to argue that the Gospels are the eyewitness testimonies of either Jesus’ disciples or their attendants. The mainstream scholarly view is that the Gospels are anonymous works, written in a different language than that of Jesus, in distant lands, after a substantial gap of time, by unknown persons, compiling, redacting, and inventing various traditions, in order to provide a narrative of Christianity’s central figure—Jesus Christ—to confirm the faith of their communities.

As scholarly sources like the Oxford Annotated Bible note, the Gospels are not historical works (even if they contain some historical kernels). I have discussed elsewhere some of the reasons why scholars recognize that the Gospels are not historical in their genre, purpose, or character in my article “Ancient Historical Writing Compared to the Gospels of the New Testament.” However, I will now also lay out a resource here explaining why many scholars likewise doubt the traditional authorial attributions of the Gospels."

Faith is not needed because in the real world there is evidence. The same evidence you may use to determine Zeus or Osirus is fiction.
If you choose to ignore it and continue to uninformed that is a personal choice.

That is not an answer. Unless you are comfortable leaving at you just believe something someone else claims?

-Spiritual truth definition: Spiritual means relating to people's thoughts and beliefs

Spiritual truth is subjective. But the source isn't. Provide evidence your spiritual truth is from a deity rather than a person who wrote a book and claimed to be getting revelations.
Like Mormonism, JW, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Jesus in Australia right now, Conversations With God, Abraham, Bashar (channeling advanced spiritual aliens), Cargo cults, and many more, wow, looks like a trending situation. Therefore it probably is and you need a method to demonstrate this one isn't.

By what method do you demonstrate your thing is actually revelations and all others or some other are not. If you have none you have probably been taken in by a cult.

Again, quoting fiction isn't going to help. Please demonstrate this writing is from a deity and not made up by a person.

Reading it.....yeah, that's made up by a person. WAY below the level of someone like Kant.

In fact it's a buch of crankity, crank.

"the fact that revelation does synthesize the apparently divergent sciences of nature and the theology of religion into a consistent and logical universe philosophy, a co-ordinated and unbroken explanation of both science and religion, thus creating a harmony of mind and satisfaction of spirit which answers in human experience those questionings of the mortal mind which craves to know how the Infinite works out his will and plans in matter, with minds, and on spirit."

right. And he does this where? Please show me the co-ordinated and unbroken explanation of both science and religion. Then show how the how the Infinite works out his will.

"faith is the method of religion"

Not really. In the entire Bible everyone gets all sorts of supernatural demonstrations. From Yahweh in a cloud/fire chariot with a booming voice to Jesus flying away into space and Saints raising.

""And true revelation never renders science unnatural, religion unreasonable, or philosophy illogical."
It also never says anything a human couldn't come up with based on current knowledge, no exception here

"and revelation is further required for the validation of such a faith, such spiritual insight."

No, that just convinces people who already want to be convinced. Some demonstration of God powers and knowledge far beyond ours would work (none of that to be found here)

"There are two basic reasons for believing in a God who fosters human survival:
101:2.5 (1106.4) 1. Human experience, personal assurance, the somehow registered hope and trust initiated by the indwelling Thought Adjuster."

Great, people have only known this since the Ancient Greeks and surely far before? Except "indwelling thought adjuster" ...when they start using words in a weird way they are trying too hard.

" The revelation of truth, whether by direct personal ministry of the Spirit of Truth, by the world bestowal of divine Sons, or through the revelations of the written word."

Oh brother. Wow, a new trinity. Personal Ministry, Spirit of Truth, written Revelations. More claims, no evidence.
LoL! You put soooooo much effort into your atheist faith! You are only convincing yourself of your own doubts!

"A one-eyed person can never hope to visualize depth of perspective. Neither can single-eyed material scientists nor single-eyed spiritual mystics and allegorists correctly visualize and adequately comprehend the true depths of universe reality. All true values of creature experience are concealed in depth of recognition."

rocala

Paul realized at that moment that he was persecuting those who followed Jesus and he was wrong...yes, I do believe that Paul had an encounter with Jesus and he recognized it as such. His mind and attitude changed at that moment.
The thread is about the physical resurrection of Jesus. I am not saying that Paul did not have this experience, I am saying that it is not evidence of a physical resurrection.

Brian2

Veteran Member
There was an “assumption” that the resurrected Jesus would soon return from heaven to fulfill the erroneous expectations of a Jewish Messiah, so there wasn’t an urgent need to write books about what he said.

The urgency was to spread the gospel, true. Then the true gospel had to be preserved in writing.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
So no faith beliefs can be true?

By sheer accident, sure.
Like a broken clock, which is also correct twice a day.

Here's the thing though.... if the thing is believed on faith, how could you even find out if it's true?
You would require verifiable evidence for that... and if you have that, then you would have no need for faith....

So yea... Thanks for playing.

I'm tired of being accused of such things.
Well..... Stop doing them